Yeti GOBOX Collection

Youth Rifle

Mac7

Starting to look for a rifle for my 10 year old daughter. I have rifles she can use from 223-308. But want to get her one of her own. Looking at 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08. I have both so like the idea of us both shooting the same ammo while practicing and hunting. She likes the muddy girl camo and a youth size stock is needed but both can be added after if not available with rifle. Like the idea of a fixed 6x scope but also think of 3-9 or 4-12 with generous eye relief. Budget is a concern but plan on selling a few of mine as also want to get her a shotgun.

Thoughts?

Easy peasy...

16922.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/specSheets/16922.html

I'd suggest a fixed 6X for the scope and plan on setting my boys up with the same. Less for them to fiddle fart with and very effective. As far as the rifle, I'd look into buying a standard American and seeing if you can purchase the Muddy Girl compact stock seperately. At least with my boys, noise and blast are bigger issues than recoil and both of those will be greater with the 18" barrel vs. a 22".

Like that could buy a compact 22lr or mag for more practice. She shot my 22" 243 but wonder how much bark the 18" has. Thinking 20" would be about right. Geuss I could try the 22" and have it cut down if needed.

T/C venture compact is a very nice gun as well, the action is very nice with a good trigger too, they aren't very expensive. not sure how much money you want to spend but I'm looking really hard at a Howa Alpine Mt rifle in 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08 or even 243 for my boy. I have some time to find the perfect deal which you can find if look hard enough. I actually picked up a new in box howa alpine in .308 for $650, which was a steal

Thanks looking at them all. Also found the Savage axis and Mossberg patriot comes in muddy girl. Any thoughts positive or negative on those?

Know I need to get her to hold each one and see what she likes best.

A little more expensive, but I believe the Browning xbolt comes in muddy girl in 7mm08. I just picked up an xbolt in 270wsm and out of the box is the most accurate gun I own.

My son has an axisII 243 in a 20" barrel with a youth stock. The axisII comes with the accutrigger We bought it as a package with a weaver Kaspa scope, it has very forgiving eye relief, as a matter of fact, it's the only scope my wife can see through consistantly It is available in the muddy girl camo, if that's a deal she wants. I've shot it a bunch, with a bunch of different weight bullets. seems to like projectiles in the 80-90 grain range. I'm in the Boise area and We're hunting this weekend, but if you wanna shoot it sometime, I'd be happy to let her, and you.

Last edited:
Just looked at the savage website. AxisII is only available as a youth model in 243. Why, I dunno, but go figure. So I guess the workaround is to buy yourself an axisII in creedmoore, and her a 243 muddy girl youth model. Swap stocks and you've got a 22 inch barrel youth gun for her, and a lightweight 243 for you. After all, I'm spending your money, not mine.

My son has an axisII 243 in a 20" barrel with a youth stock. The axisII comes with the accutrigger We bought it as a package with a weaver Kaspa scope, it has very forgiving eye relief, as a matter of fact, it's the only scope my wife can see through consistantly It is available in the muddy girl camo, if that's a deal she wants. I've shot it a bunch, with a bunch of different weight bullets. seems to like projectiles in the 80-90 grain range. I'm in the Boise area and We're hunting this weekend, but if you wanna shoot it sometime, I'd be happy to let her, and you.

Got this same setup for my children. Recoil is very manageable and the accu trigger is crisp @ 3 1/2 lbs. I'm impressed with the accuracy and happy with it so far.

Talked to her about it think we might stay with 18". She wears ear plugs around her neck hunting. Will pick up a few more and always have an extra in pack. She's small and always will be as the wife and I are. Think the compact would be perfect. Also have over 200 rounds of 7mm-08 in a ammo can just sitting as I haven't shot mine in years. Have 60 of the hornady reduced recoil and will pick up some more.

Now scope shopping. Leupold or? Have an old fixed 6x but think I'll get her a new one. Dots or standard duplex? Hmm this is fun!

Last edited:
For young shooters i like the duplex reticle its just simpler and easier for them to use and you cant go wrong with a leupold but also check out vortex optics they have some great scope's for under $300

i'm a ruger fan so I'd voice the ruger american.

if you want the 6.5 and don't mind packing a few pounds the new precision rifle sounds like it has enough adjustment that you two could share a rifle and never grow out of it

i would have her hold up a few different ones though to see what stock fits her best since that is the first step in recoil reduction in my opinion, also when she shoots earplugs under the earmuffs will reduce the noise a lot allowing her to relax into the rifle more

She does fine with ear plugs shooting 223 and 243. I'm mostly deaf and have tinnitus from years of shooting without ear protection. Don't want that to happen to her. Think I'll start with ruger american compact 7mm-08 then if she wants go 6.5 in future. Can't seem to find a youth muddy girl camo in 6.5.

Good choice. Getting her something she wants hopefully keeps her involved. 7-08 was on the short list when we shopped, couldn't find what the kid wanted in that caliber, so 243 it was.

Good choice. Getting her something she wants hopefully keeps her involved. 7-08 was on the short list when we shopped, couldn't find what the kid wanted in that caliber, so 243 it was.

Love the 243 told her its hers if she wants it. Even offered new stock and scope. She wants her own so the rifle hunt has begun. She knows she gets mine eventually.

If you don't handload now, this would be as good as a time and reason to start as any!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back