Wyoming Resident Poll for or against preference points

I don't want a point system.

If there was one to be adopted, the only way its ever going to get support is to make it very simple.

1. A 50/50 split on available tags between Random and Preference.

2. No point averaging. Party goes in with the lowest point total of the applicants.

3. The NR and R point systems will be identical.

If all 3 of those aren't met, there will be very little, if any, support from most hunters I know.

Polls don't mean squat on these issues.

Mixed feelings on this, I have a distaste for the random draw for no other reason than I cannot draw a tag to save my life. Even though I have never drawn a LQ tag for Elk, I do like the fact that I at least have every bit of a chance as the next guy to see that mystical word "Successful" on my profile. However, I would love to see an idea of a bonus system. Such as North Dakota has for their residents, if you are unsuccessful you don't get a preference point but instead you get a bonus application. Meaning your single application gets multiplied for every unsuccessful year and the drawing is still at random. Although I hate seeing that disgusting word "Unsuccessful" plastered on all my applications year after year, I do enjoy hunting some of the very productive general areas that we have to hunt here in Wyoming. Good luck to all!

My great-grandpa, when someone would do something stupid, would always ask them if they had "a thinking brain in their head."

I can't help but wonder how anyone with a thinking brain in their head could possibly support a preference point system these days. One only needs to look at every single other state that has implemented one to see what a disaster they turn into.

Not sure how Wyoming resident system is. Here in Iowa the only season with a quota for residents is early muzzle loader season. only 7500 tags available. Its a first come first serve basis and I like it that way.

I'm against all point systems, even if they do not effect me. I feel that a true random draw is the fairest of all systems.

Speaking as a non-resident and therefore not qualified for this thread -

Preference point systems do not increase or decrease the number of tags. They only distribute them.

I like preference point systems because they tell me when I can hunt a particular unit. This let's me plan hunting trips. They also favor those who are willing to plan ahead.

In addition, they give me a choice between chasing a glory unit or hunting less
Popular units more frequently.

I recall one post on this forum where someone was complaining about PP systems and saying that all he wanted was to take his 12 yr old son on a sheep hunt. Not realistic, no matter what system is used to allocate tags.

Point systems are evil. In the beginning, they sound great. But after a while, the only people with a real chance of drawing are the ones who got into it when it first started. The newer, younger hunters, have little chance of drawing and not much of an incentive to even try. Here in Washington we started our point system in 1996, and now, with thousands of people having 20 points for many species, it must be very discouraging for those starting out with zero. Ours is not a preference point system, so everyone does have a chance, but with points being squared, the 20 point person has a four hundred times greater chance than the person applying for the first time.

Speaking as a non-resident and therefore not qualified for this thread -

Preference point systems do not increase or decrease the number of tags. They only distribute them.

I like preference point systems because they tell me when I can hunt a particular unit. This let's me plan hunting trips. They also favor those who are willing to plan ahead.

In addition, they give me a choice between chasing a glory unit or hunting less
Popular units more frequently.

I recall one post on this forum where someone was complaining about PP systems and saying that all he wanted was to take his 12 yr old son on a sheep hunt. Not realistic, no matter what system is used to allocate tags.

Im another guy not voting on this poll but I agree. For an out of state guys, not being able to plan stinks. I think point systems work as long as there is a cap. In my opinion guys who want to bank a point or two to guarantee a draw use them frequently. Guys saving for a chance at a glory unit aren't as worried about planning because they've already decided to go all in and deal with the hassles that come along with it. I'm sure if I was a resident or lived closer that I would feel differently.

Point systems screw our children but carry on. Me,me,me,me,me,me....

Not as much as lands being transferred to the state and sold will.

I don't know if I would put the children of the mollycoddled millennials to the top of the list of reasons of why not to have a point system.

Some of us millennials would like the opportunity to hunt ourselves, let alone have a chance for our future children to draw a decent elk or deer tag without 57 PPs.

Some of us millennials would like the opportunity to hunt ourselves, let alone have a chance for our future children to draw a decent elk or deer tag without 57 PPs.

Excuse me for being an uneducated flatlander, but I thought in WY you could hunt a fairly good Elk unit with only 2 points?

Not as much as lands being transferred to the state and sold will.

I don't know if I would put the children of the mollycoddled millennials to the top of the list of reasons of why not to have a point system.

I'm 46. Does that make me a millennial? My 12 year old son who can hunt for the first time this year is now 20 points behind in the moose game. I'll let you google point creep and put two and two together on your own if you can count that high.

I didn't smoke any dope today but I'm pretty sure this thread was about Wyoming Preference points for residents and not public land sales.

Excuse me for being an uneducated flatlander, but I thought in WY you could hunt a fairly good Elk unit with only 2 points?

Looks like we're from the same flat lands.

My statement was pretty hyperbolic but from a non-resident's perspective and having to deal with points on nearly every hunt I apply for outside of IL it's becoming a very depressing scenario of events which involve buying intangible assets that seemingly become less and less valuable over time. For two years in a row I applied for a WY pronghorn unit with a special tag that according according to the prior year's data should have been almost 100% draw odds but each time the point creep increased to such a level where they continue to be just out of reach. Same thing happened with the elk unit I applied to this year, what should have been pretty good odds with the special tag was completely out of reach. As someone who only recently got into hunting within the past 4-5 years, and even then only out west in the past two, it's a bit discouraging to see tags and units that are effectively impossible to ever draw, especially as a non-resident. I understand that with high demand tags like sheep, goats, etc. there have to be systems put in place to deal with the draws, and that life's not fair, but I still think there is probably a better way.

That said, 57 points to draw a tag might not be out of the realm of possibilities given Brad Daniel's example. I don't even have kids yet, but assuming I had any within the next 5 years they could potentially be looking at 37+ points given his kid being 20 points behind right now.

Wrong. Its realistic for a 12-year old to draw a sheep tag in Idaho. Why? Because Idaho doesn't have a point system to disadvantage the youth.

Don't treat me too bad if this is a stupid question. But would a cap on max points work? Or would it just mean you would need to maintain max points just to draw a tag?

Back