Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Unit 42 Antelope

hawkeye44

I should draw a Unit 42 antelope tag this year and I am seeking some input from others who have previously hunted the unit. We hunted unit 90-1 last year and had a great time. I know that Unit 42 is probably a step down from Unit 90-1 but what can I expect? There is a lot of private property in Unit 42 but there is also a large walk-in area and a HMA on the western side of the unit.

What can you tell me about the unit? Will I find huntable goats on the HMA and the walk-in area? Do I need to seek/pay for access on private property? What quality of goats will I see? Should I wait a couple weeks after the opener for the crowds to die down? Should I go early and try with my bow?

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hawkeye44

Propably won't get much info as this being your first post. Stick with the forum and contribute for a while and you'll get more informmation when you ask. Ive never hunted 42 so I can't help you there.

Your questions are good and very reasonable. Unfortunately, on this site help related to specific hunts is thin and not often in coming. No matter how much you participate. Even via private message have seen precious little help when drawing rare tags a number of guys have drawn but chose to not step up and give even a few basic heads up about.

Just the culture of this site. Great guys but who happen to be mute or deaf and mute.

Do not know 42 at all. Or I am "one of those guys":D

I have not hunted that unit, however, I just pulled up my HuntingGPSmaps and the little public land that there is..... is checkerboard. Not much access. You might want to call the district biologist and get landowner names.

good luck to all
the dog

When I hunted that unit we were able to glass a fair number of antelope, but only two were interesting. One was chased by other hunters into another unit before the season opened, a tag holder from that unit harvested the buck opening morning. We were unable to relocate the second buck once the season opened and ended up harvesting bucks that would have been decent for SD, but were sub par for Wyoming. I will not return to that unit unless the quality improves drastically. Good luck!

This is a unit 42 public land goat. Drop me a PM and we will chat.

Attachments

• Boller's antelope.jpg
    Boller's antelope.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,368
Thank you to those of you who responded. I know that I am new to the site. I was directed here by others from other forums. Sometimes it is hard being the "new guy."

Fiveptbill, I will be sending you an pm.

Hawkeye44

Your questions are good and very reasonable. Unfortunately, on this site help related to specific hunts is thin and not often in coming. No matter how much you participate. Even via private message have seen precious little help when drawing rare tags a number of guys have drawn but chose to not step up and give even a few basic heads up about.

Just the culture of this site. Great guys but who happen to be mute or deaf and mute.

Do not know 42 at all. Or I am "one of those guys":D

"GREAT GUYS"???? is this just a brag board or to help your fellow outdoorsman to have a successful experiance?

kinda sad that a forum that is for the "do it yourself" hunter would not want to promote the "pass it on" mentality......i guess i should not have just sent a dozen or so replys to p.m's about hunts/info....

Last edited:
Treed-

I thought these two posts were very helpful. So I have trouble with your perception that the guys on this forum are snarky about give up any information. Would you give the coordinates to your favorite honey holes?

"I have not hunted that unit, however, I just pulled up my HuntingGPSmaps and the little public land that there is..... is checkerboard. Not much access. You might want to call the district biologist and get landowner names."

"When I hunted that unit we were able to glass a fair number of antelope, but only two were interesting. One was chased by other hunters into another unit before the season opened, a tag holder from that unit harvested the buck opening morning. We were unable to relocate the second buck once the season opened and ended up harvesting bucks that would have been decent for SD, but were sub par for Wyoming. I will not return to that unit unless the quality improves drastically. Good luck!"

"GREAT GUYS"???? is this just a brag board or to help your fellow outdoorsman to have a successful experiance?

kinda sad that a forum that is for the "do it yourself" hunter would not want to promote the "pass it on" mentality......i guess i should not have just sent a dozen or so replys to p.m's about hunts/info....

treed - could you please explain what you define a 'successful experience' to be? Is success defined for you as killing something? A close encounter? Seeing an animal through binos? No emergencies calling you back to work? Being stuck in a thunderstorm on top of a mountain? Splashing water on your face from a mountain stream? Just being out in God's country?

No matter which hunting site/hunting board/hunting magazine/hunting service, I'd be cautious (not in a negative way) of any information given. How can you trust it to be accurate no matter who gives it? Further, how can you trust that each year, that same information is valid? What if animals move to a new location? What if the same dates between two different years yield different movement patterns? What if a winter kill was harder on a pocket of animals where it used to be a honey hole? What if? What if? What if?

That being said, there is a fair bit of emphasis many of us place on trust...if a guy proves he is trustworthy, he'll get deeper/detailed information from me on areas. If I don't know someone, I'll give high-level info, but it should be good enough to have a 'successful experience' according to my definition. But being burned in the past, even by family members, I'm very cautious of explicit details of hunting grounds I share. Again, to each his own.

Next time you hunt Walk-in-Land notice if the rancher put up 6 roll of bar wire around the land. This happen serveral places, one side of the ranch an outfitter lease and the Walk-in-Land was so fence up I do not think a turtle could get thru.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back