1987 Ruger M77 .30-06

conibear

Gents - what's your best performing factory load out of this era Ruger?

Last edited:
180 TTSXs will probably be too heavy for good expansion out of a 30-06. What are you gonna hunt with it, and at what distances? I’d go 150s if you are going mono. I used 165 TTSXs in my Tikka 30-06 on elk, but in hindsight I wish I would have gone with a 150

I used mine for 20 years as my only rifle (before I got internet and learned I needed ten rifles) I shot remington 165 coreloks out of it. I never shot anything else.
At 100 yards it shoots the first two shots touching or very close and the 3rd shot about 3/4 inch out. It shoots that same group every time. Not a premium bullet but it did better than got the job done for two decades.

exactly what I was thinking, I've got stones from 150 to 400 that I used on my vaquero overhaul - the factory trigger has a set screw vertical and an indexing flat head screw running horizontal, have you adjusted that one?
My cousins .308 mannlicher rear tang is in the basement. He’s wanting me to clean it up like my stevens 200 did. Which I’ve still got the stock parts in. They just aren’t stock anymore. ;)

I’m on a quest to find a spalted maple or maybe hickory to make a custom stock for it. A jeweled bolt is in the works too.

So p_ham taking 3 months to make a hand rubbed oiled stock is really accelerated work.
IMG_0230.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got a Mark ii in 06 that shoots the 165 Barnes ttsx with good accuracy.

The 165s are a do-all bullet and I'd not hesitate to use them from pronghorn through moose. Behind a stout load of IMR 4350 pushing around 2900 fps and you're good to go.

unfortunately I am not handloading - but your bullet choice is where I heading next, tried 180, next 168, thanks for your help
165/ 168 and the 173/175 groups are where I’ve found some incredible hand and factory loads for both .308 and .30-06.

The difference in weights in those groups seems to be if they are poly tip or Hollowpoint/ soft point.

Glad it worked out for you--I sank a bunch of money into my M77 for sentimental reasons and sheer stubborness. Added a heavy sporter Shilen 1:10 twist to it and had it bedded, and it's finally shooting consistently. I love the old Rugers (from being imprinted on from an early age, or maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome from having this one that I messed with for so long) but they can be a pain.

Did you know those Barnes bullets need a significant jump to the rifle lands? Check out what they specify on the bullet box or their website. If they don't have enough jump they don't group well.

I use Remington CoreLokt. I know, I know, there are "better" bullets out there. I have stopped at good enough after I got the barrel free floated and my shooting went from patterns (think shotgun) to 1MOA. I put a nice scope on my 77, and it is a joy rather than frustration to shoot. And, since I sight to MPBR, am good to 270 yards for elk which is pretty much plenty.

David
NM

I'd guess 180-ish, cow ran about 40 yards as if nothing happened and then just went to the snow like Zeuss hit her with a lightning bolt.

Timney trigger really pumped new life in this rifle.
Suprising there was no exit - id have figured those all copper bullets would have held together enough and not transferred all the energy for an exit.

Not sure what your twist is - but 168 amax, eldm, and 178 eldx are great hunting bullets at the milder velocity from 308/.30-06.

Back