Your backcountry training regimen

Good topic. Lots of us in same boat. I do a little weight training but try and stick to body weight exercises, especially right after a hike when the HR is up. I don’t want to build too much muscle because then I have to carry it around in the backcountry. I live on a mountain so hiking is easy and steep. I try and get out as much as I can, 2-3/week. I try and keep pack weight minimal (~20# or less) until 30-60-90 days out from season. I want to build endurance and not hammer my already hammered joints until I have to hoping it adds some longevity to their lifespan.

Where’s your tag for?

Last edited:
I lift weights 2 or 3 times/week and try to do a 3 - 4 mile walk/jog/lunge once or twice a week. Harder to stick with in the spring when the kids have softball and baseball games or practice 5 or 6 days a week. By hunting season I’ll be up to 6 or 700 lunges over a 3 or 4 mile outing. Starting from behind this year, had a hard time losing the Covid blubber from last year so I’m really going to have to work at it the next 5 months.

A lot of people wanna knock those programs those guys put together and that's fine. In the end though if you apply yourself you'll notice a world of difference.
Just having some fun. On a totally unrelated note, which came first, becoming an elite mountain athlete or the Creedmoor?

Just having some fun. On a totally unrelated note, which came first, becoming an elite mountain athlete or the Creedmoor?
Oh I know I wasn't directing anything towards your self at all. The thought came to mind from a couple comments on a previous thread.

To answer your question I think they both really took off when the flat brimmers and man bun became a staple in the industry for elite level

Long distance hiking at least twice a week.

It takes substantial time to build endurance.
Long distance hiking helps toughen feet, dial in your pack.

Tough feet and all-day endurance can not be trained for at the gym.
Yep, agreed. How long are your hikes typically?

I think some of you overkill the idea of fitness for a hunt... OR maybe I don't give two chits and know so long as one foot goes in front of the other... I'll get there regardless what I'm hauling, if anything.

I’ve been having a good deal of fun doing various kettlebell workouts from YouTube.

Not so much that I need to be in phenomenal shape for hunting, but it sure helps the next morning from not being as tired/sore from wandering all day.

If its a "tougher" hunt maybe switch to light beers.

Seriously everyone is different, but I dont get the whole gym and training regimen things. I'm to busy performing real life things. I honestly don't know how people find time to have a regimen. Come live with me for a week I can put ya to work that will keep u in shape. Bring leather gloves, steel toe boots, and fencing pliers. Ill provide the rest, including the light beers.

PS. Good luck on the hunt and post a recap.

A wise dork on the internet once told me
“You’ve gotta have a hobby for every season”

Run, road bike, mountain bike, pack hike, water ski, snow ski, paddle boarding, indoor bouldering, anything that keeps my mind quiet and body moving.

A wise dork on the internet once told me
“You’ve gotta have a hobby for every season”

Run, road bike, mountain bike, pack hike, water ski, snow ski, paddle boarding, indoor bouldering, anything that keeps my mind quiet and body moving.
Fact: If you can hit 6 at 32 off you will have zero problems running around the elk woods.

99.9% of your elk hunt will be spent hiking without weight. So do exactly that at least three times a week. 4-8 hours each time with no less than 1,000 feet of vertical gain. Go for long hikes at low effort. Then start including short but high intensity uphill sessions during your hikes. That's all you need to do. You need strong legs and lungs. Hiking with a ton of weight adds unnecessary strain to the joints. I don't know about you, but I want to be packing out elk when I'm 80. IMO the crossfit-style workouts (mtn tough) get you fit for one thing: crossfit. Upper body strength won't hurt but the emphasis should be placed on cardiovascular endurance. Which, as someone else pointed out in this thread, can take a long time to build if you're not fit.

Archery elk hunting in the mountains is a lot like mountaineering in terms of the fitness required. You can find a number of mountaineering training plans online. All of them will emphasize training the base (long and slow) mixed with high intensity anaerobic work.

99.9% of your elk hunt will be spent hiking without weight. So do exactly that at least three times a week. 4-8 hours each time with no less than 1,000 feet of vertical gain. Go for long hikes at low effort. Then start including short but high intensity uphill sessions during your hikes. That's all you need to do. You need strong legs and lungs. Hiking with a ton of weight adds unnecessary strain to the joints. I don't know about you, but I want to be packing out elk when I'm 80. IMO the crossfit-style workouts (mtn tough) get you fit for one thing: crossfit. Upper body strength won't hurt but the emphasis should be placed on cardiovascular endurance. Which, as someone else pointed out in this thread, can take a long time to build if you're not fit.

Archery elk hunting in the mountains is a lot like mountaineering in terms of the fitness required. You can find a number of mountaineering training plans online. All of them will emphasize training the base (long and slow) mixed with high intensity anaerobic work.
Great info! I also have yet to drag a tractor tire while hunting haha.

Based on the responses, I probably should have explained a little more. I was looking to see how others were prepping for western backpack style hunts this season.
Last year I prepped for a 2 week 1st season archery hunt in the Gila and was really glad I did, including training with up to 97 lbs on the back. After 11 days in the backcountry (solo), I got my bull down and packed him out. My training regimen is similar this year, but I’m always looking for ways to switch it up.

I think easiest yet best workout you could do would be to get up at 5am, put on your pack with some weight, and walk for an hour or two. Train your body to get out of bed, train it to walk.
This right here! ^^^ Also notice @wllm1313 is doing things like a nice weekend hike...ya know normal life things that he enjoys. Not 5am burpees...so he can carry his next bear out whole.

You bring up a good point...I know 3 hunters who have now compressed disc problems, likely because they hiked out with 125lbs on their back. We shuttle our meat in 60 lb loads. I shot a bull moose 3 miles from camp, but still shuttled in 60lb packs...took 3.5 days solo, but I felt great since I did not overweight the pack (we don't have to worry about meat spoiling either due to cool temps).

grab yourself some sexy lycra, a road bike, live near Boulder, have a strong middle finger and ride long, steep winding roads for hours at least 4 times a week

all of your mtb friends will wish they could keep up with you on a bike and all of your hunting friends won't even bother trying to keep up

I already started hiking up n down mtn trails with 25 lbs in my pack soon to be 35
treadmill for a few in the morn to get the bugs out of joints and my head lol
and EOD throw the weights around a bit
But after reading you guys post here I think im all f@#$ up I dont drink beer at all

You bring up a good point...I know 3 hunters who have now compressed disc problems, likely because they hiked out with 125lbs on their back. We shuttle our meat in 60 lb loads. I shot a bull moose 3 miles from camp, but still shuttled in 60lb packs...took 3.5 days solo, but I felt great since I did not overweight the pack (we don't have to worry about meat spoiling either due to cool temps).

Last season my buddy and I packed an elk in one trip off the mountain and back to camp. Dumbest thing I've done to date. Should have made two trips. Lucky I didn't blow a knee, our put a tine through my leg. I did a full ass over tea kettle 30 yards through a patch of willows with the head on my pack.

Whatever you do you can't out train a bad diet...I've tried and it shows every time I step on the scale.

Things like Wilderness Athlete and Mountain Ops are designed to separate you from your money...if you want to increase protein either eat more lean meat or find a protein supplement that doesn't cost as much and has cleaner ingredients (Iso whey vs a "proprietary blend full of crap").

Time on your feet is probably the best and cheapest way to train. If there is a hill...climb it at your own pace. If you're tired...take a break. No need to go to Crossfit or be an Ultra Runner.

Last edited:
I don't see the need to waste gas for a drive out to the hills for hikes to get my legs in shape. My home's basement stairs do the job and probably better. No worries about the resident reservation hooligans stealing the wheels from my rig while I'm working out. City cops look after it for me here.

I weight training probably 2 days per week. Push ups daily, try to do 100 over the course of the day. I’m running up to 15 to 20 miles per week right now. I know running isn’t for everyone and to tell you the truth I don’t like it a whole bunch either. I have noticed that having really strong cardio helps me a ton coming from 700 ft elevation where I live to 10,000 ft plus where I hunt. I still breathe hard in the thinner air but I just seem to be able to manage it better and keep pushing through it easier. Like I say running isn’t for everyone but it has made physical activity at high elevation easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back