You win a new Browning X Bolt? What caliber do you choose?

I was in your shoes back in 2017 when I one a X bolt Hells Canyon Speed rifle. I had my favorite rifle in the caliber I wanted and several other rifles already. I never owned a Browning and couldn't decide. I thought my daughter may go hunting with me elk hunting someday so I chose it in .308. She killed one deer with it but I have killed many animals with it elk, whitetail and mule deer. It is a tack driver and is the gun I reach for in my safe. I purchased a Xbolt in 7mmHT for my wife. Have yet to shoot it yet.

There seems to be a common theme that surprise me.... 280, 7mmHT, 338WM, and 375 HH were ones I did not think would be mentioned.
7mm, 6.5CM, 308 i expected. A lot more 308s than I thought. I have never had or owned a 308.

In my younger days I wanted a 338.

My 3 for many years have been: 300 WM, 270, 7mm-08. My 300 was my favorite for many years. Power!

The 7mm-08 is my fav now, lighter is nice the older I get.

I'd go with a 243. It can be used from varmints to deer and is a good kid's gun to boot. If not a 243 then go with a 22-250 it's just a fun gun to shoot.

Honestly, after thinking about this more, right now I would get it in whatever I had ammo for or whatever I was set up to reload for. I haven't seen factory .280 ammo available besides Core Lokt in over a year.

So, .308 if I wasn't set on .280 ammo and componets.

I'd probably go with 7mm-08 since I already have one I bought for my wife and getting another one would be good so I could use the same ammo and either use it myself or have one of my sons use.

If not that, the 375 HH is intriguing.

Don’t buy a 22-250 unless you load ammo is hard to come by. 233 or 243. 6.8 is a really cool round and I believe it’s going to get adopted by the military so it may stick around.

Don’t buy a 22-250 unless you load ammo is hard to come by. 233 or 243. 6.8 is a really cool round and I believe it’s going to get adopted by the military so it may stick around.

@jeremys4 My local sportsman's warehouse has gone crazy on the 22-250 Nosler brand. They got in 40 boxes and those 40 boxes stayed around for like 3-4 weeks. I find the 22-250 at Cabelas and Sportsman's every now and then. I buy it for my BIL in MT since he has no big stores anywhere near him. Closest thing is Scheels 5 hours away.

@Hammsolo 300PRC not big enough for a Griz? I don't know, I really am asking.
It’s enough, but I’m always looking for a “reason” for another caliber. If I was on Kodiak, that I probably can never afford, I’d want bigger than a 300PRC. If I could get any caliber I would get a 375 Ruger. Why? It’s a caliber in a range I don’t own. I have a 300 wm.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back