Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

1st elk hunt/I need a psychiatrist

U might have hit him close to the spine
The shock of the bullet can paralyze them for a bit sometimes
Yep. I saw that this year. Hit my blesbuck a bit high in the shoulder. He went down like hit with a hammer. When we were almost to him, he suddenly jumped up and started to stagger off. My PH said wait till he stops but the ram actually was gaining momentum. So when I finally had something other than arse to shoot at, I put a bullet in his ribs quartering away. Down he went again.

As others have said, start grid searching. With two broadside shots at 320 yards, I'm guessing dead bull. Wish I was closer to help you look. Good luck and keep at it. You got this!

Reactions: trb
I was making a mountain house as I typed my last post. I ate two bites and went back out and looked until almost dark. I zigzagged in mile long side hill patterns up and down the ridge. Dropped down into the willows too. Nothing.

I know that first shot hit but starting to think it was high. Not very sure about the second shot. I’m shooting a 7mag with a muzzle break so it’s hard to hear hits.

I went and packed up most of my camp and am in the worst hotel I’ve ever been in for the night. Just ate my first meal since last night. Heading home tomorrow. Not sure what else to say other than I failed myself, my family and all you here. Most of all I failed that bull.

You went out there solo on your first elk hunt, fought through altitude sickness, got into elk, and damn near got it done. Nothing to hang your head about. I know it doesn’t feel like it now but that is a pretty good first trip. Or really any trip.

There’s people that will never go, because they don’t want to go solo.
There’s a lot of people who would of left after dealing with altitude sickness. A hell of a lot of people just don’t get into elk.
I say you accomplished more then you think.

Ugh. Sorry to hear it.

The only elk my family has lost is one my daughter hit high on the lung. Pass through hit but it disappeared into a high brush jungle. We spent hours searching in vain.

Hunting is a curse man. The failures suck. But you’ll be back. Another good Steve Rinella quote. He talks about how he wished he was a golfer and that he’d sell all his stuff just to say that he went golfing. We can’t always say we harvested anything. But we’re all crazy enough to keep coming back.

Thanks for your story.

Hunting is a curse man. The failures suck. But you’ll be back. Another good Steve Rinella quote. He talks about how he wished he was a golfer and that he’d sell all his stuff just to say that he went golfing. We can’t always say we harvested anything. But we’re all crazy enough to keep coming back.

Thanks for your story.
I’ve killed 28 deer and shot 29, that one that I couldn’t find wrecked me for a while too. The failures do suck. I could have ended it on a high just seeing the cows yesterday or just watching the bulls spar with each other this morning, that’s what they were doing when I cow called.

You went out there solo on your first elk hunt, fought through altitude sickness, got into elk, and damn near got it done. Nothing to hang your head about. I know it doesn’t feel like it now but that is a pretty good first trip. Or really any trip.

There’s people that will never go, because they don’t want to go solo.
There’s a lot of people who would of left after dealing with altitude sickness. A hell of a lot of people just don’t get into elk.
I say you accomplished more then you think.
What he said, don't be so hard on yourself...shit happens. It's not like you took a running shot away from you at a bulls ass and couldn't find him etc. You did it all right and found elk on your first solo trip other than a small hiccup you done well I think. To echo what @kansasdad said I've seen deer hit in the antlers knocks them right out, for a few minutes. You never know.

What he said, don't be so hard on yourself...shit happens. It's not like you took a running shot away from you at a bulls ass and couldn't find him etc. You did it all right and found elk on your first solo trip other than a small hiccup you done well I think. To echo what @kansasdad said I've seen deer hit in the antlers knocks them right out, for a few minutes. You never know.
Thanks man. I shot my rifle when I got to elevation to check it and everything was perfect, but stranger things have happened. If so there may be a 340” 6x6 out there with a few less points.

Just kidding, he was a 4x4. His buddy was a decent 5 point but the smaller one gave me a “perfect” shot.

Thanks man. I shot my rifle when I got to elevation to check it and everything was perfect, but stranger things have happened. If so there may be a 340” 6x6 out there with a few less points.

Just kidding, he was a 4x4. His buddy was a decent 5 point but the smaller one gave me a “perfect” shot.
I wish I'd have gotten as far as you did on my first elk hunt amd I didn't even have to battle altitude sickness (you know more than being a winded flatlander). To put things in perspective and I know this goes for a lot of others on here.

I wish I'd have gotten as far as you did on my first elk hunt amd I didn't even have to battle altitude sickness (you know more than being a winded flatlander). To put things in perspective and I know this goes for a lot of others on here.
I had been planning this hunt for five years, waiting on the perfect time until I realized there is no perfect time, so I applied for the tag. I’ve read books, articles, watched videos and even paid for a thirty hour e-scouting class. Bought gear here and there when it was on sale. Bought a rifle and optic specifically for elk hunting. I wanted to do it right and I did except the very most important part.

At least I have some spots for next time. I won’t be solo again for a while though.

If you have more time tomorrow. Give finding him another try. You never know. It’s big country and easy to miss a downed animal in the thick stuff. Good luck.
Some closure would be nice but I’m sure the meat is no good at this point. I walked the ridge until it dropped into almost vertical. He could have went over the top or I could have walked right by him multiple times. I really think maybe it was a non fatal wound.

It’ll be in my head for the rest of my life.

I had been planning this hunt for five years, waiting on the perfect time until I realized there is no perfect time, so I applied for the tag. I’ve read books, articles, watched videos and even paid for a thirty hour e-scouting class. Bought gear here and there when it was on sale. Bought a rifle and optic specifically for elk hunting. I wanted to do it right and I did except the very most important part.

At least I have some spots for next time. I won’t be solo again for a while though.
It's how you learn..

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back