Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

$150 rifle

Ben Lamb

My grandfather picked this 98 Mauser up in the late 60's, early 70's for $150 at a pawn shop. He shipped it over to Wyoming for my father to use. It sat on the shelf for 38 years, and only was taken hunting once in that time. She came with burris mounts and an old Weaver 2.5X scope which is in decent shape, but the cross-hairs are too fine for me.

Dad's divesting some of his guns that aren't fancy enough (lucky me!) and this one came home last year. It's in 35 whelen, with a full octagonal barrel. Very lightweight and certainly pushes you around w/ full house 250 grn round nose loads. I could never get it to group, so last year I took it in to the smith and he glass bedded the stock, redrilled and tapped the mounting holes and we thought it was good to go. Another range trip, and back to the smith to check headspacing, throat erosion, etc.

whelen4.jpg

Turns out it has about 2 inches of freebore in the throat, and is shot out. New douglas barrel will be ordered, custom shaping from the smith, ramp front sight and 2 leaf express sights (100, 200 yard), shorten the LOP down from 14.5 inches to 13.5 and add a new red decelerator pad - this on top of the glass bedding and other work means that my $150 rifle is turning in to a $1500 rifle

So this $150 rifle is turning in to the $1500 rifle.

whelen3.jpg

It's patterning at about 8 inches at 50 yards.

but I suppose you need all the help you can get. ;)

Love the butterknife bolt handle and octagon barrel... You able to stick with the octagon barrel with the new Douglas your installing?

Smith will craft the octogon barrel. I said to go w/o a rib, but will call him tomorrow and tell him to reproduce the original barrel. Just too sweet to go a different direction!

So, you say the reticle is too fine and you're making old age jokes?

I like the rifle Ben...worthy expenditure IMO The red pad wil be sweet.

We ll i just increased the cost. We're going with the 35 Whelen Ackley Improved with either 1:14 or a 1:12 twist for the heavier bullets. I'm hopeful that this set up will give me about 2600 FPS w/ a 250 grain bullet, and about 2400 FPS w/ a 275 grain bullet. I'll try the 225 grain Barnes as well and see how they work.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly, right?

Recoil is not much different than a 30-06 w/ a 220 grain pill. You feel it, but you can still put enough rounds down range to be proficient. Much easier on the shoulder than my 338 WM.

A new decelerator pad will certainly help tame it as well.

Ben, Why wouldn't you have your smith intall a model 70 style 3 postion safety while he's got it?
WD

Thats gonna be a real sweet piece of shooting iron when you get done. Please show some "after" pics!

1.) I thought of the M70 safety after I hung up the phone w/ the smith. I'll get that included for certain.

2.) After pics will definitely be up as soon as she's done!

3.) There is some old residual gold inlay on the receiver, but I'm not spending the dough for that. I'd rather get a different scope for it.

Back