Yellowstone in early December

VAspeedgoat

The stars have aligned and we are taking a trip to Yellowstone the first week of December. We are staying near West Yellowstone. I am seeing that December 15th is really the beginning of the winter season and as such, some of our options are limited. I was curious if some of you would mind throwing out ideas of things to do?

I assume the fishing is poor, but was actually curious. I'm not sure if snow mobiles are an option due to snow. Our primary goal is to see a wolf pack and am assuming the roads will be passable to do so.

I would certainly appreciate any advise, thanks in advanced.

Down hill skiing, river fishing, definitely sightseeing, hiking, cross country skiing. The last few years we have definitely been in winter during this time frame.

Yeah, you're gonna want to see what is actually open for driving. More than likely you'll need to take a snow coach into the park.

That is definitely the off season, but the Discovery Center in West Yellowstone is a good time.

The northern part of Yellowstone is your best bet for wolves. Unfortunately you can’t drive into the park from West in the winter. You’ll need to circle around to Gardiner unless you want to book a snowcoach or go the sled route.

You’ll be able to fish the Madison if you want.

Lots of skinny ski options around there if you want to give that a try.

Our primary goal is to see a wolf pack and am assuming the roads will be passable to do so.
No, the roads into Yellowstone NP from West Yellowstone will be closed in December. The road from Gardiner to Cooke City through Mammoth then east through the Lamar Valley is the only road open for the public and is actually the best route from which wolf packs are viewed. But that is a long drive away from West Yellowstone. However, if you rent a snowmobile or take a snowcoach tour out of West Yellowstone, you will see wildlife, visit Old Faithful and enjoy your trip very much.

Ok, quick update. I completely mis read and assumed roads would be open until December 15th and then they would be closed. So I will quickly be re organizing and heading to either Cooke City or Gardiner. Thanks, showing some real incompetence but worth it to save the hastles.

Starting to scramble now, is anything up and going until the 15th of December? Except to rent a snowmobile, everything says it begins on the 15th. This is part of why I just assumed the roads were open.

Obviously have a ton of phone calls to make to clarify your availability etc.

Last edited:
If you stay in Gardiner you can drive into the park. You'll go through Lamar Valley which is where 80% of the wildlife is anyway. You'll also be in the Paradise Valley and there are some spring creeks there you can fly fish. Bozeman is just up the road if you wanted to see it. You can still do a snow coach to Old Faithful, which is a unique experience in itself.

If you stay in Gardiner you can drive into the park. You'll go through Lamar Valley which is where 80% of the wildlife is anyway. You'll also be in the Paradise Valley and there are some spring creeks there you can fly fish. Bozeman is just up the road if you wanted to see it. You can still do a snow coach to Old Faithful, which is a unique experience in itself.
VAspeedgoat, above is good advice to follow for a great visit to the Yellowstone area.

My family and I are planning a trip to West Yellowstone the end of December or the first part of January. Does anyone know who I can contact to rent snowmobiles for a day or two to use in and around the Park? Thanks.

My family and I are planning a trip to West Yellowstone the end of December or the first part of January. Does anyone know who I can contact to rent snowmobiles for a day or two to use in and around the Park? Thanks.
There's a couple places in West Yellowstone that rent sleds, just look it up and call them. FYI, all sleds into the Park are by tours only, you can no longer just go in and do what you want, those are days of the past.

Gardiner is your best bet.

As far as fishing goes, the Paradise Valley spring creeks will be fishing OK. You have to pay-to-play. The Yellowstone River right in Gardiner where the Gardiner river comes in as a good spot on warmer days. There is a thermal spring a few miles up that keep the Gardiner River ice free along with the confluence with the Jelly - there will be fishing rising to midges on warmer days and you can nymph some up, too. No fishing in the Park - season is closed.

Other fun things to do:

Snow coach.
Rent XCountry Skiis or Snowshoes right at Mammoth - you can ski/trek right up the road from Tower to Tower Falls and there are some other nice trails in the Lamar Valley and on the way to it.
Lamar Valley animal watching - as mentioned, the road to Cooke will be open and this is the best place to see some wolves.

I would not recommend staying in Cooke City.

I think I've gotten enough encouragement I'm deffinitely packing rods. I hadn't thought of the snow shoes/ski idea. Deffinitely worth a look. We've gotten a cabin rented in emmigrant that overlooks the Yellowstone. Deffinitely a perk to being off season is the prices and availability.

Do y'all think the bighorn rut will still be in? If love to hear the head butts with my own ears!

I've always had good results renting sleds and staying with these folks. I've never done a Park sled tour, and would not care to do one, but they provide that service as well.

Google up Yellowstone winter tours. There will be several selections depending on the weather. I cannot remember who i used a few years ago but there were several operators spaced apart by regulation. it is a good trip and i am no youngster.

Last edited:
Making some calls to parks fly shop this coming week. I really hope I don't feel like I have to change much. I've got a 9' 6# so hoping that does the trick. May need a sink tip line though.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back