Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

1st Antelope Hunt - Check me

badkarma6

Going on my first antelope hunt in the beginning of October. Hunting out of Casper, WY. As the title says, this is my first hunt and I am just looking for some wisdom. If any of the gear I have posted below is a bad choice based on your experience, please correct me. I'm an avid east coast whitetail hunter without much western hunting experience. Just trying to posture myself for success. This isn't some ardous back country hunt but I'm in good physical condition.

I'm using SNS Outfitters. Can't change that at this point, they already have my money.

Rifle - Springfield Waypoint 2020 chambered in .308 Win. Has a Gemtech Tracker Suppressor on it. Bipod on rifle.

Scope - Vortex Viper - 4-24x50mm - Sighted in 2" high at 100 yards.

Ammo - Federal Fusion 150gr. This is the ammo this gun likes best. 1/2" MOA groups.

Optics - 27-65x80mm spotting scope. 10x42 binos. Tripod with arca mount and gun saddle mount.

Camo - Sitka optifade subalpine. Pants have knee pads I can insert. Have a rain coat and all that good stuff if needed.

Been practicing shots at 300 yards. Feel comfortable out to 400 yards.

Appreciate any feedback.

Yeah don't overthink this especially if using an outfitter. Not sure you'll be walking a ton...probably driving around in a side by side to spot and then making a move on them. Maybe make sure you've been wearing your boots to make sure they don't hurt your feet.

Camo isn't necessary...if fact it seems like a sin to wear camo when doing it with a rifle.

You are prepared. First antelope I shot was in jeans and a t-shirt and a lot of budget gear. You'll be able to get within 300 yards of an antelope. Try to relax and enjoy it. Beer, sunscreen and knee pads are necessities. And leather gloves.

I was worried you wouldn't have included some Sitka with knee pads, those are super important when antelope hunting.

10 of thousands of antelope have been killed by guys shooting $200 Kmart rifles/ammo, in blue jeans. As noted, the most important part of an antelope hunt is cold beer. Antelope hunting is the special Olympics of big game hunting...

Agree that you can probably drop the spotter and take a rangefinder or check with the outfitter to see if they have one.
You'll likely tag out within the first couple hours or at least be in a position to. After that is when the beer comes into play. Whiskey is always good too. ;)

Just trying to posture myself for success. ...

Appreciate any feedback.
There is a whole lot to be learned from this informative thread from the archives.

Just in case you missed it in earlier replies.....range finder. Wide open Wyoming spaces mess with your head unless you are used to it. And they mess with your head even if you are used to it. Trust your guide, but also verify your range yourself is not a bad plan.

Seriously, like your guess at a range and the effective actual range will be wildly variable if you are really from the lands of unending forests.

Advice given to me on my first pronghorn hunt: treat the first day like a shopping trip. Look over a bunch of bucks-- we probably glassed close to 50 on our first day-- and be picky. No need to shoot the first one you see and, if you're hunting on private, you'll almost certainly be able to come back and find a buck later in the hunt.

I took a BogPod Red-Legged Devil tripod with me but, candidly, I hate it. Your bipod should work but it can be a little difficult to get clearance over tall sagebrush with one. I would practice shooting seated, using the frame of your backpack as a rest.

Finally, insist on good meat care from your guide. Make sure you take a cooler with plenty of ice in the truck, get your buck skinned, quartered and on ice as quickly as humanly possible. Don't let them ride your buck around whole for half a day, slow-cooking in the bed of the truck.

Bonus tip: save the heart and liver. I found them to be delicious.

I would practice shooting seated, using the frame of your backpack as a rest.

Finally, insist on good meat care from your guide. Make sure you take a cooler with plenty of ice in the truck, get your buck skinned, quartered and on ice as quickly as humanly possible. Don't let them ride your buck around whole for half a day, slow-cooking in the bed of the truck.

Bonus tip: save the heart and liver. I found them to be delicious.
This!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back