Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Pronghorn Unit 113

CubsFan

I’m traveling up from Colorado the second weekend in October to hunt this unit and looking for any tips. I’ve never successfully harvested any big game but heard WY antelope is a good way to get my feet wet. The unit has limited public land access but there does seem to be some reasonable chunks in the very south and northwest of the unit. Also it seems possible to thread a needle and access a large chunk in the middle of the unit if you are willing to hike which I am.

I’ll have my phone with onXmaps for Wyoming. My plan is to hunt the two more accessible chunks and if nothings doing there try and get to the large middle section of BLM. I’ll be looking for a good spot to camp in or near the unit as well. If anyone has hunted the area and has any tips please let me know. Thanks.

I can't help you, but good luck. I have a doe tag for that area and will be out there the last to weeks of October. I got the doe tag just to learn the area a bit

The big piece in the Western side has no access last time I looked. The roads going NE off the Interstate aren't public. The county gis online map and a phone call would be a good idea; the county can help you navigate that unit.

Last edited:
Thanks 5Speedjim, I'll let you know what I find in early Oct. I just have a doe tag as well.

WapitiBob, you are right about the big chunk in the west. I do think it is possible to access it from the south on foot though after a relatively long hike. I'll check the resource you mentioned, I've been using onXmaps with the landowner info so far.

I will be there on the 14th so if you see a black tundra with PA plates, say hi! Ive hunted that unit 5 years in a row, and pressure has been greater year over year. Still, if you walk you will be fine. Lots of road hunters and a few that dont' pay attention to the property boundaries'. I average 12 miles day on foot and have only ever seen a couple other hunters. There are not a ton of animals but enough to keep it interesting.

I hunted there in 2012 on the western side of the unit before the Meike ranch was sold. On the northern side the 48 Ranch Partnership has access tied up and they won'the give permission. The large BLM area in the north area can be accessed from the road but it will be quite a walk, if memory serves me, you can also access some of the southern BLM land by driving down to the town of Midwest. There is a road that goes north and I do believe it is public, you'll want to research this if you get tired of walking. Look up the Johnson County mapserver to find landowner names, get a list of names from WY g&for regional offices to get phone numbers. Good luck, I miss the smell of sagebrush, and am jealous. Hope this helps

Was out there today and saw very few Pronghorns. I managed to bump tons of mule deer though. I'll be out there again tomorrow hoping for some better results.

Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to harvest a doe early Saturday and be back in Denver in time for the Cubs game.

@5SpeedJim pm me if you have any questions ab the unit I'll try and answer them.

IMAG0241.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back