Wyoming state land within an HMA

HONEYBADGER

Looking at some of the HMAs in Wyoming has raised a question for me. If there is state land within the boundaries of the HMA, that is accessible by public road, is that state land subject to the terms of the HMA? In other words if that land is a draw hma for antelope hunting during certain times of the season, is the state land within the boundaries of the HMA also off limits to those that did not draw?

It would seem to me that state land would still be huntable as long as you are not crossing private to get there, because I have not heard about Wyoming restricting access to state land anytime during a season, but the HMA boundaries give me pause.....Anyone know?

The HMAs that include state land that immediately come to my mind (Duncan Ranch and Pinto Creek) require a permission slip. You can’t hunt them without a slip. Not knowing which one you’re talking about, the best answer is to call WGFD.

Most of the time the HMA page will state if state lands are enrolled in the HMA.
I would contact the access yes coordinator for the area you're talking about.
Does the HMA map show the state lands within the boundary ?
If they touch a public road and have legal access most times they are open outside the HMA rules, but some are enrolled in HMAs.

I called the Laramie office today. Was advised as long as the state land can be LEGALLY accessed, it is still huntable even if it lies within the boundaries of the HMA.

I called the Laramie office today. Was advised as long as the state land can be LEGALLY accessed, it is still huntable even if it lies within the boundaries of the HMA.

Yeah, there's lots of examples of that in SE Wyoming that I can think of. I had this same question last year, and recieved the same response from GF.

Along those lines, I've seen several HMA and walk ins that bordered state land that is otherwise not accessible. The state land is not within the boundaries of the walk in/HMA, but it does share a boundary. I was curious if anyone has ever asked if you could access that state land via the walk in/HMA. I've always assumed the answer is no, and that they would've put that land within the boundary if they meant to make it accessible. But I haven't got a chance to confirm that yet.

It would be nice if you could, but like I said, I assume the answer is that you can't. And that's ok too. I'd rather have some access than no access obviously.

That’s really odd. I know the Glenrock warden writes a thick stack of tickets for people hunting Duncan Ranch HMA without a slip, and it’s all state land with two county roads bordering it.

Yeah, there's lots of examples of that in SE Wyoming that I can think of. I had this same question last year, and recieved the same response from GF.

Along those lines, I've seen several HMA and walk ins that bordered state land that is otherwise not accessible. The state land is not within the boundaries of the walk in/HMA, but it does share a boundary. I was curious if anyone has ever asked if you could access that state land via the walk in/HMA. I've always assumed the answer is no, and that they would've put that land within the boundary if they meant to make it accessible. But I haven't got a chance to confirm that yet.

It would be nice if you could, but like I said, I assume the answer is that you can't. And that's ok too. I'd rather have some access than no access obviously.

That's a no.

Hopefully you talked to Jason Sherwood about your specific situation. And keep in mind that things vary by region in some circumstances (like @madtom mentioned, so its best to speak the the Access coordinator in the region you are hunting with your specific situation.

If you can legally use the walk-in/HMA, then why couldn't you walk through it to the state land?

I'm assuming you mean if you don't have permission to the HMA, then you can't walk through it. That would be accurate.

What madtom said is correct, if you have permission to hunt an HMA or a walk-in, you absolutely can hunt bordering State and Federal lands that share a boundary with the HMA or walkin area.

I've asked the access coordinator in the Laramie that exact question, but included blm land as well. He said yes you can access public land via an hma if it borders the hma, as long as you have a valid hma permit for that hma and are following the hma rules. Basically if the hma is good for elk hunting, and you have the hma permit, you can't hunt the bordering public land for deer. But with any access question involving HMAs, I'd recommend just contacting the relavent access coordianor or game warden. Best to get the info directly from them.

I've asked the access coordinator in the Laramie that exact question, but included blm land as well. He said yes you can access public land via an hma if it borders the hma, as long as you have a valid hma permit for that hma and are following the hma rules. Basically if the hma is good for elk hunting, and you have the hma permit, you can't hunt the bordering public land for deer. But with any access question involving HMAs, I'd recommend just contacting the relavent access coordianor or game warden. Best to get the info directly from them.

Interesting. I'll certainly ask about specific areas as they arise as it's always better to have established communication with GF on something like that before you do it. That begs another question though. When GF maps a walk in, for instance, with state that borders it, why don't they just include that in the boundary? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. That's why I was assuming they/the landowner didn't intend to convey access to that particular parcel.

Interesting. I'll certainly ask about specific areas as they arise as it's always better to have established communication with GF on something like that before you do it. That begs another question though. When GF maps a walk in, for instance, with state that borders it, why don't they just include that in the boundary? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. That's why I was assuming they/the landowner didn't intend to convey access to that particular parcel.

The border usually follows a fence line.

I guess I was assuming that there was some complicated landowner relations thing going on where one guys says, sure you can have walk in on my land. It borders state/blm, but that's leased for grazing by my neighbor, and I buy hay from him, and I know he'd prefer to keep people out, and I don't wanna piss him off by putting hunters over there, so let's just keep the access to my land. If there was consistency in how those areas are mapped, I wouldn't have been confused. Sometimes I over analyze... if you guys couldn't tell :)

I guess there's another plausible answer in the case of walk ins. Maybe the neighboring landowners or the landowner that provided the walk in has a road that goes into the public section and they don't intend to limit those folks to walk in hunting only. That would make sense.

Either way, I'll just ask, cause I run into this question all the time. For instance, look at the west end of the Overland Trail HMA. There's a state section on the western border that is within the boundary, but there are two state sections, one north and one south not within the boundary that border the section just east of that that is also within the HMA boundary. If those are accessible through the HMA under the HMA rules, why not just make that evident on the map by including them in boundary. It would save guys like me that get analysis paralysis a lot of headache.

Fwiw, I had a similar question although mine is regarding BLM not State. I just got of the phone with the Casper office and was told if you can access the BLM from a public accessible road you can hunt the BLM regardless of whether or not it is part of a HMA.

If you can legally access the State Land that's within the HMA then you have 100% right to hunt it and hunt everything that is legal (and that you have a license for), with or without being signed up with an adjoining HMA.

That’s really odd. I know the Glenrock warden writes a thick stack of tickets for people hunting Duncan Ranch HMA without a slip, and it’s all state land with two county roads bordering it.
The Duncan Ranch has special rules for access to hunting through an agreement with the State Lands Office and the Wy G&F. Those rules fall under G&F regulation and yes they will write tickets for those who don't have HMA slips. Some believe the state should not treat state trust lands, under HMA rules, like they are private HMAs, and I tend to agree with that.

There are also other examples of restrictions agreed upon by the two agencies, such as road closures during hunting season, that limit the use of state land.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back