Wyoming

chuckyd313

Im not exactly sure where i should be posting this so i figure i'll try it here. I have the opportunity to transfer through work to Green River Wyoming. I have posted on here several times how much i would love to hunt pronghorns in Wy. Theres some good pro's to moving there but i wanted to hear from the extended family of brothers what you all think about it.
First off i'm 43 y.o. married and 3 kids that live at home that would be going along also. What do all of you think of this idea? Can i get some pro's and con's from you guys please?
Thank you all for the words of wisdom in advance.

I lived in Wyoming for a few years and worked in the Rock Springs area a lot.

First the good: The hunting in Wyoming is exceptional. In Green River, you would be near world class elk, deer and antelope hunting. The Green river below Flaming Gorge Is out of the world fly fishing that would only be about one hour south.

Now the bad. Green River is an oil town and the oil/gas fields can draw in less than great people. For a little town...both Green River and Rock Springs can be very tough areas. For full disclosure I worked in law enforcement and saw the worst those two towns offered. You will be in small comunities were everybody will know you business and the is a strong Mormon influence in the area. The mormon thing could be good or bad depending on you and your family. I am not mormon so that goes down as a negative for me.

I love the area but I would not move there. However, I might buy a piece of land in Dutch John Utah for retirement because of the hunting and fishing.

Just my thoughts and I wish you luck.

That sums it up well. I could possibly be convinced to live in Green River, though you'd find my house well out of town. Green River is a little better than Rock Springs in my opinion, only because the type of people I try to avoid are in a lower overall quantity.

My wife and I have often talked about moving to Wyoming so here is what always holds us back. I truly worry about having kids in Wyoming because most of the ones I talk to while vacationing and hunting are looking to leave for more opportunities. I also worry about opportunities in school and extracurricular activities. This is not to take anything away from a great state but sometimes what is appealling about a place may not be viewed like that to others in the family. I often think about friday night football games veing several hours away for example. If your kids are older and can put their input into the conversation and all agree, then go for it.

Like the above posters said Green River is a tough town. But don't let the distance between cities be a downside. If you love to hunt there are endless possibilities! You also wouldn't be too far from Salt Lake City which can make for a fun weekend. I think every town in Wyoming would be considered a tougher crowd, but you don't have to be worried about anything. Stay out of the bars and you will be fine. A plus is there is no state tax so you could save some money there. Tough choice but I know you will make the right one.

Wyoming is awesome to VISIT, for hunting. Visit during the other 9 months of the year and report back, it's just too rural for me, and too windy.

Thanks for the input guys. i really do appreciate it. I think i need to sit down in front of the computer and just doing ALOT of googling about the town. i could also transfer to Casper or even Gillette. I just want to live in a smaller town and i love friday night football. I think i need to talk the wife into visiting when its NOT hunting season and see how it is then vs. how it is during the seasons. My plan would most definitely live out of town for sure though. Thanks again guys for the info. i knew i could get it straight up from fellow HT'ers.

Casper & Gillette are big time oil towns. Casper has a lot of stores & restaurants, but it's becoming over run with less than desirable folks from all over the country I'm told by people who live there.
The constant wind drives most folks nuts and they head back home. And Wyoming is now in a job downcycle...oil and gas & coal industries shutting down and laying off.
I just want to make sure you know what you're moving into. Crime is on the rise too, now that the high pay oil patch jobs are drying up.

If I was to choose a state to move to for hunting and fishing only, it would probably be Wyoming. With that said, I wouldn't ever want to live in Green River (especially with kids). For all the reasons already mentioned.

'Spent last week in Casper, where Mom-in-law lives on the Platte River. There are lots of fishing and hunting opportunities in the area or not far. It is a busy, windy, fairly crime-heavy little oil city with lots of traffic buzzing around. It was really hot and windy last week.

'Don't know much about Gillette other than it's also oil-oriented.

My wife grew up in Cody and I would move there in a hunter's second ... but don't suppose that is an option for you. I wish it was and you would start sending us photos of your hunts there.

Come to Sheridan, the rest of the state sucks (actually it BLOWS!!) I lived in Casper for over 20 years , I will never go back due to the relentless 35mph breeze and 60mph gusts, and also the number of people and the type. It has changed a lot in the last ten years, and not for the better.

Sheridan has very little wind compared to the rest of the state, great people and plenty to do with the Bighorns out your back door.

If Wyoming had body parts, Gillette would be the armpit and Rock Springs would be the butthole. Hope that helps. Lol

Might plan a trip to WY in Feb, get the good winter winds on your face. That could make you like or hate one city more then the others.

I've been through Green River a few times just passing by and always though it would be an awesome place to retire, if it wasn't so alone... Not much around, I know I don't need much, but my kids might!

Thanks for the input guys. i will have to see if Sheridan has a place for me to transfer to. I have to think a lot about my kids on this one. 3 kids between 8-14, I'm going to need some options of things for them to do. The good thing is all 3 hunt and fish. Guess ill get behind the computer and just start googling up a lot of things to go by for options.

I live up in Northern Wyoming, rural Park County...near Cody.
I don't think I've ever lived somewhere safer. I bet half of the cars in my neighborhood have the keys in them and the windows open. I work and am retired military so I do like the no state income tax. We do have a 4% sales tax. Very friendly folks, not too many crazies..
I see animals most every day...lots of Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetails, bears, and some Moose & Big Horn Sheep.
I moved here from Atlanta 8 years ago, and will never move back.

What are jobs like in the northern part near cody? I have 16 years L.E. experience but got out of it due to all the b.s. went back to diesel mechanic and welding

I was planning on moving to Sheridan soon, but just got back from an o.m.o. Elk hunt there, and although I had a great time saw plenty of wild life and love the area, the size of Sheridan turned me off plus the cost of bacon. $5 more added to you breakfast which was already high. as soon as I figure it out I will post pics. love Wyoming in general. did love some of the smaller towns in-between.

I live in Green River.

I would say that GR is more of a mining (specifically trona) town than an oil and gas town.

Rock Springs is more of the oil and gas town, probably because of their adult sexy clubs for gentleman.

Pros of living in Green River: Hunting (Sage Grouse, a few wayward chukars, surprisingly the duck hunting is decent on the river, sand hill crane, rabbits, Pronghorn are hard draws near green river, deer hunting is good, but the rock springs side is a hard draw, elk hunting is doable, but the red desert is a tough draw, no turkeys - though Dutch John is close), Stillwater fishing (Wind River lakes, Flaming Gorge, Fontenelle, & Viva Naughton), Stream fishing (Greys, North Platte, Sections of the Green), and Bow fishing (Carp in the spring), Lots of public land that you can use to go shooting, riding 4 wheelers/side by sides, walking dogs, hiking, arrowhead hunting, etc. Lots of people in the community are involved with the high school and you really can't go anywhere without seeing high school swag, and the community has a low crime rate.

Cons of living in Green River: If you live on the wrong side of the bridge, you have to cross the bridge to get into town, Train noise (They run all night and if you live close you will not enjoy it), bad cell phone coverage( anywhere outside of the city or freeway the coverage fades fast), high cost of housing (Some people will live in Lyman and work in Green River, because it is significantly less to do so), mesquitos (They are bad until they spray), and the weather .

ChuckyD. How about Laramie? College town, low crime. Mountains close by (Snowy Range) excellent hunting. I got my moose in the snowies this year. Lots of Elk & Deer and great fishing. The downside is hard to find and expensive real estate.

Back