Wyoming Unit 25

Liberty556

Gents, I am heading to Unit 25 with a couple of other fellas to hunt October 5th and 6th. One member of our party did a solo pronghorn hunt last year in a different unit...the other 2 of us have never done a pronghorn hunt.

Looking to see if anyone has experience with this unit specifically? I understand it has "limited" public land access, but does that mean we are going to be running into other hunters constantly on a Monday/Tuesday hunt?

I also cannot find any solid information about cellphone or 2-way radio usage for pronghorn. Legal to keep track of each other only? Or are they legal to communicate the locations of animals to each other?

I know nothing about this zone other than what I can see on On X which I recommend you get immediately. Casper is near by and it looks like there is sufficient public land which touches the rd where you can hunt. You may want to call fish and game to talk about parking situation unless you’re getting dropped off. Good luck!

Attachments

• 186FFAC4-D926-48CA-B278-6D77E9F253FB.png
    186FFAC4-D926-48CA-B278-6D77E9F253FB.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 22
I know nothing about this zone other than what I can see on On X which I recommend you get immediately. Casper is near by and it looks like there is sufficient public land which touches the rd where you can hunt. You may want to call fish and game to talk about parking situation unless you’re getting dropped off. Good luck!

Yes, I should have mentioned that our party does have an onX account, so we are good there.

I guess I was more looking for insight on just how busy this Unit will be on weekdays. We are only used to hunting (mainly) private land in our state, and I guess we aren't looking forward to having to sort of "compete" with others in the same area. It is our understanding that MOST folks stick to the areas just off of roadways, and won't necessarily walk a mile out to see what is over the next hill...which is what WE plan to do.

You will certainly have the opportunity to compete for public land animals there, even on weekdays. It’s a short season by WY standards, so the pressure doesn’t really have time to die down. It’s a tough unit to hunt, but beats staying home by a mile.

It looks like there is an area in this unit where you could pack in. If you’re not adverse to hiking I bet you will lose 99% of the crowd within 2 miles. I think you will be successful.

Stick to your walking in plan and you'll have success. Walking in has become all the rage these days though, so you will still see other hunters more than likely. Just have fun and be courteous, they're out there doing the same thing you are.

My husband and I have the same tags. Wish I had some info for you, but we haven't hunted the unit before either. We plan on walking in from the roads on public too.

Nice first post welcome to Hunt Talk. :sneaky:

Unsure if that emoji is an "eyeroll" or not. I searched around on here and other places before making this post, and couldn't find what I was after. Sorry if it seems frivolous or redundant

Thanks for the replies gents (and ladies). I think my next course of action is to make a call to the Casper Game and Fish office.

I have always received a much better response from the BLM office than the G&F office in Casper. An "in person" visit to the BLM office will probably be well worth the effort when you get to town. Some people do not like having outsiders hunting on the BLM land that their family rents, but the BLM managers have a different attitude and can be very helpful.

#25 Is a very easy and quick drive from Casper and makes for a convenient hunt for the local fellows and the oil and gas guys. Their pressure will move most of the game to private land in short order at the beginning of the season. Once the deer or elk seasons open most of those guys do not pay much attention to pronghorns.

Ya walk 2 miles into limited public..you surely wount hit any 2tracks on blm that could be driven on by the masses from casper. Just go figure it out when there, keep it fun and you will all fill your tags. Welcome to HT!

I've hunted it. There was pressure, but it wasn't ridiculous. As I recall, there are one or two roads that look like they're public on a map, but really aren't. G and F should be able to help you with that.

Check with the county Road and Bridge Dept for road info, they know exactly which roads are in fact public. Some may show public on their map on website but are not in fact public for the entire length. The Superintendent will be able to answer questions about the roads, email them.
Do not rely on OnX for road info.

Check with the county Road and Bridge Dept for road info, they know exactly which roads are in fact public. Some may show public on their map on website but are not in fact public for the entire length. The Superintendent will be able to answer questions about the roads, email them.
Do not rely on OnX for road info.

Thanks for this tip. I’ve got a road that I was curious about, but didn’t think of contacting them.

Thanks

I've hunted it. There was pressure, but it wasn't ridiculous. As I recall, there are one or two roads that look like they're public on a map, but really aren't. G and F should be able to help you with that.

This. One of those roads was mistakenly identified in one of Randy's videos as providing access to public. It doesn't. The next year there were a ton of people driving around on opening morning trying to access it and some driving over fences to do so.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back