Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Zinke intends to move BLM HQ, etc

Not to keep whacking at our dead horse, but I don't think the travel time to/from is as much a negative as the lack of ability to conduct other business in DC. GJT goes direct to/from SLC, DEN, DFW, PHX and most of those airports you list are also a two-leg trip. It's exactly 963 yards (I just checked onX) from where your rollerbag hits the curb at the GJT airport to the front door of the BLM HQ building. So, assuming you're flying, it's not bad.

Sorry, you get the airport engineer's answer, I can't help it.

But no, there won't be many other offices or stops worth any political action nearby. People will just have to kill time waiting for their flight home by suffering through our peach festivals, wineries, and new world class Cameo shooting range! We have no elk hunting anymore, sorry, they all moved away, it's the strangest thing...

@Ben Lamb or anyone reading this, really, if you do find yourself in GJ with time to kill, give me a holler, the first beverage is on me.

I was thinking mnore about the people who go to DC to visit DOI & congress rather than the people who work there. And Grand Junction is a lovely town. Haven't spent much time there, but I did enjoy what I have seen. Heard the woofs ate all yer elk though.

Also, Airport engineers don't account for United Airline's worst of class service. ;)

United Airline's worst of class service.
Delta - if flying... Delta for the best of the airlines typical worst service. Been with Delta since... Especially after the CEO said no more putting up with wanker travelers! :)

Look at that, I was able to give the famous Lamb some quality advice. Haha! Or play the GME route and have your own Gulfstream fly ya at your beck and call!

Back to the topic though... eh, think the horse has been spanked, whipped, flogged, yet, it's still dead. Bah, Internet forums wouldn't exist unless we were whipping one "hot topic" to solve world problems - right?

I certainly understand the argument against the relocation.

I also wonder what kind of person would rather live in DC instead of GJ.

It's where the action is if you are in Gov't Service. Congress, Executive, Judiciary are all based out of DC in our centralized form of governance. Kinda like how everyone wants to be in the elk woods on elk opener. I don't think I could do it though. I'd be a melted, chaffed asshat who would lash out at everyone.

Zoom, Meet... etc least tax $ and in the actual "real world" makes cents. Covid's been a remote blessing, in some regards.

I found it strange how many times the article quoted the Deputy Director of a Denver based “conservation and advocacy organization” (https://westernpriorities.org/about/) who was staunchly advocating for the HQ to move back to DC. I’m unclear how he is qualified to contribute so much to the story. Maybe he is lamenting losing all the travel pay to lobby in DC compared to the 4 hour drive to Grand Junction?

The fact that so few “career professionals” did not accept a transfer to CO proves how the agency’s employees have become reliant on the high pay associated with DC. If they were really career professionals and committed to the mission they would have moved. I think this was the right decision that has run smack dab into the reality of how things really work in DC.

I spent two years interacting with the Hill and fully recognize how it is the center of the policy universe, but I legitimately thought this move could work. It is unfortunate to see it on the verge of imploding.

This is what happens when thinks are done half assed. You choose which half of the ass you are.
Federal pay rates are across the board,across the country. Only perk to the DC line is side cash,pure and simple.
Congress is perfect example of this in action. They are never at work. Except for themselves.

They wont build a new facility. They will rent one. Over ten yrs they could pay for a new facility, what the rent would cost. Hm tax money wasted again

They wont build a new facility. They will rent one. Over ten yrs they could pay for a new facility, what the rent would cost. Hm tax money wasted again
They don't build... either GSA builds or GSA leases. Common action with agency buildings. Most federal buildings are GSA managed.- just another arm of the gubermint.

This is what happens when thinks are done half assed. You choose which half of the ass you are.
Federal pay rates are across the board,across the country. Only perk to the DC line is side cash,pure and simple.
Congress is perfect example of this in action. They are never at work. Except for themselves.
While the pay rates are the same across the country, there is a disproportionate amount of GS-15 and SES positions in DC. This glut of high paying positions in one location creates the situation where poor performers get these high paying and influential jobs; thus reducing the efficiency of our government. I’ve worked with GS-12s from low cost areas that can run circles around many GS-15s working in DC. The BLM HQ would have drawn more talent with its high pay grades in Grand Junction than it has the ability to do in DC.

Three

Well 41 senior staff are supposed to be there though many work remotely. Only 3 made the move, no job is permanent, and with a background like they have they'll get snapped up by some NGO or another. I'd like to see most office jobs do the same, office space is expensives and there's no need to be jet setting around to go have lunch with someone when a zoom call 3 times a week would probably work a lot better.

Many well written articles always seem to have a lot of information supplied by The Center for Western Priorities, a well funded but not very transparent group out of Denver. Wonder if they have folks writing press releases that only need slight modification to become an article.

Covid was a great opportunity to cut carbon emissions.

Pdf Guidance teleworking federal employees return to workplace.
From OMB, OPM, and GSA to all executive heads.
Might Covid play a factor? Giving time for employee transition while remaining employed?
Meh, just a theory... I don't possess those Kool aided journalistic skills.

SUBJECT: Integrating Planning for A Safe Increased Return of Federal Employees and Contractors to Physical Workplaces with Post Reentry Personnel Policies and Work Environment.

Last couple headline pointers:
Identifying the resources needed to make remote work a part of future Federal real estate strategy.
Agencies can develop a list of equipment, technology, and work support services needed for employees to be as productive at home, or anywhere outside the office, as they are at the office. This assessment will help in evaluating mobility readiness as described above.
Considering untethering Federal work from geographic locations and/or specific buildings where possible and appropriate, to the benefit of equity, inclusion, and mission delivery.
Distributing work nationwide has the potential to advance equity and inclusion in the Federal work environment to the benefit of Federal agency missions, allowing agencies to recruit from a larger talent pool reflecting the talents of individuals all across America, and allowing employees to choose to live where it best suits them.

Attachments

• M-21-25 (1).pdf
    1,017 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This is a quote from the MT FWP current thread that may soon swirl the flames. I thought it was pretty valuable, however, considering the political partisanship swirling...

There's a big restructuring of the agency coming as well, with a concentration of power and decision making going to Helena, and taken farther away from the field staff.

Directly related? Not really... indirectly related, IMO, outside the political football, makes a whoopload of sense for the value of such to bring the players to the wild vs concrete political jungle.

This is a quote from the MT FWP current thread that may soon swirl the flames. I thought it was pretty valuable, however, considering the political partisanship swirling...

Directly related? Not really... indirectly related, IMO, outside the political football, makes a whoopload of sense for the value of such to bring the players to the wild vs concrete political jungle.

Each state has their own office, with field staff & regional HQ's that mostly responsible for the decision making? They are the ones who generally Jake the decisions on implementing various programs & laws. The idea that the BLM is out of touch totally ignores how many land management personell are out in the real world.

And it ignores that most of those DC folks come from those various offices.

Have you read the first page considerations for the BLM move? I could quote though easy enough to read. Later, as the political spin took hold - well, politics as usual. Opinions changed.

Whelp....

Bureau of Land Management headquarters will head from Colorado back to Washington, Biden administration says

Grand Junction will serve as the BLM’s “official western headquarters,” according to the Interior Department, which lawmakers on both sides of the aisle said is a silver lining. The Interior Department said the regional headquarters “will reinforce western perspectives in decision-making and have an important role to play in the bureau’s clean energy, outdoor recreation, conservation, and scientific missions, among other important work as a leadership center in the West.”

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back