Yaak/Eureka Montana?

Big Sky

I'm going to head over to this region of the state next fall as much for a change of scenery as anything. However I have never personally set foot in the area yet. If anyone has spent any time hunting big game over there I would l really like to hear about what I can expect in the area? If you just want to PM me that's fine. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole or anything. I'm more curious as to what style of hunting works best over there ie...rattling, spot and stalk, still hunting? Also would like to know what a guy can realistically expect to see for antler size particularly for whitetails? Thank you.

I have only been in that country a few times (my brother lives in the Thompson falls area). but in the few days that I hunted it I learned where we were was not conducive to spot and stalk, that turkeys are never where they are supposed to be, (on the end of my arrow). and that if you call a lion in to 19 yards when you left your gun and bear spray at home, you learn a new level of excitetment. and yes they do stroll away after you shoot in their direction, the only general tag in the state I didn't buy this year was a lion and it would have by far been the easiest to fill!
But that is amazing country to hunt and when you get into the logged off areas then glassing is acceptable but you often have a tough go of getting to where they are, expect lots of still hunting and sitting, and they shoot some dandy whitetails up there but I wouldn't set my sights too high after the past couple years, good luck though!

MTpubliclander, thank you for your response. I'm basically just trying to get a feel for what to expect out there. I may run out this summer and do a little looking around to help get a better idea of where I want to go in the fall.

If you have six fingers and a banjo....you'll blend with the locals.

There are some monster whitetails in that country.

BuzzH, that's funny right there and I've heard similar comments from a number of people. We have a place not to far from here called the Dearborn that is the same way. Weirdest place I've been in Montana.

Nemont, I don't know that I will be spending any time there. I plan on staying at a hotel in Eureka and base my hunting from there. My hunting out of a tent days are over due to sleep apnea that has been doing it's best to kill me off the last few years. It's kind of a bummer to always stay where there is electricity available to run the cpap machine. However, the alternative is a bigger bummer. ;)

There also seem to be alot of forrest roads that get used by the locals, and alot of them walk the old decommissioned logging roads and do pretty good at times so that may also be a good tactic, will you be hunting bears as well?

BEARS ARE ALWAYS ON THE AGENDA!!! That is another reason I want to head that way. I plan on doing quite a bit of that walking the gated roads. We do have bears right here, but not much in the way of gated roads or particularly good deer hunting right at the moment.

I hunted that area during the glory days of the late 80's and early 90's. What an amazing place to hunt with some terrific deer running around. The deer numbers have never fully recovered from the winter of 96/97 and may never due to the inactive timber industry. The vegetation in that part of the state is very thick and difficult to hunt so be prepared for that. The only way I was successful back then was to sit down and let the deer come to me. If you can find timber harvest units that are 0-5 years old and away from open roads you should be able to find deer. If you are a skilled still hunter then by all means there are areas of more open timber to hunt....I was never successful doing this. Good luck to you!

BuzzH, that's funny right there and I've heard similar comments from a number of people. We have a place not to far from here called the Dearborn that is the same way. Weirdest place I've been in Montana.

Even wierder is Stickney Creek. The Dearborn looks semi-normal compared to that place.

Hey, just wanted to say thank you to those of you that replied or sent me a PM or two. It has helped out a bunch. What a great bunch people hang out at this site!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back