PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Unit 7

The landowners seem to hold the power not the outfitters. WGF can plan all they want but the landowners totally control access to the game in an area like 7.

I'm guessing the landowners would prefer to work with the outfitters, especially local outfitters, rather than allow x number of unknown guys to wander around their property with weapons. The landowner could collect the same amount of money either way but having a local guy responsible for the hunters behavior during the hunt might put their mind at ease.
I'm just spit balling here. I don't know what I would do if I was a big Wyoming landowner in prime elk country.

Where do they come up with these ideas? I don't understand how making that area general will solve anything.
They are just floating an idea. Tend to agree that it would solve little other than increase the frequency that current outfitted NR hunters could hunt unit 7. Last year in the NR Special drawing Unit 7 took 12 PP to guarantee a tag and Gen took <4 to guarantee a tag. The folks that have the desire and means to pay for an outfitted hunt in Unit 7 would, theoretically, draw the Gen tag 3 times in the time it would take to draw a Unit 7 Type 1 tag.

What are people's thoughts on having general tags be good for antlerless only? That seems most palatable but would it still put too much pressure on accessible public or just not move the needle with residents who aren't interested on tagging a cow with an any elk tag?

The landowners seem to hold the power not the outfitters. WGF can plan all they want but the landowners totally control access to the game in an area like 7.

I'm guessing the landowners would prefer to work with the outfitters, especially local outfitters, rather than allow x number of unknown guys to wander around their property with weapons. The landowner could collect the same amount of money either way but having a local guy responsible for the hunters behavior during the hunt might put their mind at ease.
I'm just spit balling here. I don't know what I would do if I was a big Wyoming landowner in prime elk country.

My main thing is, if we have more elk than we should, we need to start slow and help the people now with tags, fill them. I think we should do longer hunting seasons. Most people are held back by vacation and PTO from work. Allow more time so maybe the guy holding a tag, can get out and hunt more then just a few weekends or one weekend for rifle. Then review and decide how to move forward after the data is in.

IMO no matter what is done, it should benefit Wyoming residents. Maybe an additional cow tag, bull tag, longer seasons for residents only. In the end, the hunters are willing to help, its up to the landowners to decide how much they want to solve the problem versus how they can possibly make money off the problem.

What are people's thoughts on having general tags be good for antlerless only? That seems most palatable but would it still put too much pressure on accessible public or just not move the needle with residents who aren't interested on tagging a cow with an any elk tag?
I think they should start by extending the seasons. Possibly for residents only. More time in the woods equals more chances or time to harvest an elk.

I worry the general decision will push everything to private but I dont know. I dont know the area to well but can be in the unit in 25 mins from home. Dont want to see it get ruined. If they are gonna make changes I believe it should be one thing, year by year and review results.

I've no idea how easy it is for residents or landowners to get antlerless tags there in addition to a general any elk tag. If they are freely available, I have little sympathy for landowners complaining about elk overpopulation.

I've no idea how easy it is for residents or landowners to get antlerless tags there in addition to a general any elk tag. If they are freely available, I have little sympathy for landowners complaining about elk overpopulation.
As of 2022, the GoHunt odds for resident for me for the 7-6 tag was 100% odds. I applied for the reduce cow tag for 19 and then 7 this year.

IMO no matter what is done, it should benefit Wyoming residents. Maybe an additional cow tag, bull tag, longer seasons for residents only. In the end, the hunters are willing to help, its up to the landowners to decide how much they want to solve the problem versus how they can possibly make money off the problem.
I agree but printing even 1000 more resident tags is not giving them access to the elk, just more opportunity to hunt next to your neighbor.

There are walk-in HMAs in 7 that are almost all used by residents but the road conditions come November are unpredictable. There is even a website updated almost daily for late season hunting in 7 giving road conditions and elk sightings. I've talked to residents that have no interest in those tags. Those that I've talked to that use them are pretty hard core with more free time. Hunt when the weather is nice or just the weekends.

The notion that hunters are willing to "help out the landowners" by hunting their elk sounds a lot like the ranchers in Texas and Oklahoma who complain about pigs. They will let you help them , for a price.

I agree but printing even 1000 more resident tags is not giving them access to the elk, just more opportunity to hunt next to your neighbor.

There are walk-in HMAs in 7 that are almost all used by residents but the road conditions come November are unpredictable. There is even a website updated almost daily for late season hunting in 7 giving road conditions and elk sightings. I've talked to residents that have no interest in those tags. Those that I've talked to that use them are pretty hard core with more free time. Hunt when the weather is nice or just the weekends.

The notion that hunters are willing to "help out the landowners" by hunting their elk sounds a lot like the ranchers in Texas and Oklahoma who complain about pigs. They will let you help them , for a price.
True, that "price" there asking for nowadays seem to cater to a very small percentage of hunters. Maybe I dont make much money but dropping $10,000 on a guided hunt seems unfathomable lol. Maybe some once in a lifetime sheep hunt or something out of the lower 48 but jeeeez for an elk? I can buy a lot of beef for $10,000 lol.

I don't understand how making that area general will solve anything. The first year would be awesome, but after that they will have the same issue they currently have, and never addressed the true problem, and that is access in general.
Agree with everything you said except the part about the first year. Unless they limit the General tag holders somehow, I bet it would be a $hitshow. Would be a good year to hit other General areas in my opinion.

Where is this? The Elk Area 7 Information page on the G&F website has not been updated since January 2021.
Ha! That's about the last time I looked because I had a UW college friend who was hunting there late

My main thing is, if we have more elk than we should, we need to start slow and help the people now with tags, fill them. I think we should do longer hunting seasons. Most people are held back by vacation and PTO from work. Allow more time so maybe the guy holding a tag, can get out and hunt more then just a few weekends or one weekend for rifle. Then review and decide how to move forward after the data is in.

The Cow/Calf license is good for Aug 15 to Dec 31st now. Not sure how much longer you would need to make it as that certainly isn’t the problem. Access to the elk which take safe harbor on inaccessible private is the issue and hard for any agency to fix that. It’s up to the landowners if they want to grant access or not. Many will for a fee but to some $1500 and up is not feasible for a trespass fee. Going General is a bad idea as it just increases pressure on the limited amount of HMA and public land.

I voted for maintaining limited archery and limited early rifle with a general rifle to follow which I commented would be predominantly valuable on private land at that point. They have to do something to manage the sanctuary herds. What do I care if they unleash a ton of folks into the unit, people should be aware it will be a madhouse on public, and the limited access points, but that most of the elk will be laughing from across the fences on private. If the ranchers with crop damage problems want to outfit or allow access to General hunters to chase the herds, more power to them all, I would be hunting elsewhere.

The Cow/Calf license is good for Aug 15 to Dec 31st now. Not sure how much longer you would need to make it as that certainly isn’t the problem. Access to the elk which take safe harbor on inaccessible private is the issue and hard for any agency to fix that. It’s up to the landowners if they want to grant access or not. Many will for a fee but to some $1500 and up is not feasible for a trespass fee. Going General is a bad idea as it just increases pressure on the limited amount of HMA and public land.
The longer season comment would be for the full price option. The bull tags which have a short rifle season.

It's not all elk staying on sanctuaries...there's plenty of lazy elk hunters too.

Plus, there's problems with the elk tags being used on the refuge hunts too.

Another problem is that weather can really make it tough to access elk.

I will be apposed to unit 7 going general. Lots of ways to kill elk there that haven't been tried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back