Wyoming region C or Y

Whittailhnter

My dad and I are planning on going to Wyoming to for our first out west big game hunt. We will be chasing mule deer in October with rifles I have been doing a lot of reading and can’t decide between region y or region c have read about the access issues in c and lots of pressure in y. Just looking for some first hand info on the two regions and maybe some units to begin looking. Not looking for somebody’s honey hole just general info. Also just want a respectable mule deer not necessarily looking for monster. We would try to a combo with antelope if we can but want to mainly want to focus on mulies. Any advice or info will be appreciated.

My dad and I are planning on going to Wyoming to for our first out west big game hunt. We will be chasing mule deer in October with rifles I have been doing a lot of reading and can’t decide between region y or region c have read about the access issues in c and lots of pressure in y. Just looking for some first hand info on the two regions and maybe some units to begin looking. Not looking for somebody’s honey hole just general info. Also just want a respectable mule deer not necessarily looking for monster. We would try to a combo with antelope if we can but want to mainly want to focus on mulies. Any advice or info will be appreciated.

Are you planning on hunting this year? Or next year? Do you already have tags? If so which tags?

I wouldn't do a combo hunt for your first trip. I'd concentrate on figuring out one animal. Hard to hunt both effectively unless doing a trespass hunt.

I’m doing a 23 / region C combo hunt this year. Ive hunted the area several times before and feel confident I will fill my tags. On previous trips I’ve had no problems finding both, and regret not having deer tags on previous trips. All you need is time.

I hunted antelope unit 16 and had a region C deer tag also a couple years ago. I ended up taking a small mule deer buck on the last day. I only hunted deer one day as my focus was antelope. Had I only been hunting deer, I am confident I could have turned up a bigger deer. There is a fair amount of pressure but plenty of public land to hunt. IMO, for a first hunt, I would not try a combo unless you plan on going out for more than a week.

Do you hunt private or public land?
I’ve done both successfully. First time we went out completely blind, hunting public. We both took decent bucks off of BLM a couple of days into the hunt. We spent the rest of the time scouting for return trips. Private was a tresspass fee last year for antelope. This year I have a type 2 buck antelope, type one doe tag and a region C type 1 deer tag. I expect to fill them all.

Last edited:
I’ve done both successfully. First time we went out completely blind, hunting public. We both took decent bucks off of BLM a couple of days into the hunt. We spent the rest of the time scouting for return trips. Private was a tresspass fee last year for antelope. This year I have a type 2 buck antelope, type one doe tag and a region C type 1 deer tag. I expect to fill them all.
Nice good job on the successful hunt thanks for the info

Reactions: FLS
You’ll find the season dates for areas in C and Y differ. The areas themselves aren’t different enough in my opinion to say one will be a better hunt than the other. Pick one that works with your antelope unit and go for it. You’ll want onx in either place to make sure you know where you can be.

Reactions: LCH
Y in October can be hit or miss. If there is snow the deer will head down in elevation and it turns into thicker forest and then more private land, at least on the east side. Can be a tough gun hunt.

I've hunted region C several times, my biggest was a 155 inch 5x5, the other times were basket rack 3's and 4's. Make sure to buy a point this year to up your chance in the draw for the deer tag. You could always pick up a few antelope doe tags and do some recon for your next hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back