Your thoughts on shooting a dog

You know, thats what I love about this site. Start off by talking about shooting dogs that are running loose, and end up talking about how to change the color of your sheite. Classic:D

You know, thats what I love about this site. Start off by talking about shooting dogs that are running loose, and end up talking about how to change the color of your sheite. Classic:D

Don't let heelerdog see. He'll throw somebody in Internet Jail, charged with hijacking. ;)

I had one getting into my trash cans for about 5 mo, I just tie a big fishing hook to 70 lb test fishing line, packed hamberger around the hook and tied the fishing line to the basketball hoop pool and caught the trash can tipper the next day ! worked like a charm (yes I did have lids on ALL of my trash cans)

If the dog deserves it, maybe. Just consider the ramifications. Is the dog really doing something that makes it deserve killing ? Is it someone’s pet, and how will they react ? If you kill someone’s beloved family pet, you might spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder.

I have dogs, but mine are nearly never not on a leash when not in my fenced in backyard. I wouldn't summarily shoot a dog that is running loose, but one chasing game without a collar would probably not like the result...

PS- IIRC a study in CA showed (estimated) that feral house cats take more small game and upland birds than all other predators and hunters combined!

Yep - feral housecats decimate song bird, quail and other small game populations. Baby or young rabbits and squirrels, for example. We had a ton of cotontails on our clubhouse property until a bunch of cats took root. The adult rabbits do kay, but the youngsters generally don't make it. The hawks and owls take out a certain number of the adults, so overall, the population of rabbits takes a dive.

There have also been studies in Australia on the impact of feral cats.

Any housecat, feral or not, not on a logging chain at the bottom of a lake, should be blown the fugg away...period. Even yours Nut.

Happy eggnog Ht'ers.;):)

we need the cats in our barns but when tabby strays,,,,I'm pretty quick to shoot them.
The last few years the coyotes have been pretty tough on cats so maybe it all evens out

Just a side note, a good pellet rifle, a .177 - 1,000 fps will do the job on a cat without the noise. Good to know in residental areas where gunfire if frowned upon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back