Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Yellowstone Elk Study Points to Lasting Effects of a Hotter, Longer Summer

So global warming dies up summer vegetation, reducing the health of the elk and number of calves born. The remaining elk are in such poor health they cannot outrun the wolves, hence the lower numbers. Wow. Al Gore was right.

Interestingly, the arguments on the appeal to the 2009 relisting of Grizzly bears is falling along Climate Change lines. The appellants and intervenors are claiming that the loss of white bark pine is not a determining factor for grizzly bears since they are omnivores and can switch food sources. As such bears should be delisted.

The folks who want bears listed claim that climate change will change grizz habitat forever, and therefore more protection is needed.

Hopefully the appellants win this one.

Climate change and how it affects hunters is laid out pretty well at Beyond Season's End

Between the wolves, the legislature and climate change, hunters might end up on the ESA.

I dont see why student Arthur would conclude reduced cow pregnancies are primarily caused by changes in forage quality.

It could just be that wolves are particularly hard on the prime breeding bulls.

it could also be that the resident elk herd has less wolves harrassing them and therefore they breed more efficiently.

ill bet even with a few dry years the forage quality in western wyoming and YNP is still better than other places where elk thrive.

i smell something......

Last edited:
I love the picture with the article that has a bull with its fat low hanging belly surrounded by lush forage.

I also love the comparison of Elk and Flycatchers in Europe because they are such closely related organisms.

Back