You win a new Browning X Bolt? What caliber do you choose?

I've lusted for a Browning X-Bolt in .308 Winchester (because they don't make them in the best cartridge, .338 Federal). One thing that really bothers me though, is they make them with a 1:12 twist. Most of their other similar offerings have 1:10". It may seem trivial, and may have nothing to do with what I'm seeing, but my 1:10 twist .308s don't like 180-grain rounds. I'd worry that a 1:12 twist might also dislike the heavier rounds.

So besides .308 and .338 Fed, my only other centerfire rifle is .243. My long .243 doesn't see much use, so it would be hard to justify another.

I'd take the plunge and go magnum. Either 7mm Rem, .300 WM, .300 Win Mag, or .338 Win Mag.

Do they make it in .375 Ruger?

UPDATE: I just went to Browning's website. The newer .308s are now 1:10" twist, so I'd probably just go with that.

Last edited:
The key is definitely in your intentions with it. I’ve been eyeing one of the 6.8 westerns so it gets my vote
Problem is the barrel twist is too slow for the super long bullets. I called hammer last week and it really needs at min a 1 in 7.

Problem is the barrel twist is too slow for the super long bullets. I called hammer last week and it really needs at min a 1 in 7.
Steve would definitely know! What I’ve read online (factory ammo) the 1:7.5 in the x-bolt has done well with up to the 175’s (a lot more bullet than my 270 now). The model 70 has a slower twist and has had trouble with the longer stuff. I know they like to spin those hammers fast tho

Good stuff Steve. I'm so glad those guys are doing well. I'll ask him if he remembers you. Haha. mtmuley
Yeah I hit him up last year about my 300win, and then my BIL just got an xbolt long range in 6.8 western and I was curious about the 168 grain hammer hunter.

He’s a fount of knowledge.

I'd get the suppressor ready model in about any caliber 20" and under.

Weighed against what I currently own, a .22-250 or 375 H&H.

I love everything .277 so the 6.8 Western would be tempting. Contrary to what was stated previously, this round isn't the .277 being adopted by the military, that is the .277 sig fury. 6.8 SPC was looked at previously but never got traction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back