Zeiss or Leupold ?

Rooster52

What do you say is the better scope ? Zeiss Conquest or Leupold VX 3 ?

Last edited:
I think the conquest have better glass. The terras seem to be a step below the conquest.

Also check out the meopta meopros. I have all 3 and if I were buying another scope tomorrow, I'd lean toward the meopta. It's a lot of glass for the $$$

I had always used leupold but made the switch to the ziess conquest. The price was right and the glass seamed better in my opinion.

I've never dealt with Zeiss, so I don't know what kind of CS they have.

However, I recently had this dealing with Leupold:

I had two OLD 4x scopes. Both were purchased second-hand, one at a gun show, and one came with a rifle I bought off a used rack at Bass's in Missoula.

The gun show scope wouldn't zero. The other scope held zero but had a few drops of something (condensation?) on the internal side of the objective lens.

I sent both in.

Both came back within about a month. On the gun show scope, they replaced the windage and elevation adjustments. They also replaced the objective lens, which had a small chip in it. I did not ask nor expect them to replace the lens.

On the other scope they fixed the condensation issue and additionally replaced the windage and elevation adjustments for good measure.

Total cost for repair and return shipping: $0.00

Quite frankly, that is far, far better customer service than virtually anyone in any industry offers.

A rifle scope is an aiming tool, nothing more. While I've never found Leupold glass lacking, it is service like that that makes me not give two hoots about other companies.

I had two OLD 4x scopes. Both were purchased second-hand, one at a gun show, and one came with a rifle I bought off a used rack at Bass's in Missoula.

The gun show scope wouldn't zero. The other scope held zero but had a few drops of something (condensation?) on the internal side of the objective lens.

I sent both in.

Both came back within about a month. On the gun show scope, they replaced the windage and elevation adjustments. They also replaced the objective lens, which had a small chip in it. I did not ask nor expect them to replace the lens.

On the other scope they fixed the condensation issue and additionally replaced the windage and elevation adjustments for good measure.

Quite frankly, that is far, far better customer service than virtually anyone in any industry offers.

A rifle scope is an aiming tool, nothing more. While I've never found Leupold glass lacking, it is service like that that makes me not give two hoots about other companies.

Dang... i mean you can't beat that as far as customer service. I've always shot leupold, but i'm biased because it's all my dad has ever shot also and I get his hand-me-downs

I have both and prefer the Leupold. The glass may be a bit better in The Zeiss, though some people would argue that. I think the Leupold is a little easier to look through, the Zeiss seems a little harder to get lined up and I think the "eye box" is a little touchier on it.

You really can't go wrong with either one.

I've been looking at the Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 with a bdc, which is a grade below the conquest. It seems like a really clear scope with good online reviews. Does anyone have any personal experience with this model? I would be upgrading from a 4-12 Nikon Prostaff. Thanks

I have a "few" Leupold VX3's in 1.5-5, 2.5-8 and 3.5-10, I love them and trust them and have used them for decades in some cases without and without an issues. At all.

I bought a Zeiss Terra 3-9 with the RZ-600 (I think it is) and mounted it on a lightweight Remington Model 7 FS in 308. I hunted with it a bit and obviously have used it at the bench. So far, I am not impressed with it and now regret removing the VX3 1.5-5 I took off and sold to a friend. The scope appears to have fringing of colors at the edges. This is something I have never noticed on any Leupold, not even VX1's.

The scope is a bit longer than a 2.5-8, weighs a little more and I do not like the seemingly high and plastic adjustment caps (OK, I'm getting picky here!). While I got the scope at a decent price, it may very well be replaced by a VX3i 2.5-8.

WIth my limited shooting so far, the adjustments worked well and groups have not shifted adversely. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a shooting distance beyond 200 yards, so I can't really comment on the usefulness of the RZ-600 reticle with a 308 shooting 165 or 180 grain Federal Fusions.

Have had several Conquests....every bit as clear and bright to the edges as the Lupe 3's w/ consistent incremental tracking and no service issues.

I replaced an old Leupold with Zeiss Conquest w/R-600 couple years ago and I do like it more.
The range has been spot on @ 375 yrd & 400 yrd shots on 2 elk,and one deer @ 175 .
Hit the 500&600 yrd gong at the range.

But I'm looking for a Leupold for my mz now....

I have 2 Vx3's and a Vx2. Including the Vx3i 4-14x40 I just got in the mail from Predator Optics. I also have the american made Conquest 3-9x40 that was available a few yrs ago. Side by side, the new Vx3i and the conquest are pretty much identical in clarity. But as for the older Vx3's and the Vx2, the Conquest had them beat. I do think they both work equally as far as low light clarity, brightness, and ruggedness. The Zeiss however is as big as the 4-14x40 and is deffinitely heavier. Im prob gonna move the Zeiss to my Knight Mountaineer 50cal and sell the Nikon thats on it now. Personally, I give the upper hand to the Leupolds, they do everything the Zeiss does and are lighter.

I bought the Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X42 sight unseen along with my Browning XBOLT 300 wsm.Got a great deal on it and figured if I do not like it I will turn it over. I will not actually see it for myself in two weeks or so. My friend received the rifle for me with the scope mounted on it back home. He loves it. At 15 oz.I do not think it will be two heavy and if I do not like it on my 300WSM I will mount it on my 25-06 for deer and antelope hunting.Got a few VX2s andVX3s ,thedealer I bought it thru told me It was better than an equal priced Leupold. Hope he was right.

I sent both in.

I had a very similar experience with Leopold as well. They earned my loyalty as a customer from here on out. Great company, great optics.

I just bought the Leupold VX-3 3.5x-10x-40mm with CDS on sale at Bass Pro for $379. You can also get the 2.5X - 8X-36mm for $349. I very happy with the Leupold.

Mine is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 R 600.
This model was made for 270-30-06 for elk/deer sized game,or so says the book.
With the computer read out for my ammo I have it set @ 9.4 for range.Just dial it down in low light under 200 yrd zero. It is just as amazing in low light as it is in clarity long distance. Very happy.

I have several of both, like them both. My go to hunting rifle has the 3.5x10x44 Zeiss conquest on it with the rapid z 800. It was been a very easy reticle to use. There are so many good scopes to choose from anymore.

I have 4 Leupold VX3's and 1 original Zeiss Conquest. They are both nice scopes with good glass and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would say the glass is very comparable. I tend to lean towards the VX3 strictly due to my experience with them, their reputation for absolute durability, customer service, and being manufactured in the US. With that said, either would be a good choice and it probably just comes down to personal preference. I think you have 2 right answers.

Back