Youth Elk Tag options to put my son in for 2016

Kevin W

I've been working on this for my son; after a general elk tag archery try with no success for my 14 yr old son in Wyoming this year I've been looking for a better youth option for him. I like Wyomings price for a youth tag but it took one point for him to draw this past season. Anyone have any thoughts for a youth elk tag that I could put him in for? Any western state is open for consideration, rifle or any state that allows use of a crossbow. This tag will be strictly for him as I go along as chauffeur, packer, and as a not very good guide :)

Did you check Montana's youth options? I think the tags, elk and deer are less the $600. We have a young man with our group that's taken a cow and buck both years. Next year our area will be a general bull tag so were gonna leave him home! Lol

A youth elk license in Colorado costs $113.75 with all fees included. He has the option of purchasing an over the counter bull license or applying for a cow or either sex license in the draw. A minimum of 15% of cow licenses are reserved for youth initially in the draw. The nice thing about a cow license is that if he is unsuccessful he can also hunt the extended youth hunt areas within the DAU his initial license was good for. I'm not sure where you live or if this would be an option. Here is an example:

If he drew a 1st rifle season either sex tag for unit 33 and was unsuccessful on his hunt, he could convert his unfilled license and hunt one of the late rifle cow hunts that run as late as January 15 (Christmas break?). Keep in mind that he can't hunt the extended seasons with an unfilled bull license.

Check out this link for youth opportunities in the state:
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Youth-Hunting.aspx

A youth elk license in Colorado costs $113.75 with all fees included. He has the option of purchasing an over the counter bull license or applying for a cow or either sex license in the draw. A minimum of 15% of cow licenses are reserved for youth initially in the draw. The nice thing about a cow license is that if he is unsuccessful he can also hunt the extended youth hunt areas within the DAU his initial license was good for. I'm not sure where you live or if this would be an option. Here is an example:

If he drew a 1st rifle season either sex tag for unit 33 and was unsuccessful on his hunt, he could convert his unfilled license and hunt one of the late rifle cow hunts that run as late as January 15 (Christmas break?). Keep in mind that he can't hunt the extended seasons with an unfilled bull license.

Hmmm... Might have to keep this in mind in a few years when my oldest is old enough. Thanks for the info.

Thank you very much Oak!!!

Thank you very much Oak!!!

Kevin, I also believe Montana's youth tags/license is an over the counter deal, but check with the FWP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back