2 Hunting Questions

Take whatever rifle you feel most confident with. If you want, I'll pack a back-up rifle in case you drop and break yours. That way I can shoot a spike bull, and a forky muley, and a village idiot 80 pound blacky, and I hear there may be wolves in there too!

Get the best boots you can. I used North Face mountaineering boots and they did OK. This year I have Meindel's Canadian hunters and I think I'll like them more.

LOL on the Wolves ;) I'll have a Deer/Elk tag Too, But I'm only packing out a Spike Elk, Anything more would be CRAZY !!!!!

T-bone, I'm OK with you having a Backup Rifle ..for....Deer or 80# bear. I can Edit Video so it only sounds lIke one shot, but I'm coming out with a Sheep :D

Meindls, BuckSpy and T-bone mensioned them. What brand/item would you get ? I looked it up on Cabelas and They have a BUTT load !!!

SHould I get Insulated ?

p015005sq02.jpg

Ithica, The only "Vasque" boots/Shoes I saw were for Women... Makes me wonder man ;)

Moosie,

I also have the meindls. They are great boots, I got the ones with 200 g. of thinsulate in the AK hiker. I went with the least amount of insulation I could.

I've used these boots at work for 3 years, and hunting 3 years. I wear them nearly everyday. They're tough and give you great ankle support.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better boot.

If you dont mind, let me know what kind of price you find and where. I think I paid $165 three years ago.

Just some FYI, but the Boots made by Meindl and sold under Cabelas name are made to Cabela's standards and not Meindls. 'True' Meindls are quite a bit more expensive. I have the Island Pro, which I love, but for a long hunt in that steep of country I would step up to the Makalu. This boot is Meindls Mountaineering grade boot and is even stiff enough to use with crampons. I got my boots and footbeds through Lathrop and Sons ($360):
http://www.lathropandsons.com/
I'd at least give 'em a look. I'd also go without insulation. That country will keep you generating plenty of body heat to keep your feet warm. Insulation will just make your feet sweat more, which leads to a higher chance of blisters.

As far as guns, shoot which one you are most confident with. Just try to remember to use hunting bullets and not match! ;) If it were me, I'd be looking at the Barnes 168gr XXX or the Nosler 180gr Accubond. These may be easier/cheaper to get via loading your own, or just have Elkgunner do it for ya! :D If you try the Barnes, make sure your barrel is squeaky clean before you start. Otherwise, just find the most accurate factory load with a 165-180gr hunting bullet and have at it.

I would probaly have to use my 25-06 with a 120 grain handload.

those sheep are not that tough. I have friends that have shot them with 243 and killed them with one shot.

Pointer is correct on the boots,get Makalu or even the Makalu pro, I can't where them as I have paddles for feet, and they are to narrow which is why I wear Asolos,which don't have the European {narrow} toe

Meindls get my vote also. As for the rifle well you have shown us you can shoot so take the one that you feel best about shooting. Shed the weight in other areas of comfort and carry what you will depend on most for the once in a lifetime opportunity when the shot comes.
drool.gif
Now on that same note you have shown that you can do wonders with the bullets you have been using as your track record shows. I am from the old school thinking if it works don't fix it. They seem to work for you well and I would feel much better being up there knowing that what I am carrying when that chance comes has been proven again and again. Don't start second guessing what you already know. Just my opinion. ;) Good luck Grasshopper :D

Moose
Take whichever shootin-iron you have the most confidence with . I shot my Desert Ram last year with a .270 , three shots through the boiler room and he never even flinched , just stood there for a few seconds then died and rolled . If you're going after a California they're a heluva lot tougher than a Desert , I wouldn't shoot anything less than 150 grains .
Boots ; Danners .
Good Luck !

Moosie I use a Boonie Packer sling which distributes the weight of your rifle better making it seem lighter. Your gun sits horizontal in front of you making it easier to glass and carry a back pack. I will tell you how good it works, climbing up the side of a steep mountain in the dark to intesect a trail and hopefully get a head of any one that started from the trailhead I would stop and lean back against a tree to blow and then climb until winded and lean back against another tree.I thought to myself did I leave my gun back at that last tree when taking a leak, then I looked down and she was just hangin there - I call her the Terminator. More to this story, when I got to the trail the sky was starting to lighten up, in the fresh snow I saw where somebody was already up the trail. Hurrying along through the heavy timber trying to catch up I came into an opening where it was lighter and could see that this track was no nimrod but a grizzly with feet bigger than my # 13's. Later TK

I couldn't think of a better 'Sheep' rifle than a .280, with 140 Nosker BT's. The Rem 700 Mountain rifle, with the synthetic stock is sweet. Used (borrowed) one in a 7mm/08, for a deer hunt, after I had back surgery and couldn't handle much weight, nor recoil.

Boots ? Your on yer own. I've always just used "Black Cadallac's", but I'm sure your looking for something a bit more comfortable.

I agree on taking the 300 win you like and shoot well, and also with the 180 grain nosler. You don't need the penetration of the partition, sheep are very easy to kill, so maybe try the ballistic tip. They will wreck a sheep.

As you know I like my White Smoke Jumpers, I have one pair that have been resoled 4 times, but but If I was buying a new pair just for this hunt I'd probably get those Cabelas Alaskans you had pictured. You won't find a better mtn boot, especially with the rubber guard to ward off the rock cuts. You sure don't need any insulation either. You are on the right track and are going to whack a monster I'm sure.

hehehe, good one MTHunter!

I'd definitely take whatever of the guns you mentioned that you shoot the best. I certainly wouldn't count the 270 out, IF you shoot it better than the 300's? IF you shoot the 300s better, pick your favorite and go, and no, definitely dont load it down with 150's. Are they both 300 wins or are they RUM's or Weatherbys or what??

I bought a pair of boots this winter that I am absolutely in love with, especially for rocky nasty country. They are La Sportiva "Glaciers". They have incredible support and my foot just feels like its locked in a little vault and nothing could ever bother it. However, they are heavy, so you have to be really tough to where them for long long trips. Guess I better not where them on long long trips.

There is another lighter boot that I would highly reccomend (by the way, I have no experience with Meindls, but they look really good and I've never heard bad about them) the Asolo MTX or something like that. Its lighter, still pretty stiff, really comfy, all leather. Good boots for sure. Remember, if you buy your boots from REI, you could return them if you are not pleased, even if you wore them for a while.

Good Luck Oscar, that is going to be an awesome hunt.

Moosie,
If it were my tag. I'd take my High Tech custom .340wby It weighs 6.5lbs scoped and ready to go so that's an easy one for me.. For you I'd say do what you like but If I had the bucks I'd try to atleast lighten up my gun, I'd change out the stock for a Bansner/High Tech stock..If not use what you got and are familiar with and go for it..

Boots- I bought the Meindl's that you have pictured from Cabelas. I bought the hikers- the non insulated ones. These are the best boots I've ever warn. Very stiff and excellent ankle support. I like them very much. Good luck Moosie!

As bad as I hate to admit it, you really can get superior Mountain gear from tree hugger outfits. Their stuff is probably as tough if not tougher, lighter, and more weather resistant. I like to think of myself as the toughest man alive when I'm guiding in the mtns, but I'm sure not climbing everest. The sleeping bags, tents, stoves, and especially clothing are dirty tough and light. One of my best friends is an outfitter in the yukon, and he guides sheep in ballerina pants and plastic boots. I'm not going to wear them, but I can't keep up with him on scree fields either. My King of the Mtn wool, wranglers and Whites are a poor subsitute in his country.

Moosie I think in the Bighorn Crags in Idaho you maybe better stick with more western products. You may breakdown by the PCI and need a cold drink or ride to town.

I'm not Replying much to this Thread but am Reading it all the time... Just thought I'd say that before you guys think I'm not reading :D :D

Thanx for your Input.. Keep um Coming !!

I think I'm going to Buy those Boots I posted a Picture of... And Use the 300 Win Mag.

I am going to Try another type of bullet but jsut because I know the Manufacturer... Still up for debating though.

You going to buy a wharehouse quality boot :eek: .
chit I know you can afford better why crap around, as for them solid copper type bullets {Barnes,groovy's} make sure the rifle you pick can shoot them :( I'd just use a premium bullet in the old .300.

this "WAREHOUSE" quality boot is $250 Clams man. I have a Budy that has that boot and Brought it by the Office and They look awsome.... MAde good, and Feel comfortable. (But I haven't bought them yet).

Why wouldn't the Grooves work in my gun ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back