Wyoming Unit 7

I like the idea of closing down the HMA down for days at a time to let them recoup, that's kind of what they do for Mentor Knob but I am not sure if there is data to show if Mentor Knob produces more elk harvest than say Pinto or McFarlane by doing that. It would be interesting to see unless you know that data.

But also, how would you determine who is a good hunter and who isn't? If you leave that determination up to the game and fish it might be a cluster. I mean I think of myself as a pretty good hunter who kills a lot of elk up there but to them I just might be another hunter who wouldn't qualify as a "good hunter". I mean I like the idea of good hunters get more tags but just seems very subjective and another decision left up to those yahoos.
I think the solution is getting responsible hunters on those places that are currently very leery of just throwing the doors open to anyone.

I've seen many things happen on HMA's that would leave me wondering if I would continue in the program if I were a landowner.

But also, how would you determine who is a good hunter and who isn't? If you leave that determination up to the game and fish it might be a cluster.
You can be sure it would be a cluster no matter who did the choosin'. It would take years to agree on just the selection criteria.

I think the solution is getting responsible hunters on those places that are currently very leery of just throwing the doors open to anyone.
Isn't this the reason landowners with elk are leasing to outfitters? Nothing gets hunters, responsible or not, on the ranch faster than $

I've seen many things happen on HMA's that would leave me wondering if I would continue in the program if I were a landowner.
I mean I like that solution, I just don't know if that can actually be done. It's like I almost have to give a landowner my hunting resume and have him tag a long with me so he can see how I hunt that way he can trust me. I just don't know how that will work unless game and fish does a screening process for them.

I agree that being a landowner that is enrolled in those programs should get more recognition than they already do because it can't be easy dealing with idiots all the time.

Do you know what happened to the program they did like 10 years ago, where you would meet up with the warden on a meeting location and they would tell you where the elk where roughly located on a piece of land and you had permission to go on the landowners land and hunt? I felt that was effective program but they did away with it after a few years and I wonder why that was? Any idea?

Isn't this the reason landowners with elk are leasing to outfitters? Nothing gets hunters, responsible or not, on the ranch faster than $
Not when the point is to get over-objective elk killed.

If landowners want elk killed, they have to come to terms that most hunters are NOT going to pay $3K to kill one.

I can tell you that at least some landowners would be agreeable to letting people go if they could trust them.

That's the challenge, getting them the right hunters.

I mean I like that solution, I just don't know if that can actually be done. It's like I almost have to give a landowner my hunting resume and have him tag a long with me so he can see how I hunt that way he can trust me. I just don't know how that will work unless game and fish does a screening process for them.

I agree that being a landowner that is enrolled in those programs should get more recognition than they already do because it can't be easy dealing with idiots all the time.

Do you know what happened to the program they did like 10 years ago, where you would meet up with the warden on a meeting location and they would tell you where the elk where roughly located on a piece of land and you had permission to go on the landowners land and hunt? I felt that was effective program but they did away with it after a few years and I wonder why that was? Any idea?
Montana does it...one of the few things I believe they've done right in the past 35 years.

I think once you develop a relationship with a landowner, they won't require a resume' or tag along. But if that's what it takes to establish initial access...so be it.

Another solution might be to raise the compensation cap for WIA and HMA to attract more landowners with higher compensation for access.

That same thing that you describe in your last paragraph still can/does happen, but not for just anybody. Again, its that trust thing between the hunters, landowners, and department.

Last edited:
Not when the point is to get over-objective elk killed.

If landowners want elk killed, they have to come to terms that most hunters are NOT going to pay $3K to kill one.

I can tell you that at least some landowners would be agreeable to letting people go if they could trust them.

That's the challenge, getting them the right hunters.
Ok fine you twisted my arm enough I’ll apply for it.

Two points that will be going away doesn’t get me much more anyway. Might as well embrace the challenge.

Ok fine you twisted my arm enough I’ll apply for it.

Two points that will be going away doesn’t get me much more anyway. Might as well embrace the challenge.
Reduced priced antlerless tags don't take your points.

I filled it out and was curious to as why they wouldn’t just make the 7-2 general if they where to make any of it general. At least that way your keeping the herd bulls alive

OTC cow tags will only increase road traffic, and a few more people will be complaining on Facebook and posting pictures of private cows they saw a from the road. Same number of cows will die.
I disagree, there have been quality killers that want to go but don’t draw a tag. Not everyone that applies is a slob road hunter….

I say give the general season for cows a try. Try it out for a couple years and then re-evaluate. Remove the general season if it isn't working.

I’m lost on the general season for cows stuff? There are literally thousands of cow elk tags between type 4, 6, and 7 that are available with type 4 and 6 normally available in the left over draw. Putting out MORE tags or making the cow season general? clearly isn’t the answer.

I'm sure this has already been stated but in 7 it's an access issue, not a tag volume issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back