Young Cow?

It's not the hunt. I can do that ok. It's getting the meat out. I hunt the muzzy season and it can get pretty warm at times. That doesn't leave me much time to get it out.

I'm feeling real bad when I think my elk hunting is done. I'm trying to convince myself that a young cow is ok to take.

April 6 deadline for tags is getting close. I need to make up my mind.

This used to be so easy this time of the year when I was younger. I'd put in for a bull tag and go hunt. This is terrible now.

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking a calf or a cow of any age Muley_Stalker. It's a personal choice. Wildlife Biologists work numbers regarding the taking of calves and cows into their management plan models. Taking these animals is all part of trying to maintain a herd balance. I once rented a cabin for a DIY late season muzzle loader cow elk hunt from an outfitter. He told me, " You'll be able to kill bulls every day, but have fun trying to get close to those wild ass cows". He was correct. We could have taken bulls every day. Those old, herd boss , cows made things challenging for us !!

If you see this. You screwed up! :)

crockpot.jpg

I wish I lived closer to you Muley_Stalker. I would hang out at the truck with a book and thermos of coffee until you needed me.

It's not the hunt. I can do that ok. It's getting the meat out. I hunt the muzzy season and it can get pretty warm at times. That doesn't leave me much time to get it out.

I'm feeling real bad when I think my elk hunting is done. I'm trying to convince myself that a young cow is ok to take.

April 6 deadline for tags is getting close. I need to make up my mind.

This used to be so easy this time of the year when I was younger. I'd put in for a bull tag and go hunt. This is terrible now.
I feel for you Muley. I truly do. I'll be 71 this season and although I work my tail off to stay in shape and don't have your health issues, it takes a lot longer to recover than it used to. I assume a guided hunt is not feasible? I'm told they do all the heavy lifting.

No, I made it through my whole life doing the whole hunt myself. I have to finish that way too.

Just a stubborn old coot set in his ways. I'm going to do my best to be as close as possible to my Jeep if I can get a buck. Not always possible but i'll try. I'll just haul light loads and take my time getting it skinning and quartered.

All I can do is be as ready as I can get and do my best.

Thanks for your thought.

No, I made it through my whole life doing the whole hunt myself. I have to finish that way too.

Just a stubborn old coot set in his ways. I'm going to do my best to be as close as possible to my Jeep if I can get a buck. Not always possible but i'll try. I'll just haul light loads and take my time getting it skinning and quartered.

All I can do is be as ready as I can get and do my best.

Thanks for your thought.
I understand. My beautiful wife has given me 2 homemade gift cards for guided archery elk hunts with a $6,000 limit. But that's not the point. Like you, I want it just me against everything, the terrain, weather and the animal. Point blank range.
Good luck to you sir.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back