Yeti GOBOX Collection

Youth hunting plan critique

midwesthunter

I started building points for my son in most of the western states when he was 12 I know I missed out on a couple I could have started earlier in. My plan was this year for me him and his grandpa to go to WY and hunt Antelope, we have enough points averaged to draw a great tag. But I started looking at some of the youth hunts out there and think I want to take advantage of a couple before he's not a youth. In WY we were planning on applying for a special antelope tag, so no price break there for him. My plan is as follows for the next couple years.

Apply for a NM elk tag for him every year.
2020 apply/hunt for a UT Gen deer
2021 apply/hunt for AZ mule deer
2022/2023 Apply/hunt CO mule deer one year elk the next, not sure in what order.

He would be 17 during the 2023 hunting season. Anyone have any other suggestions or do you think my plan looks solid?

Last edited:
I would take a look at New Mexico. The youth hunts they have available are the best tags in the state with pretty good odds. Although I am a resident my son drew many youth hunts in areas I will likely never draw and during seasons that aren’t available except for youth. Sadly this year he is no longer eligible but we made some special memories and I was able to hunt with him every year for the last 8 years.

Concur with New Mexico youth hunts. Very accessible. Never could draw a tag for my daughter. I am bad luck.

I would take a look at New Mexico. The youth hunts they have available are the best tags in the state with pretty good odds. Although I am a resident my son drew many youth hunts in areas I will likely never draw and during seasons that aren’t available except for youth. Sadly this year he is no longer eligible but we made some special memories and I was able to hunt with him every year for the last 8 years.
I apply every year for elk there but odds are low for nonresidents. Last year 4.2% was the best odds.

I’m referring to the youth hunts specially. For elk I would look at unit 15, 16c,17. These are early October hunts that will still have rut activity and a chance for big bulls. I would also apply for deer in 2b late hunt, unit 4 and 5b. These are trophy mule deer units that are only available to youth during the prime time of season. I would also add ibex and oryx as they also have youth only hunts.

I’m referring to the youth hunts specially. For elk I would look at unit 15, 16c,17. These are early October hunts that will still have rut activity and a chance for big bulls. I would also apply for deer in 2b late hunt, unit 4 and 5b. These are trophy mule deer units that are only available to youth during the prime time of season. I would also add ibex and oryx as they also have youth only hunts.
The best Nonresident youth only elk odd is 4.2%, 3.1% is the best deer odds for the youth hunts you listed.

I will be putting in for Ibex and oryx as well this year for him

All looks good to me. Football and school got in our way a bit, but we took the boys to New Mexico when they were ten and eleven. Had a blast.

Attachments

• DE829AAF-AE31-4E47-A214-33241DCF469C.jpeg
    DE829AAF-AE31-4E47-A214-33241DCF469C.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 1
All looks good to me. Football and school got in our way a bit, but we took the boys to New Mexico when they were ten and eleven. Had a blast.
I'm lucky where my son is in a charter school so we can get time off when we want. There are exceptions, like state mandated testing times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back