Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Your backcountry training regimen

Most of my workouts came from the MTN tough program. I added sand bags when I started to plateau with my progress. I try to run as often as I can. I went too hard last month and I'm pretty sure I have micro fracturs in my tibia from trying to up my mileage too fast. So my workouts have changed to rowing and biking for cardio. Squats and lunges. Low impact everything for the next month or so. I've been hiking a local hill more often, and I've notice a huge difference getting up and down. Some days with 35lbs some days without. Just whatever my legs are feeling when I wake up.

I'm very curious how one goes backpack hunting without actually carrying a backpack. An example. Lets say you go on a 5 day hunt, you only walk around in the daylight, and daylight is 12 hours per day. So that's 60 hours of hikeable time. 0.01% x 60 hours = 36 minutes...and that's round trip, so 18 minutes each way. This would imply that your camp is at most about 1 mile from the truck. Also this would imply you didn't kill anything that you had to carry out, which is reasonable since you're 18 whole minutes from the truck.

A reasonable daypack with weapon, optics, clothes, and food is 20 pounds. 20 pounds on your back at 11,000ft is definitely noticeable. Most backpack hunters never go anywhere without their day pack.

I do agree that carrying heavy weight all year will just beat your knees and shins to pieces. Staying in shape year round helps a lot, but that can just be staying strong and not fat. Crushing cardio in February for a September hunt is totally useless. Unless you're a big ol fat guy that needs to cut a bunch of weight, just lift weights year round then ramp up the cardio 4-6 weeks prior to a hunt for conditioning. It takes far less time to build cardiovascular fitness than physical strength and muscle.

Above all, mental toughness will get you farther than physical fitness. However pushing yourself with physical training also builds mental toughness.
Yeah, I’m lucky if I can get below 45 lbs with all equipment and water on my backpack hunts but that’s usually a min of 5 days of food. I would say my avg pack-in time is anywhere from 3-5 hours in the units I hunt (mainly AZ and NM). From that point I may or may not hunt from a base camp, depending on the usual factors.

This is really important in getting distance...somehow if you're operating at like a 4 (maybe 5) of 10 in effort you can just keep going for miles.

Also treadmills were designed as a torture device for prisoners...need I say more. A friend has a fancy treadmill that automatically changes angles that follows iFit videos and those make it ok to crank out 3-5 miles but I tried an 8miler last week and hated every moment.

Anyone who consistently runs 5+miles on a treadmill is psycho. 🤷‍♂️

ETA: Although I have found myself running 1 mile a night on the treadmill be a lot easier on the shin splints and knees. The platform absorbs some impact. IMO.

Last edited:
I two tripped a bull out by myself once and did a faceplant in the timber with a hind, front, backstrap, and the head on my back. I don’t know what all you crybabies are whining about, it wasn’t that bad. I only had to pull over once on the side of the highway and roll around on the ground while my legs cramped up...

The best part about running alone is you don't have to worry about what anyone else thinks and you can have some time to yourself.

I run a couple of 1/2 marathons and thought about ultras, but I hate the antagonism in events. I hate marathon stickers on cars as much as Blazer hates NR hunters.

I've kinda decided if I set a goal like a marathon or ultra I just plan out a run and have my wife come pick me up when I'm done or do a long loop.

View attachment 181188
That's exactly what I'm going to do this summer.....not look like Forrest; the part about just running an "ultra" that I plan the route on my own, tell the wife, and take off.

I don't think it's fair to continue this thread without a sales pitch from @mtnprst. He's got some training packages he sells on his website regarding the very topic of this thread. If you're really lucky he'll throw in a free lecture on how self promotion and monetizing hunting is bad for hunting.

FYI I believe there is a disclaimer with the training packages.... "Purchase of this training package will guarantee to improve your performance in the mountains this fall, but it will also contribute to the detrimental monetization of hunting, which we will gladly tell you about after you pay."

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to continue this thread without a sales pitch from @mtnprst. He's got some training packages he sells on his website regarding the very topic of this thread. If you're really lucky he'll throw in a free lecture on how self promotion and monetizing hunting is bad for hunting.

FYI I believe there is a disclaimer with the training packages.... "Purchase of this training package will guarantee to improve your performance in the mountains this fall, but it will also contribute to the deterimental monetization of hunting, which we will gladly tell you about after you pay."
Bro if your looking to get leet in 2021 you need this workout, guaranteed to get you humping that ruck up the side of the gnarliest mountains.

Our workout includes.

1. Bitch'n short shorts
2. Uncooperative gym equipment that definitely just licked it's butt... and then your face
3. Exercises that according to experts on HT are not actually excercisy

All for the low price of 12 payments of $99.99. Also a free t-shirt and a pamphlet on how to cyber bully kids from the midwest.

1619116371479.png

A lot of variation here. Interesting. I still recommend climbing exercise as most valuable for elk hunting. Stairs are great but just jumping up and down off a sturdy box will do. Build up those thigh muscles and knees. That is where your body will really get a workout. You can take your time with the stamina thing. Hunting should be about taking your time anyway. At 68 I can still go all day up and down hills ... just don't get in a hurry. That's the way to get hurt.

I just monkey around!

Attachments

• A1893CF3-E968-41A8-87B0-FAFEAFCFDC89.jpeg
    A1893CF3-E968-41A8-87B0-FAFEAFCFDC89.jpeg
    993.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 06F4F789-6761-448B-B46D-97344260C576.jpeg
    06F4F789-6761-448B-B46D-97344260C576.jpeg
    993.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2F4C376C-7930-4715-AEB3-346A20CB9660.jpeg
    2F4C376C-7930-4715-AEB3-346A20CB9660.jpeg
    998.3 KB · Views: 15
And what innovative ways do Sea Level folks prepare high altitude?
I went from 600' to near continental divide in SW Montana last year and adapted surprisingly well. Took a couple of days to get up to full head of steam but never a real big issue. Work your way up to it. Steady. Don't get in a hurry. Second wind is slower at first but just know it will come. Don't give up.

I am prepping for a Spring Grizzly back pack hunt in Alaska taking place very soon. My guide had some suggestions. I have been conditioning by: 15 and 20lb weights for arms couple times a week. 100 stair climbs with 10 Bulgarian split squats x3 twice a week. This alone will get your legs and cardio mountain ready. 3-4 mile hikes in local hills and mountains on Saturdays with 45lb+ backpack, add about 11 pounds with rifle, bino's and drinking water and a once a month with no pack but fast and hard strictly for cardio and legs. Half up hill, half down. (down hill with a pack is almost as hard in a different way) The one thing I have always done which I think had really made a significant difference is I do planks every other day without fail. 2 minutes. Started at 30 seconds a couple years ago, worked up to 2 minutes within 6 months. Can't go beyond 3 minutes or I start to shake too much. That is a butt kicker but if you want a strong core, none better. My back use to hurt constantly as I had back surgery 10 years ago. Now, hardly ever. I am 68 years old and these exercises have put me in better shape then I was at 48. My stomach is tight. No overhang of fat and I weigh 220lbs. No lie. In fact, it's addicting now. I like to condition and look forward to it. I am going to stop the entire regiment in 2 weeks as I have a month to go and will rest for the last 2 weeks. I am sore from conditioning almost everyday and do not want to be as sore when doing the real thing, so a 2 week break just before I go. I am as ready as I can be but when I started I never thought I would make it to this point. That's the benefit of starting months earlier. I want to emphasize....I have prepared mentally as well. I think about the hardest part of the hike and just watch myself walk thru it. I have a no quit mentality, always have, always will. IMO, mental conditioning is as important. I am prepared for long hours of glassing in crap weather. I have accepted it is going to be a challenge, but I thrive on challenge so I am good with that. I will do this as long as my body and mind are willing. A side benefit is I will continue this after the hunt as I like how I look and feel and am already planning my 2022 Griz hunt. The next one will most likely be an inland float hunt in a rubber raft which is considered an easy hunt unlike the back pack hunt.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back