Year to year to year

EliAGrimmett

I was going through photos and saw some bucks from 2007 that I also had pictures of in 2008 and 2009 and I wondered how many of you guys have gotten to see the same buck for multiple years? And if some of you have, do you have photos of the buck(s)?

I don't have any pics such as that. Hard to get good ones with a $300 point and shoot model. I have sent Photofin out to photo a bunch of big critters that we will stry to shoot on film next year, but all he has been doing is fishing.

I have video of one B&C pronghorn in NM, then had a tag the following year for a ranch that was about four miles away. Often wondered if anyone shot the buck in the video.

Unless you are in NM or AZ, I think that it's unlikely guys see and recognize bucks from year to year. First, hunters don't often hunt the same areas every year (or scout). Second, most only evaluate bucks to a simple level, shooter or not a shooter, and are not photographing them.

I've only seen one buck two years in a row that I recognized, and I only have one year of photos. Have a guess on what this guy would score with both sides, Eli? He's a good buck for the area (CO). I think he would be about 80".

OneHorn1.jpg

OneHorn2.jpg

OneHorn3.jpg

OneHorn4.jpg

You all bring up really good points and that begs the real question I was thinking about when I posted this: What are the real consequences, if any, of posting photos of giant bucks on the internet? I'm fairly liberal with what I post because A.) I know because we usually guide the auction tag hunter that we'll have first crack at whatever buck we want anyway and B.) because most hunters don't actually go out and look for any of the bucks we find because A.) they either don't have a tag or B.) they don't have the time or C.) they don't have a monetary reason for doing so.

However, there are many giant bucks far bigger than a lot of the bucks I've posted that I've never put online for one reason or another, but I've often wondered if I gain anything by not posting them. Or, if by posting them, I lose anything?

Another question along the same lines I guess is: How many of you have ever seen a buck posted online (deer, elk, antelope, etc.) and actually tried to track down it's whereabouts?

*just things I think about sometimes... ;)*

Oak: I'll take a look at your buck in a bit. AZ Auction Tag is going tonight! Hopefully we win. *fingers crossed*

Oak, I ran the numbers on your one horn buck and came up with 79 4/8.

15 2/8 L
5 7/8 P
12 7/8 B
5 6/8 T

If you have higher resolution versions of those photos and want a more accurate guess send them to my email and I'll give it a shot. Although, since both our scores are pretty close I doubt there's going to be a big discrepancy.

I'm betting you're pretty close. I was stretching it to get 80.

What did the AZ tag go for last night?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back