Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Points Decision

coleslaw

I have 3 elk points going into this year's Wyoming draw. I should pretty much be guaranteed a General Elk tag. Should I put in for a General tag and be done with it, or should I continue to accrue points and maybe get drawn in the next 10-15 years for an area that is not designated as nearly 50% Wilderness area? It usually wouldn't be an issue to sit back on points like I am in other states, but I refuse to pay thousands of $ to go on a guided trip into a wilderness area just because I am deemed not as competent in the backcountry as Wyoming residents or those who are just out for a hike. (No offense to Wyoming residents, I wish I had what you have in your backyard lol)
Yes, I know I could apply for those home run hunts with .001% odds or whatever they are, but Wyomings date changes this year kind of knocked that away for me as well as many others. I feel more people will be applying for these kind of hunts while holding onto their points or will be jumping ship with 3- 8 points and doing what I am thinking about doing and just sticking with a general tag. I fear this may make the general hunts that much more crowded.

Any thoughts on the General tag v.s riding it out and maybe getting lucky for the next +/-10 years?

The general units can’t get “more crowded” since the nonresident quota for general tags is capped. It could require more points to draw a general tag if people truly decide to dump points. Let me know when you find the crystal ball.

I’m not sure what type of hunt you’re looking for, but there are plenty of general units that are not made up of 50% wilderness. If I were you, I would avoid chasing the dragon of a blue chip unit and dealing with point creep.

Go general if you can make the time for it this year. I wish we’d have gone that route. I honestly wouldn’t even consider trying to get more points and going limited entry at the points you’re at. It’s pretty much impossible to catch up. Plus, according to most guys, the general tag option is just as good as units you can draw in that 5-8ish point range.

Get a general tag, you won’t be disappointed! As was stated above the general tags are capped for non-residents and not offered over the counter! I’m a resident and hunt general almost every year. Honestly the crowding isn’t an issue if you get away from the roads. I believe the general tag is just as good if not better than many limited quota tags.

Get a general tag, you won’t be disappointed! As was stated above the general tags are capped for non-residents and not offered over the counter! I’m a resident and hunt general almost every year. Honestly the crowding isn’t an issue if you get away from the roads. I believe the general tag is just as good if not better than many limited quota tags.
My bad for not realizing they were capped. But that is good to know. It will be interesting to see if there is any point creep for general tags like Montana is starting to see.

Do you want to hunt elk now or in 10-15 years?
True. I think a few of us waited to see if we drew Wyoming, and if not there was always Colorado or Idaho for OTC. Guess that option is gone now. Just have to adjust and get used to it now.

By my calculations WY elk point creep is around .5 of a point a year, that’s what I use for my planning purposes. I’m in the same boat as you with 3 points and would like a higher point unit. But Ive also hunted Gen and it was very good.

No sense in waiting. There's big elk everywhere. You're not going to kill bigger elk in a unit that's going to be harder to draw all the time. Yes some units have higher averages but, do you want to hunt or sit on a bunch of points? From all my research, you can kill big elk in any general unit. You just have to be willing to put the work into it.

There are a couple things being stated in this thread that are not 100% true. General NR tags are not capped. Total NR tags, for General and Full price LQ tags are capped at 7250. This does not include tags that are issued as leftovers. They draw the NR LQ tags based on the 84/16 res/NR allocation then subtract that number from 7250. What ever that number ends up being is how many NR gen tags they will draw. It is usually around 4500-4600 NR general licenses. As the number of NR Full price LQ tags either increases or decreases the number of NR gen tags will change in the opposite direction. The best case scenario for the General Tag elk hunter in Wyoming, whether you are a res or NR, is that LQ tag numbers Statewide continue to increase. This will put less general tag hunters in the field, regardless of their residency status. The 7250 cap on NR full price elk licenses is the number one reason why elk hunting in Wyoming is so remarkably positive, for both LQ hunts and General hunts. IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, there is, and has been for a while now. I may decide to draw a general tag with my 3 points this year. If I do, I wouldn't expect to hunt a general unit again for 6+ years.
That's amazing, especially when you consider that it wasn't long ago that you didn't need any points to draw a general tag. It really underscores the idea of cashing the points in on the general tag now and not waiting.

There are a couple things being stated in this thread that are not 100% true. General NR tags are not capped. Total NR tags, for General and Full price LQ tags are capped at 7250. This does not include tags that are issued as leftovers. They draw the NR LQ tags based on the 80/20 res/NR allocation then subtract that number from 7250. What ever that number ends up being is how many NR gen tags they will draw. It is usually around 4500-4600 NR general licenses. As the number of NR Full price LQ tags either increases or decreases the number of NR gen tags will change in the opposite direction. The best case scenario for the General Tag elk hunter in Wyoming, whether you are a res or NR, is that LQ tag numbers Statewide continue to increase. This will put less general tag hunters in the field, regardless of their residency status. The 7250 cap on NR full price elk licenses is the number one reason why elk hunting in Wyoming is so remarkably positive, for both LQ hunts and General hunts. IMO.

Everyone should read that post twice...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back