2008 hog hunt

snake river rufus

Right now it looks like we are going to hunt on Santa Rita ranches. No limit on hogs, bobcats or coyotes. 2 javalina. $125 a day lodging included, planning on 3 days. We will have to cook for ourselves but the kitchen has utensils and there is a shooting range and cold storage. The ranch is S. of San Antonio, neer Freer Tx.
[email protected] is the ranchers e-mail addy.
If anybody has anything good or bad to say about this place, please let me know and if you are interested in going along sign up here.

I'd be interested in hearing how the trips turns out. Hogs and javalina's are on my short list of critters to chase!

2 javelina is the state set annual limit on any liscense here, including the $45 over the counter one to cover that hunt described, hogs, varmints and javelina. I've shot a bunch of hogs and javelina near Freer, just I don't know that particular place, but do know both animals can be pretty thick down there in that area. Feb.20, March 21, and April 20 are the full moon nights, good for getting hogs if you hunt near those dates.

SRR- Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll be able to swing it this year. But, looking forward to your report on the place.

Javelina, you have to day hunt by state law, Hogs, you can hunt either way, i.e. day or night, by state law, IF you have landowner permission. Most places have, i.e. give permission for, night hunting of hogs as well as day hunting for the hogs as it is more productive at night. It gets more like archery hunting at night though, as they have to be pretty close to see them. The full moon helps with a regular scope, but sports stores around here and on the internet sell lights for your gun or bow to help see the hogs at night.

The date is still up in the air. Since I only hunt 2 legged game after sunset we'll be going during the new moon. I'm thinking about limiting this one to 10 people, three have signed on.

That's turkey season too, in a lot of the state. Its an over the counter liscense also for non-residents, with 4 turkey tags. I'm not sure if you got that liscense, if it would also cover hogs, but it might and its easy to check. Mostly Rio Grande's here, but some counties in the east part of the state are eastern turkeys with a separate shorter season in part of April. Turkey load and buckshot and you're good, if a hog comes by or appears while turkey hunting.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back