Yellowstone Destinations

the nikster

I am taking my wife to Yellowstone on Wednesday for a couple of days. We have been there several times and have seen the usual attractions.
Any ideas of some sights you might suggest that don't make all the guides?

If the river is cooperative, take a float trip down the Shoshone River. Last time I did it, it was one of my favorite trips around Yellowstone. Amazing views and when you find out why there are posts stuck about 10 yards from the shore, you'll give yourself a nervous chuckle!

Well...how much time ya got and how active do you want to get?

Here's some ideas for this who want to get off grand loop and the boardwalks around the thermals:

1. Flyfish. Just pick a water and go. To fish the park is an honor and an experience in and of itslef. Throwing a fly while 100 bison close in on you on soda butter wrk and not being able to real km y do anything is so cool.

2. Hike my wasburn. Get a 360 of the park.

3. Do boat ride of Yellowstone lake. History and fishing in one package.

4. Drive beartooth why. Not in the park, per se, but worth it.

5. Hike a backcountry alpine lake. They will be prime this time of year.

6. Hike specimen ridge and so some gistory about it before you go.

7. Horseback ride in sw corner of park.

8. Paint or sketch at artists point in Yellowstone canyon.

9. Picture scavenger hunt all 50 states licence plates.

10. There is new history center in Gardiner I have yet to check out.

11. Catch lake trout and take it to Yellowstone inn. They will cook it for you.

12. Buffalo bill museum in cody. Again not in the park but worth it.

Seriously though, just get off grand loop and pick a hike. #YNP is my favorite place in all creation and you will be we exhaust all to see and do. Take some time and read the history of the place and then follow up on those places. Read some articles about the biodiversity and geodiversity and realize how special the place is. Then go see some of these features yourself.

When you pass through Last Chance, stop at Henry's Fork Anglers. If you go in the next five days, my son, Scott will be there. Ask him where he has been catching fish in the Park. His last trip was a 14 mile round trip hike he described as one of the best fishing days of his life.

Slough Creek should be fishing well with terrestrials right now. Hike to the 3, 5, or 8 mile meadows. I recommend the 8 mile meadow as the Cutts see less pressure. Hoppers, beetles, and black ants. Grizz country too.

Wolf pups in Hayden valley, the den is at the edge f the trees and with a spotting scope are easily seen. You can rent a.swaro from some place in gardner for $40 a day with a phone adapter. My kids had a.blast.

Lamar Valley watching wolves chase the buffalo herds around was pretty amazing.

Saw the opposite while I was there, they had a black wolf exhausted. Three more came out and played around. I had the scope out and it was my daughters turn to watch. "I see them! One is taking a ride on the other ones back! They're funny!"

I could hardly keep a straight face, guess thats one way to assert dominance!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back