Caribou Gear Tarp

2012 Nevada mule deer mount

I seen one like that near my hunting grounds twice. I never could get close enough to it for an archery gear shot. They dont get that big being stupid. Yours has nicer dark antlers than the one i saw did.
Congrats!

Gorgeous! Tell us about your taxidermy experience. How did you learn?

For one thing, I learned slowly! I have some old mounts that would make you laugh. In 1967 I drew a mountain goat tag, got a nice trophy and knew I'd want to have it mounted. I couldn't afford it so I mounted it myself, learning as I went by asking people who knew something about it a lot of questions. I spent a lot of time in the back room of taxidermy shops.

In my opinion, mounting an animal is relatively easy. However, getting it to look real like its alive is most difficult to learn. I'm still learning after all these years. I still have trouble with mule deer ears.

My background is that I've mainly done taxidermy as a hobby but for 38-years I did it as a moonlight job/business which helped fund my most avid intrests - hunting and fishing. Mounting fish was the main thing I did and I gained a good reputation. I also mounted a considerable number of game heads during that time. My favorite was wild sheep.

Back