1st elk hunt/I need a psychiatrist

Guessing you learned that, for most glassing, it’s much easier to sit in a pair of Binos on a tripod than a spotter. Spotter is good for a closer look but any significant time stay in those Binos.

Guessing you learned that, for most glassing, it’s much easier to sit in a pair of Binos on a tripod than a spotter. Spotter is good for a closer look but any significant time stay in those Binos.
Yep, I’m looking for a legal bull, that’s it. Actually when I set out on this adventure I decided as long as a saw an elk on public the trip was a success. I try to be a realist yet optimistic at the same time.😂

You will start to feel good quickly now. First day or two can be a drag if not used to it. Hydration, eating well, an ibuprophin, and a good nights sleep at altitude gets me over that hump. Resisting the urge to do too much too early is the hardest discipline for me.

Sheet metal screws on stacked pipe. 👍🏼. You can wire the lowest piece to the stove too.

Don’t shoot an elk too far away to handle. Better to have a good experience and go home with good memories and no meat than to unleash a disaster if if you are out over your head. 1st hunts are meant for learning and trial and error. Looks like you found some nice area to play in!

Sounds like you did to much to fast. Hitting the scouting day 1 may have been better to sit in camp with a book day 1
You are right about that. My first trip I did kind of the same thing because I didn’t have any scouting days but had my wife with me so I didn’t push as hard as I would solo.

You will start to feel good quickly now. First day or two can be a drag if not used to it. Hydration, eating well, an ibuprophin, and a good nights sleep at altitude gets me over that hump. Resisting the urge to do too much too early is the hardest discipline for me.

Sheet metal screws on stacked pipe. 👍🏼. You can wire the lowest piece to the stove too.

Don’t shoot an elk too far away to handle. Better to have a good experience and go home with good memories and no meat than to unleash a disaster if if you are out over your head. 1st hunts are meant for learning and trial and error. Looks like you found some nice area to play in!
During the final stages of my six mile death hike I realized if I kill a bull it needs to be up on top not down in a drainage. Lol

CO's 1st rifle season is only 5 days long. That adds time pressure. Cold and windy in your GMU today but snow unlikely, too bad. A few inches would improve the hunting. Feel better and good luck up there.
Yeah five days isn’t very long and I’ve already lost basically a whole day. I was hoping for some snow but looks like it won’t happen.

Feel much better after a good nights rest. Woke up starving and headache is gone so those are good signs. Raided the breakfast bar, sorted through my pack and lighted it a bit. Gonna hit the hardware store and buy some stuff to fix that stove pipe.

Caught a nice trout before heading to town yesterday. Gonna go cook it for camp lunch and re-evaluate my game plan for the week.

Legs and back still pretty wrecked but I can deal with that.

During the final stages of my six mile death hike I realized if I kill a bull it needs to be up on top not down in a drainage. Lol
Good plan, but know that elk run downhill into holes to die. Always. Unless your truck is down there. Then they run over the next ridge, and downhill to die. Always.

Lots of small loads will get'er done.

:)

Good plan, but know that elk run downhill into holes to die. Always. Unless your truck is down there. Then they run over the next ridge, and downhill to die. Always.

Lots of small loads will get'er done.

:)
That’s what a lot of the deer I’ve killed do too. Glad it’s not just me. 🤣

CO's 1st rifle season is only 5 days long.
I started planning my hunt and realized I needed to head out 8 days early just to acclimate to the altitude. I know full well it screws me up over 8300 feet passes driving semi.

I started planning my hunt and realized I needed to head out 8 days early just to acclimate to the altitude. I know full well it screws me up over 8300 feet passes driving semi.
I really didn’t expect it to bother me so bad since I got over it quickly on my first trip……I was in way better shape though. Many lessons learned and relearned on this trip.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back