Wyoming residency?

WildWill

My brother recently moved to Casper for work. He and the family moved into their new home this weekend. So am I correct in assuming by next September he can be my wilderness guide? Are there any requirements he has to meet besides residency to "guide" me? I assume at least hunter safety, which he already has. I'm thinking it's time to burn some elk points.

Wyoming statute says nonresidents must have a licensed guide or resident companion to hunt big or trophy game in federally designated wilderness areas. The resident companion will need to get a free non-commercial guide license from a Game and Fish office

He also may need a valid hunting license for the same area you are hunting, but I may be wrong on that. Just look it up.

He needs to reside in WY a full year. By next September you are talkingg 2022 correct?
Yes I meant 2022. Didn't draw anything in Wyoming this year.
He also may need a valid hunting license for the same area you are hunting, but I may be wrong on that. Just look it up.
Wyoming statute says nonresidents must have a licensed guide or resident companion to hunt big or trophy game in federally designated wilderness areas. The resident companion will need to get a free non-commercial guide license from a Game and Fish office. The law does not prohibit nonresidents from hiking, fishing or hunting game birds, small game, or coyotes in wilderness areas. Only nonresident big and trophy game hunters must have a licensed guide or resident companion.

That's what I've been able to find. I guess the question is what does he need to get the free non commercial game license?

I guess the question is what does he need to get the free non commercial game license?
Looks like he needs a valid big game license and can obtain the resident guide license from any of the regional offices, the headquarters office in Cheyenne, or a game warden.Screenshot_20210804-203824_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• ITEM-Resident-Guide-Information.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
The hunting license requirement might be a killer. For residency, he has to be here for a year, to apply for a resident tag, that year has to have happened when he applies, so in the spring, so he can draw a resident tag for the fall. It goes by applciation date, not hunting date. He could, theoretically get a non-resident tag and guide you, but then again, non-resident tag is what he will be hunting on next fall anyway

The hunting license requirement might be a killer. For residency, he has to be here for a year, to apply for a resident tag, that year has to have happened when he applies, so in the spring, so he can draw a resident tag for the fall. It goes by applciation date, not hunting date. He could, theoretically get a non-resident tag and guide you, but then again, non-resident tag is what he will be hunting on next fall anyway
Great info. Will he will be able to buy OTC and leftover tags in August of next year after the one year? Also does he have to hold the same tag in the same unit as me or can he have any big game license and guide me? Sounds like I need to make a phone call to WYGF.

Great info. Will he will be able to buy OTC and leftover tags in August of next year after the one year? Also does he have to hold the same tag in the same unit as me or can he have any big game license and guide me? Sounds like I need to make a phone call to WYGF.
I would recommend just calling G&F. But the way I understand it is he can just buy a general deer or elk license, even a wolf, black bear, or mnt lion license to meet the big game or trophy game license requirement. He can buy those in the fall.

Called game and fish for clarification. He can use a non resident tag to apply for the resident guide license as long as he's met the 365 day residency rule at the time of applying for the guide license. Also he could purchase a OTC tag after the 365 to qualify. Sounds like we will be good to go by September 2022.

Called game and fish for clarification. He can use a non resident tag to apply for the resident guide license as long as he's met the 365 day residency rule at the time of applying for the guide license. Also he could purchase a OTC tag after the 365 to qualify. Sounds like we will be good to go by September 2022.
You will be go to go next year-even if your brother had trouble using his non-resident license to get a resident guiding license, he can just pull a GEN deer or elk tag over the counter. Btw, he is legally allowed to have Non-resident and Resident tags for the same season. I had to make sure that I was legal doing that, since I am a new WY resident myself. (I got non-resident Pronghorn tags in the draw this year, and waited until my "one year mark" to buy my GEN deer tag, OTC.) Good luck next year!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back