Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2006 Colorado muley hunt.........

Hiker

We hunted a second choice area this year. We applied for a 4th season tag as our first choice but we didn't have a enough PP's to draw. We hunted hard everyday and covered many miles but only saw a few bucks. The bucks we saw were smaller ones and we wanted to get a "shooter" buck, 24" or larger. The night before we came home I decided to shoot this buck and I'm thankful to shoot a muley again, as it's been a few years since I've taken one. Last year I ate tag soup for both Wyoming and Colorado and really wanted to get a mature muley but that will have to wait until next year. I shot him right at last light, I knew I hit him hard but I couldn't find him. Cort and I zigged zagged back and forth for 400-500 yards with our flash light but could not find him. We like to use this grid pattern and it has worked for us in the past but not this time. We decided to go to camp and come back at first light and try to find him. In the morning Cort went hunting and I went looking for my buck and around two hours later I found him. He was a tenth of a mile away from where we gave up the night before. I gutted and skinned him out. We decided to quarter him and haul him out rather then dragging him 1 mile "all uphill". It was a good workout and a good test for my pelvis, which was really busted up a few years ago in a car wreck.

Attachments

• 06 Colorado Muley.jpg
    06 Colorado Muley.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 06 Colorado Muley Cort packout.jpg
    06 Colorado Muley Cort packout.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 412
  • 06 Colorado Muley packout.jpg
    06 Colorado Muley packout.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 413
  • 06 Colorado Muley Hunt photos.jpg
    06 Colorado Muley Hunt photos.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 405
  • 06 Wilderness area.jpg
    06 Wilderness area.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 400
Nice buck hiker. You take good pics and write a good story like some of the other posters here.

Good looking buck there hiker and nice story. Glad you found him. What unit were you hunting if I may ask. Good looking country.

Thanks everyone! We had a good time. After packing that thing out on our backs, I don't think I'll ever drag one out again.
Oak, I thought you'd reconize it, not to far from your old stomping ground. Ridge Runner, 35.
280Rem. I hear you nailed a monster in MT. Congrats my friend. How about posting some photos and sharing the hunt with us here at Hunttalk.

It's posted Hiker, It sounds like you had a work out. I was fortunate, only had to drag mine about 50 yards, But it was all uphill. That's some beautiful country in your pictures. Did you get your Montana Elk?

280rem, I just got back from Montana. Carl and I had a great time but didn't connect on a bull. We saw a lot of girls and one spike but no legal bulls. We went 5 for 5 on Muleys. I'll try to post some photos later. Good job on your buck, he is a dandy.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back