2005 Montana Whitetails

Buzz gave me crap in Wyoming about having an ATV along, but when he was in MT this is what he was using.
Truck%20Rack%20Front.jpg
Those little shelves work great for stashing beer and extra ammo. The high-rack is a legendary tool in Texas, but one must be stealthy to avoid Game Wardens when using them in Montana.

Chambero,

The whitetails I hunt in Montana never see an agricultural field their entire lives. Its all public land hunting, but with light hunting pressure.

My hunting method is a mixture of a couple different techniques that I learned the hard way through hunting my spot for 25 years.

I've kept very detailed journal notes about best time of year, specific areas, rut activity, etc.

I usually hike 5-9 miles per day to reach my favorite spots, although there's deer everywhere. I like to hike slowly up to areas where I can see a lot of country and glass. I have a half dozen spots where this is possible. I have other areas that I still hunt through very slowly in very thick timber. I also have areas where I'll walk one ridge and look across a drainage to another ridge (usally 200-300 yards across), hoping to catch deer on adjacent side-hills. I've also found some areas that I watch in the early morning and late evening hours. These areas usually have relatively thick cover. I approach these areas very cautiously paying particular attention to keep the wind right.

I use a variety of techniques and hunt different areas and ways depending on the conditions. Every whitetail I've killed has been with my feet on terra-firma. Never hunted out of a tree stand.

I guess you could call it modified still-hunting with spot and stalk and plenty of glassing.

I've killed them a variety of ways...I killed one while tracking a raghorn bull...jumped him out of his bed and killed him at 40 yards. Killed them by spot and stalk, killed them while still-hunting, and by just watching likely areas. The rut really helps things, and its key from the 20th of November on to be VERY, VERY patient anytime you see does. Its also the time of year to be out all day, from daylight to dark. I've found the best hunting to be from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm during peak rut activity.

I usually see 10-20 bucks per day and around 60-80 deer. I normally see a few elk as well, and I've killed 20 or so elk in the same area I hunt whitetails in.

I'm sure my methods would give a good whitetail hunter a heart attack. But, it works for me and I have an absolute blast hunting them.

Greenhorn,

You bastage, my secret is out! Looks like I'll have to find a new technique. Just when I had it all figured out too.

Those were killed right off the road between Missoula and Whitefish...,,,, nice deer Buzzz much bigger [body] than coues... congrats.

Thanks for the reply Buzz. That is all I was looking for in the way of a response. To those interested, I certainly wasn't asking for a "where" and am somewhat surprised a the comments my question generated.

I do live in Texas and we do hunt whitetails over feeders. But I've never hunted a high-fenced place and have certainly never used one of the ridiculous "hunting buggies".

I saw a huge whitetail on a ranch that I hunted in NE Wyoming this fall. The owner was allowing us to hunt mulies but not whitetails. I saw this particular deer several times and thought that you might could hunt whitetails in that kind of country using "spot and stalk". From Buzz's pictures I was guessing that was how he did it but wasn't sure. It just doesn't work down in our country for whatever reason unless you are in really open country. I really wish it did.

Our "blind" hunting is great for breaking kids into the sport though. Took my three-year old and six year old boys on our place Saturday night. Had a wonderful time just watching deer. My oldest is really learning to "see" deer. It is quite rewarding to watch his development.

JoseCuervo said:
I think they hunt like they do in Texas, with big hunting buggies, automated corn feeders, and heated elevated shooting huts..... :rolleyes:

Either that, or they get out of the rig and start using up boot leather to get to an area that has been scouted and then start hunting "Western" whitetails.

Chambero, you can't be polite enough to escape Jose's sarcasm & smug sanctimony. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the detailed answer Buzz. I was curious myself.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back