Your thoughts on shooting a dog

elkfarmer

I have seen this post on another forum and thought I would ask it here. Myself, I don't think anyone should shoot a dog just for running around but to be honest there is one dog, my nieghbors that I have thought about.

So what would it take to put you over the edge?

And could you do it?

What steps would you take?

Depends...I've never shot a dog but if one were running deer and I had a shot...I would take it. If I were a farmer/ rancher and dogs were running the fat off my cattle...there would be a few less dogs also. One more case...if I thought my kids were or could be in danger at a future time because of a dog running around...dead dog.

I know that 30/06 with 180's are enough on dogs. I was in my tree stand when the manager of the wildlife refuge I was hunting opened up on some dogs that ran deer all the time. He was a good shot by what I saw. 3 for 3.

Dogs are a major pain in the Urbanized Woods of the East. People move out in the Country and let Skippy run free, Skippy would'nt hurt a thing! Skippy and a couple team up and all of a sudden you have a pack running Deer non stop. Always have always will have a problem with some folks, chain Skippy to the bumper of your new Doublewide if you have to! I always like to aim about 6-8" behind the rabies tag. Although almost a thing of the past, we still have a season where people run deer with dogs, dogs can and will get on a lease, all of a sudden Budda and Leroy are trespassing to recover their dogs. You confront them and the chit hits the fan! BTW, I have seen guns raised over this chit! It's best just to bust em and let them lie. One local club pays $10 towards it's members dues for a dog ear and $5 for a Coyote ear. John

I'd be pretty damn careful about choosing the situation in Colorado, as it is a Class 6 felony except under certain circumstances.

So here is the topic starter from the other forum.

"So I have neighbor with two black labs, one really old, one two years old. I saw him in his yard went over to talk. He voice was real horse. He'd been looking for the two year old lab. It got out mid morning. told him I'd look for it. It was found the next day... shot in the back leg with a slug. It was on it's way home but has bleed to death....To me as a hunter this is unacceptable. The area I live in is somewhat developed we're not out in the sticks. A person who shots a known pet dog should no longer hunt."

And i got to tell you, there are 19 pages so far with the majority being

I would never shoot someones pet....
That guy would wish he never shot my dog by the time I got done with him....
The Law, The law, The law......

I owned a black lab (died at the age of 13)...I had a run in with a farmer (more correctly, my dog had a run in with a farmer). He brought my dog to my door step. He said this to me..."You're damn lucky you have one friendly dog and my grandson was with me". I learned a quick lesson as a dog owner...don't let your dog run around. My uncle had a dairy farm in the Bitterroot, pretty close to Stevensville. A few dogs didn't make it off his farm. The sheep farmer just down the road would kill a dog and hang it on his fence...not many people said a word...in fact no one said a word. I don't know about other states but I do know Montana has a state wide leash law. That means a dog must be under voice command or on a leash...I personally think a fine should be given to anyone whose dog gets shot, maybe they will start obeying the law.

Say a guy finds himself a hot scrape with 6" diameter trees rub'd raw all around it..sets up his stand and hunts it..then at last light he hears something trotting towards said scrape, and it turns out to be a big old nasty dog that stops and sniffs said scrape ....then said guy says to himself "you son-of-a-bitch your gonna pay dearly for this, a quick death is too good for your ass!"..... I know if you blow the front leg off of a dog with a 50cal Encore they run on three legs yelping for at least a mile or two. Everyone is happy, Dog doesnt like to run deer anymore, Little Johnny is happy that Spot came home even though he's minus one get-away-stick.

I agree with noharleyyet about the pitbulls.

Check out this TOTAL CRAP.

Marbles was mean and intimidating to neighbors with kids and deserved a hot lead slug in the ass..

We live in a small community and I have zero tolerance for loose dogs. Around here we have probably about 8 small children that play together and none are big enough to take on a dog, a few yrs back we had a boxer that would jump his fence to take after the kids at play, he was mean and so one day he jumped the fence and was attacking a little girls puppy, me and my wife just happened to be out on the steps having a cold one and I saw this and my .45 came out and I ran over to the little girl and told her to get over to the neighbors yard and I grabbed the puppy with the boxer still attached and gave it one to the head at 2feet. I hate mean or aggresive dogs anywhere me or my children are. If you can't have a nice dog the hell with you. I shoot em whenever I see them off a leash or if I am out hunting and they are loose and not close to any house. But I guess I am not a very nice guy. HAPPY HUNTING

A few years back, I was hunting in South Carolina and the land owner told me to shoot any loose dog I saw... I didn't really take him seriously, but after I returned from my stand that evening with footage of 3 dogs tearing up a wild turkey, the guy was pissed that I didn't do as he asked. I guess they are wild packs and they are leaving a mark on game populations down there.
Still don't know if I would kill one; gotta eat what I kill and don't know that I could stomach dog stew....

We had a big German shepherd that was running round our house for days on end growing up. My Lab got in about three fights with him, never was worse for wear, but still not fun when little sisters try to break up a dog fight that never would have happened if the Shepherd hadn't been there.

Dad got sick of it and started keeping a pellet gun around for him and I to use. He made it a point to not kill the dog, but shoot it square in the butt if it got close to our property. The dog took about three pellets and has never visited.

I have been on the opposite end and have a dog who likes to take off whenever she sees the door is open enough to get away. I will look until I find her, I don't want to be responsible for her hurting anyone. All of the neighbor kids know her and she is great with them, but I refuse to risk her accidentally knocking over a kid, or for that matter biting a kid she is playing with. Anything is possible, they are animals, no matter how tame they are. Dogs don't have the same lines and morals we do, no matter what people may say.

If my dog comes home with a shot in the butt i wasn't looking hard enough. I say its probably my fault she got out, and reality is that she needs to stay home.

I have always loved dogs. Had labs practically my whole life. That being said, if any dog goes after a kid, he should die. We have had several pit bulls in the news recently that have attacked kids. I have no tolerance for this shit. They should immediately be shot. One of these attacks was like the third time the dog had bit someone. Total bullshit.

The neighbors dog got into our chicken several years ago. Never seen my old man so pissed and had no idea he could work a pump action .22 that way.

10-15 rounds in about 10 seconds took care of the big German Shepard.

We loaded up the carcass and hauled it back to the neighbor (next door neighbor about 1/2 mile away). I will never forget what dad said (to the neighbor): "I have some good news and bad news, the bad news is your dog killed all our chickens. The good news is he won't do it again." The neighbor apologized and buried the dog. Nothing else was ever said and we are all good friends. The neighbor knew who was right. BTW we knew exactly whose dog it was, and that it was their pet, prior to shooting it. Didn't matter.

We always had dogs getting dropped off around the ranch. They were fine right up until they chased the cows, then it was lights out.

Seems like thats just the way it is.

Greenhorn, I remember when that came up. I think someone needs to Punch that Dog owner right in the Face.. Or put up a Bilboard that says. "Marbles lost his marbles and is taking a dirt nap".

That story has pissed me off for a long time. I like dogs but when I re-read that story I want to take a Crap in their mailbox.

Fact is, I couldn't kill a dog. But when my neighbors dog was barking and we had issues when we first moved in, I walked over at midnight after trying to get my newborn to sleep and woke them up by ringingtheir doorbell. I told them that a .22 bullet is cheap and they should think about it or I would. I would even bring one over.

Grant it a dog that barks all night isn't the same as a dog threatening a kid or wildlife but sometimes a person jsut can't take it. If I was to play my radio at night outside I'd get a ticket from the cops or someone would try shutting me up I'm sure :p

I would guarentee that if a dog bit my kid or came after them. I wouldn't think twice about Kicking it with a boot. I would be more inclinethen to go after the owner. I think if a person defends a dog over a person they need to get punched in their face... twice.

A dog is a dog. Get over it.

hmmmm....sounds like the voice of experience...glad our "subdivision" has got one of those mail-slot things....

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back