Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Wyoming with 0 points?

AssawomanGunsmith

So I know I'm late to the game this year but unfortunately I'm sitting with 0 points in Wyoming for Antelope (I've been buying points for deer and elk but not pronghorn for some reason) anyway I have to travel through Wyoming sometime this fall and I want to hunt, so my question is if there is units I can draw at 0 points are they worth it? If I can does it mean I wont be able to find public land to hunt? Sorry I am Eastern guy that's only hunted the west with an Outfitter before.

With planning and some screen time with OnX you should be able to construct a plan that puts you in the game. There will be animals, the question in those units is will they be on public when you need them to be. But we have hunted 0 point units the last 3 years and brought home meat each time.

This is my first year in Wyoming for pronghorn. 0 points. Trying to figure out how it works as a non resident with the public land there.

This is my first year in Wyoming for pronghorn. 0 points. Trying to figure out how it works as a non resident with the public land there.
Go to county road and bridge dept website. Get their county road map for the unit you are planning for. While not 100% perfect they get you 95% there on which roads you can drive on. Then use a map tool like OnX to see where the public roads take you and which of those parcels are accessible via public road or public trail. You will be surprised/disappointed at the large amount of seemingly public land that is inaccessible via public road/trail. Use google earth to get sense of terrain likely to hold pronghorn, including water sources. Pay attention to HMAs and WIAs in the unit (and read the rules - they can vary).plan on trying to find accessible areas a mile or two in from the road - lots of guys will not walk that far for a pronghorn. Get out there in early to mid august to scout around and familiarize yourself and confirm what your computer work suggested. Either get there a day before opener and find your animal on public and “put them to bed”. They will often stay there for the night. Get back there before shooting light and get in place for a shot at first light. In the alternative, wait until the 2nd, 3rd or 4th week - they will be spooky by then but at least there won’t be a sea of orange pressing every inch of limited public. From 10am on opener through the first week - good luck as you and hundreds of other “pumpkins” flood the roads and wander the limited public land.

Go to county road and bridge dept website. Get their county road map for the unit you are planning for. While not 100% perfect they get you 95% there on which roads you can drive on. Then use a map tool like OnX to see where the public roads take you and which of those parcels are accessible via public road or public trail. You will be surprised/disappointed at the large amount of seemingly public land that is inaccessible via public road/trail. Use google earth to get sense of terrain likely to hold pronghorn, including water sources. Pay attention to HMAs and WIAs in the unit (and read the rules - they can vary).plan on trying to find accessible areas a mile or two in from the road - lots of guys will not walk that far for a pronghorn. Get out there in early to mid august to scout around and familiarize yourself and confirm what your computer work suggested. Either get there a day before opener and find your animal on public and “put them to bed”. They will often stay there for the night. Get back there before shooting light and get in place for a shot at first light. In the alternative, wait until the 2nd, 3rd or 4th week - they will be spooky by then but at least there won’t be a sea of orange pressing every inch of limited public. From 10am on opener through the first week - good luck as you and hundreds of other “pumpkins” flood the roads and wander the limited public land.
Thanks for all the info here. I have 3 weeks to hunt and I’m trying to decide to go the first 3 or the last 3. I have onx, the public road situation is what I have to figure out next then look for a unit.

Thanks for all the info here. I have 3 weeks to hunt and I’m trying to decide to go the first 3 or the last 3. I have onx, the public road situation is what I have to figure out next then look for a unit.
Dang now that's the antelope hunt of all antelope hunts. The two times I've hunted them in WY. it didn't take three hours. Both leftover tags and both very nice bucks. Like said above three days is plenty of time. You better find much more to occupy your time in those 3 weeks.

I would look to the eastern units , Around Douglas to Lusk area . Plan on a couple days week two or later if you have extra time take your fishing rod there is some great trout fishing on the Platte that time of year.

Three weeks is a long time to hunt antelope. Three days is plenty.

I’d be there opening day if I had three weeks available. The crowd will clear out after opening weekend.
It’s a hunt/camping for my 12 year old son and I. If we get done early probably go find some new fly fishing places.

It’s a hunt/camping for my 12 year old son and I. If we get done early probably go find some new fly fishing places.
If you have the time and you both have tags (and even pick up some doe tags for meat), prep your own meat, and you are picky about your shots you can string it out a bit.

and call those gosh darn wardens.

those wyoming wardens are some of the most helpful folks around. and they'll give you the final word you need on any questionable access issues you're finding.

I would look to the eastern units , Around Douglas to Lusk area . Plan on a couple days week two or later if you have extra time take your fishing rod there is some great trout fishing on the Platte that time of year.
Or any of the units along the green river. Fishing is good.

and call those gosh darn wardens.

those wyoming wardens are some of the most helpful folks around. and they'll give you the final word you need on any questionable access issues you're finding.
And they can be surprisingly honest. I knew I was in for a tough hunt one year when the warden for the unit I drew said, "wow, they sold twice as many tags in that unit this year as the animal base can bear - but they had to because the town council was up on arms that they could not have a reduction in hunter numbers." Yup - never seen more orange chasing the same few animals. But we punched our tags and had a good time. If you are expecting a Teddy Roosevelt goes to Africa experience you will be disappointed, but if you just want to be outdoors, spend time with your son and probably bring home some tasty meat - then you will get plenty of that.

And they can be surprisingly honest. I knew I was in for a tough hunt one year when the warden for the unit I drew said, "wow, they sold twice as many tags in that unit this year as the animal base can bear - but they had to because the town council was up on arms that they could not have a reduction in hunter numbers." Yup - never seen more orange chasing the same few animals. But we punched our tags and had a good time. If you are expecting a Teddy Roosevelt goes to Africa experience you will be disappointed, but if you just want to be outdoors, spend time with your son and probably bring home some tasty meat - then you will get plenty of that.
Teddy spent bunch of time hunting wyoming, until the influx of other hunters then he went to africa... wonder if he had a governor tag?...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back