Accessing Private Land

HuntDon

I bought a whitetail only tag here in Idaho. The tag allows me to hunt with archery equipment during the rut. The unit I want to hunt is heavily private agricultural land but there are sections of blm. There is a really nice river flowing through the unit. I am looking at hunting agricultural land bordering the river. My question is, what is the best way to contact landowners and see if they would allow me to hunt their land? Would it be knocking on their door? Would a written letter be better? If you were the landowner, what approach would you prefer? I wrote a letter to use as a template if I go that route. Thanks for the input!

Included in letter:
-Archery equipment only
-Date range of tag
-Would notify ahead of time exactly what dates. Also, notification on how I plan to access their land.
-Would only access land on my own two feet. I would not use a vehicle, of any sort, on their land
-No trash would be left
-Fences would be left exactly how they were found.

Phone call and then knock on the door to meet them. Letters are ok but landowners we know usually don't respond to them.
Write then call maybe.
Good luck !

We always give landowners walleye or peppersticks for letting us gain access. ive also helped out on the farm for a few days picking rock and helping fence.

Knock on doors. Writing a letter is not a great idea. The owners usually like to have a look at who they're dealing with. Take along a stack of business cards. If you don't have any there's lots of outfits on line can make up something nice very reasonably. I deal with Vistaprint. Maybe print up some photos of yourself to staple onto business card. Make it something unique, pertinent, and interesting. Something the landowner won't forget. I use the below photo with my business card. Actually, you can have photo of yourself printed as background on business cards. That would be ideal. Guess it's time to place another order with Vistaprint!20210822_094301.jpg

Knock on doors. Writing a letter is not a great idea. The owners usually like to have a look at who they're dealing with. Take along a stack of business cards. If you don't have any there's lots of outfits on line can make up something nice very reasonably. I deal with Vistaprint. Maybe print up some photos of yourself to staple onto business card. Make it something unique, pertinent, and interesting. Something the landowner won't forget. I use the below photo with my business card. Actually, you can have photo of yourself printed as background on business cards. That would be ideal. Guess it's time to place another order with Vistaprint!View attachment 233167
Who's door did you knock on to knock off that beast?

I bought a whitetail only tag here in Idaho. The tag allows me to hunt with archery equipment during the rut. The unit I want to hunt is heavily private agricultural land but there are sections of blm. There is a really nice river flowing through the unit. I am looking at hunting agricultural land bordering the river. My question is, what is the best way to contact landowners and see if they would allow me to hunt their land? Would it be knocking on their door? Would a written letter be better? If you were the landowner, what approach would you prefer? I wrote a letter to use as a template if I go that route. Thanks for the input!

Included in letter:
-Archery equipment only
-Date range of tag
-Would notify ahead of time exactly what dates. Also, notification on how I plan to access their land.
-Would only access land on my own two feet. I would not use a vehicle, of any sort, on their land
-No trash would be left
-Fences would be left exactly how they were found.
What unit are you in?

Who's door did you knock on to knock off that beast?
Property owner is Alec. Impressive fella. I'd heard stories about him and after meeting him in person, I believe them. Perhaps a bit older than me, somewhat shorter, and maybe twenty pounds lighter but definitely not someone I would mess with! Very protective of his rhinos. Poachers on his property have been known to vanish into thin air. If you ask him, he'll tell you his property is an alien landing zone. So you better have knocked on his door before hunting ... or expect to go home with ET.

I'm from Idaho Falls and the unit is here in southeast Idaho. Honestly, I'd be willing to travel though.
You're limiting yourself if you're looking to hunt Whitetail and are focused on SE Idaho. When you get north of the Clearwater River, the proportion of whitetail grows by factors of magnitude. Also, significantly more public or quasi-public land (Timber Company, University of Idaho, National Forest, and state land)
If you decide to head north, feel free to reach out.

You're limiting yourself if you're looking to hunt Whitetail and are focused on SE Idaho. When you get north of the Clearwater River, the proportion of whitetail grows by factors of magnitude. Also, significantly more public or quasi-public land (Timber Company, University of Idaho, National Forest, and state land)
If you decide to head north, feel free to reach out.
I sent you a PM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back