Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

119 Wyoming

skull

Any one hunted 119 wyoming last year?
Im thinking on going there this fall

Do you have max points. I think it takes max. They have cut the tag numbers greatly since the year i drew it. Pray for snow and cold. The season will hit the beginning of the rut. New deer show up every day. Great chance at a good mule deer and a good whitetail. Hope this helps.

I have 7PP I will draw type 2
Olso what is the difference if I apply for region f
Is the same general area

119 is a limited draw area in region F... I’m showing that with 8 points last year it was a 83% chance in the draw you going into next year w/ 7 or 8? Point creep would make me think that it’ll be at 9 PPs next year. If it’s another rough winter and tag allocations drop again could be worse.

The general units in region F can be hunted with zero points getting you a good chance. Those are units 105, 106, & 110-115. A lot of wilderness up there gorgeous country!

Last edited:
119 is a limited draw area in region F... I’m showing that with 8 points last year it was a 83% chance in the draw you going into next year w/ 7 or 8? Point creep would make me think that it’ll be at 9 PPs next year. If it’s another rough winter and tag allocations drop again could be worse.

The general units in region F can be hunted with zero points getting you a good chance. Those are units 105, 106, & 110-115. A lot of wilderness up there gorgeous country!

I don't know where you got those draw stats, but the G&F site shows that the Regular PP Draw for 119-1 had 1 tag and it went for 10 PPs and the Type 2 tag had 7 tags and the last 2 went to people with 5PPs. The Region F tag also takes at least 1PP for 100% draw. With 0PPs the draw was 51.74% and less than that in the Random Draw.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time on responding to my questions
Topgun 30-06 seems like you know a lot about Wyoming
Send you aPM
I’m looking to G&F site I don’t quite understand everything
Thanks to you guys for explaining
So with 7PP i should draw 119 type 2

I don't know where you got those draw stats, but the G&F site shows that the Regular PP Draw for 119-1 had 1 tag and it went for 10 PPs and the Type 2 tag had 7 tags and the last 2 went to people with 5PPs. The Region F tag also takes at least 1PP for 100% draw. With 0PPs the draw was 51.74% and less than that in the Random Draw.

Wow I guess I need to look at the Wyoming web site rather than this site:

http://diyhuntingmaps.com/unit/wy/deer/119/index.html

Thanks man I thought that site was pretty right on.

I had the tag 3 years ago. I was a Wyoming resident during the application period, but I was moving later in the year and knew that if I drew a deer tag I would be living in another state and wouldn't have any time to scout. For that reason I decided to put in for 119, kind of on a whim. Since it was a rut hunt I knew scouting wouldn't be as critical. I looked over a lot of deer with plenty of average bucks. As the week went on, it seemed like everyone was feeling pressured to fill their tags. There were quite a few average 5 point bucks consistently hanging out with does right off the main trails, and when we would drive by those places later in the hunt you would just see a gut pile and a drag mark there. The rutting bucks seemed even dumber than the ones in Montana. There are lots of roads in the unit (and lots of road hunters) making it pretty much impossible to get away from people. For that reason I felt like the only chance of finding a nice buck would be to have a storm come in and push some new bucks down from the higher elevations. On the last night of my hunt it snowed 6" overnight. The next morning I finally turned up a nice 170-175" buck up on a ridge. I took off up the ridge and he followed a doe up and over the top. I followed his tracks and found his steaming fresh gut pile 30 yards off a road on the other side. At that point I had had enough and decided to head home. If you want to see lots of deer and lots of 150" type bucks then you would enjoy the unit. If you want to hunt in solitude or have a chance at a bigger buck I would look elsewhere.

Thank you for the help guys really appreciate
I don’t really want to waste 7PP on a 150
I’m not sure where I should go

skull, if you put in for the type 2 tag I hope you share your results, I too am researching the type 2 tag in 119, I also have 7 pp and my dad and I have decided to quit chasing the creep in some of the "trophy" units and just put in for a good limited draw unit and go have fun. area 119 is on my list for research for a 2019 hunt.

JIM

I have family that live in Worland and frequent that unit. One works for BLM and is out there a lot. They discouraged me from the type 2 tag as the unit is more of a migratory hunt. They said Id be disappointed in the prospects compared to the November time frame. Not trying to discourage you, but my understanding is its a very different hunt.

Thank you for taking the time on responding to my questions
Topgun 30-06 seems like you know a lot about Wyoming
Send you aPM
I’m looking to G&F site I don’t quite understand everything
Thanks to you guys for explaining
So with 7PP i should draw 119 type 2

With that few tags, one article in a magazine or one of the hunting consultants saying that unit is Blue Ribbon will create point creep. We just saw elk point creek greater than expected and I think is a direct effect of the increased fees and tag costs WY dumped on non-residents. The announcement that moose preference points were doubling in 2018 was not widely publicized until after the preference point window closed in 2017. Would have been easy to put a note on the WY F&G site that popped up as you went to purchase points in 2017. That tells a lot of us everything we need to know about WY F&G. They are focused on aggressive monetizing of the draw process with non-residents being the target.

If WY did not have a point system then would be easy to cut and run. A bunch of those moose preference point holders hold a bunch of elk, deer and pronghorn points so rather than walk away like could in NM when they cut non-resident tags the WY applicants are being yanked by the short hairs. The next few years in WY will see accelerated point creep as frustrated applicants first try to draw Blue Ribbon units that require max points and then see that their odds were in in 20 to 1 in 10 in the points bucket and 1 in 200 to 100 in the random bucket so will drop down in a year or two to a lessor unit. The trickle down will accelerate points. 100s of applicants with max points never applied in over a decade. Several of those are now applying so demand went up and tags are not increasing so point creep accelerates.

If you want to hunt, apply where you have a couple more points than think need. If no hurry to hunt then can ride out the next 5 years or so and then point creep will slow if not decline for pronghorn and elk. Deer have so few tags for non-residents in the Blue Ribbon units and many of those units award no random tags so might be 10 years for the deer draw to calm down. Longer if WY cuts non-resident allocation in half. Or decreases the preference point allocation bucket.

Good luck. WY is a fun state once you have a tag in hand.

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me figure out where the blue ribbon status comes In on this unit for deer. It is awesome country for sure and has plenty of deer but brusiers? I know there is some good wt there. I think the timing of the hunt may be the only reason for the high tag demand, as this is pretty much 160"- area. Obviously a big one can be taken on occasion, but that can be said for most general areas in wy.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back