Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Unit 7

Watts307

I noticed on GoHunt that it was a 100% draw odds for the Resident Elk tag type 2 (7-2), in Unit 7. I see it says valid in Converse County, which I am assuming means this hunt is only valid in the areas of Unit 7 inside Converse County. I haven't hunted much of unit 7 but believe it stretches beyond.

Does anyone know how much of unit 7 is inside the Converse county line? Or maybe had success finding an overlay map involving specific hunt units and county lines.

Onx will show the hunt area and county boundaries. It’s a fairly small part of area 7 and most of it is private land. It’s also only valid for bulls with 5 or fewer points on a side.

Onx will show the hunt area and county boundaries. It’s a fairly small part of area 7 and most of it is private land. It’s also only valid for bulls with 5 or fewer points on a side.
Ah! I just wasn't zoomed in enough for the county lines to populate. Ya it doesn't look like much and most of my waypoints seem to be past the lines. I think Ill pass. Thank You.

It is for only inside of converse county and also if you draw it the tag is a general for youth. So it gets more pressure that just the tags that are drawn

This isn’t true. In 2021, a youth could shoot any elk on 7-2. This was removed for 2022
From my understanding in 21 they could shoot any elk. Then they changed it because the dads were trophy hunting with the kids and the bulls were not getting killed as the tag was intended. In 22 I do believe it was general for youth on the 5 point or less

From my understanding in 21 they could shoot any elk. Then they changed it because the dads were trophy hunting with the kids and the bulls were not getting killed as the tag was intended. In 22 I do believe it was general for youth on the 5 point or less
There’s no general season in 7 for youth or adult. This information is readily available. No need to rely on “I do believe…”.

There’s no general season in 7 for youth or adult. This information is readily available. No need to rely on “I do believe…”.
That’s good for the 350 people that will have the tag be less pressure while they are hunting. It’s a do able tag if you know the area or someone that does

I thought this Type 2 tag in Area 7 was a Wagonhound proposal to reduce raghorns and not get the big trophy bulls busted up.
But I do believe I could be wrong.

I got an email from WY about input for Unit 7 going to General next year. Thoughts on that? Seems like it be a real shit show, at least for a while.

I got an email from WY about input for Unit 7 going to General next year. Thoughts on that? Seems like it be a real shit show, at least for a while.
I bet anyone that burns points on it this year would be kinda pissed

Doesn't matter how many tags you issue or if you make it a general license, if you can't access the elk you can't reduce the population.

Last edited:
If population has reached a level where it can tolerate a Gen tag then I have no problem doing so. Like @Carl 9.3x62 stated, its really more of an access issue.

Making it a Gen tag would increase the number of NR Gen tags made available, under the current system.

Was that email from Wyo G&F?

Yep, i got it too. Said they sent it to me based on having applied for a tag there within the last 5 years.

Intro to the survey has the following background explanation:

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is conducting this survey to understand sportsperson opinion on elk management and hunting in the Laramie Peak area (Elk Hunt Area 7). You are receiving this email because you applied for a license in Elk Hunt Area 7 within the last 5 years.

Timeline
The survey results will be evaluated this spring during the 2023 season-setting process. A decision of whether or not to pursue a change in management will be made at that time. If a change is warranted, then the earliest it would be implemented would be for the 2024 season.

Key Information
The Laramie Peak/Muddy Mountain Herd Unit encompasses Elk Hunt Areas 7 & 19. This herd has a population objective of 5,000 elk postseason. The current population estimate is 12,500 elk. Elk management is very challenging in this herd due to the mixture of private and public lands. As this population has increased, hunter satisfaction has declined, bull quality has diminished, public land hunting quality has deteriorated (during rifle season), and land management issues have increased. These challenges arise from a high percentage of elk occupying private lands, a problem which seems to have grown worse over the past decade.

Current Hunting Structure
The current season structure and license quotas are not working to bring the population towards objective. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department (Department) currently issues 5,350 licenses per year in Hunt Area 7, which results in 4,800-5,000 hunters in the field each year. This number of hunters far exceeds that of any other limited quota hunt area in the state and is comparable to major general-license herds in southeast Wyoming such as the Sierra Madre herd (about 5,300 elk hunters in 2021) and Snowy Range herd (about 5,500 elk hunters in 2021).

Potential Addition of General License Opportunity
The primary goal of adding a general license to the season structure in Elk Hunt Area 7 would be to increase harvest, especially on private lands, by providing more flexibility and opportunity to hunters and landowners. The Department acknowledges there are pros and cons to adopting a general season framework, and wants to preserve public land hunting quality to the extent possible. Adding a general license could be accomplished in multiple ways ranging from a complete shift to general licenses or a combination of general and limited quota licenses (e.g., limited quota only for archery, general and limited quota for rifle, general only for rifle, etc.).

Goals of a general season structure:

• Increase elk harvest
  • Increase opportunity and flexibility - get licenses in the hands of people with access
  • Increased opportunity may lead to more elk movement between public and private lands

I'm not that well versed in the area. From what I have read, it seems the issues parallel those experienced in parts of eastern/central MT? Limited big bull, high $ private land hunts at odds with the limited access and elk available on public.

Last edited:
I just filled it out. Where do they come up with these ideas? I don't understand how making that area general will solve anything. The first year would be awesome, but after that they will have the same issue they currently have, and never addressed the true problem, and that is access in general. But game and fish will somehow screw up my favorite area again.

Yep, i got it too. Said they sent it to me based on having applied for a tag there within the last 5 years.

Intro to the survey has the following background explanation:

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is conducting this survey to understand sportsperson opinion on elk management and hunting in the Laramie Peak area (Elk Hunt Area 7). You are receiving this email because you applied for a license in Elk Hunt Area 7 within the last 5 years.

Timeline
The survey results will be evaluated this spring during the 2023 season-setting process. A decision of whether or not to pursue a change in management will be made at that time. If a change is warranted, then the earliest it would be implemented would be for the 2024 season.

Key Information
The Laramie Peak/Muddy Mountain Herd Unit encompasses Elk Hunt Areas 7 & 19. This herd has a population objective of 5,000 elk postseason. The current population estimate is 12,500 elk. Elk management is very challenging in this herd due to the mixture of private and public lands. As this population has increased, hunter satisfaction has declined, bull quality has diminished, public land hunting quality has deteriorated (during rifle season), and land management issues have increased. These challenges arise from a high percentage of elk occupying private lands, a problem which seems to have grown worse over the past decade.

Current Hunting Structure
The current season structure and license quotas are not working to bring the population towards objective. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department (Department) currently issues 5,350 licenses per year in Hunt Area 7, which results in 4,800-5,000 hunters in the field each year. This number of hunters far exceeds that of any other limited quota hunt area in the state and is comparable to major general-license herds in southeast Wyoming such as the Sierra Madre herd (about 5,300 elk hunters in 2021) and Snowy Range herd (about 5,500 elk hunters in 2021).

Potential Addition of General License Opportunity
The primary goal of adding a general license to the season structure in Elk Hunt Area 7 would be to increase harvest, especially on private lands, by providing more flexibility and opportunity to hunters and landowners. The Department acknowledges there are pros and cons to adopting a general season framework, and wants to preserve public land hunting quality to the extent possible. Adding a general license could be accomplished in multiple ways ranging from a complete shift to general licenses or a combination of general and limited quota licenses (e.g., limited quota only for archery, general and limited quota for rifle, general only for rifle, etc.).

• Increase elk harvest
  • Increase opportunity and flexibility - get licenses in the hands of people with access
  • Increased opportunity may lead to more elk movement between public and private lands

I'm not that well versed in the area. From what I have read, it seems the issues parallel those experienced in parts of eastern/central MT? Limited big bull, high $ private land hunts at odds with the limited access and elk available on public.

Thanks
I received the survey today. Ha!

I just filled it out. Where do they come up with these ideas? I don't understand how making that area general will solve anything. The first year would be awesome, but after that they will have the same issue they currently have, and never addressed the true problem, and that is access in general. But game and fish will somehow screw up my favorite area again.

Agree. Landowners "manage" the elk herd in that Area.

7 is pretty big. I wonder if they split it into smaller areas if it would have any effect? I doubt it. Private land would still dominate the landscape.

This makes me feel like the guides just want more money and tags but I could be wrong. If the landowners are having a problem with too many elk then let real hunters help or have more access or extend seasons. Then charging people to pay some ridiculous $5k-15k bill to walk next to someone who knows the area. All this leads to is a bunch of NR yuppies paying for social media photo and pretend to hunt. And it screws the normal guys just wanting to do what they love.

I am biased to things like this though, because I could care less about guides, outfitters, and these ridiculous prices.

Back