Wyoming Unit 9. WIA and State Land Update?

Unit 9 has a lot of access to both State Lands and also in the WIA program.

I have hunted there for pronghorn, on a leftover tag, additional buck tag. There are going to be other hunters, but it has enough access to spread the pressure around some.

I hunted north of Manville and shot a buck on State Land.

I've never seen any really big bucks in that unit, but some bucks in the low 70's...tons of smaller ones.

Here is a link to the WIA's

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/uploads/huntingwalk/niobrara/Niobrara.pdf

Also check converse county as well, cant remember if there is any WIA in unit 9???

Thanks for those WIA maps! Where does a guy go to get those for the state?

Thanks for those WIA maps! Where does a guy go to get those for the state?

Very simple! Get on the G&F website and click on "Public Access" at the top of the page. When that comes up click on "Private Lands Public Wildlife". That will bring up your four choices and if you want what BuzzH posted then click on the far left box marked "W-I Hunting". The other for hunting access is the second from the right marked "Hunter Management Areas". Those will take you in to make your selection of what general area of the state you want to look at for you hunt, so then click on the county to bring up the maps for the WIHAs. The HMA ist is the actual names of the individual areas and you click on whichever one you want to look at. BuzzH went through those first couple actions I mentioned and then clicked on the area that was being asked about in order to put up the link he did.

My bad. I didn't zoom the map out. I was looking at that big chunk on the mid west part of the unit. Is that a situation like unit 27 where there's no roads into the state land without having to go through private land?

My brother and his wife archery hunted unit 9 last year..they both killed bucks out of the same blind in only 2 days. They got access to a private farm and all it cost him was a case of beer for the landowner.

Is that a situation like unit 27 where there's no roads into the state land without having to go through private land?

Looks like HWY 270 runs right through that big chunk of state in unit 9. Never hunted it so I can't really comment on it other that what I see on the map and Gazetteer. Seems like decent access to that particular piece.

Looks like HWY 270 runs right through that big chunk of state in unit 9. Never hunted it so I can't really comment on it other that what I see on the map and Gazetteer. Seems like decent access to that particular piece.

That's what I was thinking. I just wonder why it's considered a difficult access unit.

I've hunted it and it has good access to the walk ins. Most of that big block of state land is a ridge and a bit too rugged for pronghorn. The southern part has antelope and is where I have hunted. The walk ins do a good job of giving access to the same areas. The northern part of that block looks like it should hold some pronghorn but I haven't seen many. It may just be an issue of suitable habitat making it a limited access area.

Back