Wyoming river access

efw

I found a huge piece of public with a river running through it. To access the river upstream of that area, however, I’d have to pass through private lands.

To clarify... thinking a large canoe put in at the nearest bridge upstream of the public section and pulled out at the first bridge downstream of it.

Is this legal in Wyoming?

Thanks for any insights!

Last edited:
That will be tough in Wyoming. Unlike Montana, you can't legally access rivers from most bridges. You would also need to be certain flows are high enough to float the entire stretch without needing to get out to drag the boat- the river bottom is still private property. The possibility of ice on slow moving sections during hunting season would complicate things further.

Unless it's a section of river that's normally run by rafters or fishing guides, I wouldn't do it.

Send me the waypoints and I will let you know. Haha, just kidding. There are a few places like that that I have been eyeing as well. As far as I can tell it is legal as long as the put in and take out is legal access (I don't think bridges are), and you don't touch the bottom of the river, although I think you can legally portage around unfloatable areas such as fences and diversion dams. Not sure if a shallow section due to low flows counts though.

Send me the waypoints and I will let you know. Haha, just kidding. There are a few places like that that I have been eyeing as well. As far as I can tell it is legal as long as the put in and take out is legal access (I don't think bridges are), and you don't touch the bottom of the river, although I think you can legally portage around unfloatable areas such as fences and diversion dams. Not sure if a shallow section due to low flows counts though.

I agree on all points. Below is a helpful BHA summary table.

Thanks gentlemen this is all very helpful! I knew this would be legal in Montana just wasn’t sure about Wyoming.

Thanks gentlemen this is all very helpful! I knew this would be legal in Montana just wasn’t sure about Wyoming.

Beware of banjos and wire strung bank to bank based on a movie I saw once years ago. I think one of the inbreds did taxidermy of the victims.

Back