Wyoming Nonresident Elk Draw Result Date Changed

I think they're going to lose some NR applicants/hunters with these new changes. They are now holding you and your money hostage from Jan 31st to mid-May through the peak of application season with no way to return tags if you draw in multiple states. You basically are being forced to put all your eggs in one basket if you want to try to hunt Wyoming.

Good news is maybe point creep will slow down with the fewer number of applicants

Last edited:
I think they're going to lose some NR applicants/hunters with these new changes. They are now holding you and your money hostage from Jan 31st to mid-May through the peak of application season with no way to return tags of you draw in multiple states. You basically are being forced to put all your eggs in one basket if you want to try to hunt Wyoming.

Good news is maybe point creep will slow down with the fewer number of applicants

There will be more applicants this year compared to last and point creep will continue this year and next...and next..and next...

There will be more applicants this year compared to last and point creep will continue this year and next...and next..and next...
One scenario I can imagine is less people taking longshot chances in the normal drawing and hoarding points until they feel it's safe to risk the money to apply and waiting until they feel the tag they want is a sure thing. Everyone collecting points and afraid to use them, which will probably accelerate the creep even faster.

This has been discussed multiple times on about every single hunting forum on the web. It’ll change some people’s strategies but it won’t change people’s desire to hunt Wyoming.

I don't know whether to be glad or sad I went ahead and used my pref. points this past season.

When I was there I swore I’d never come back. Now I can’t wait to go back!
They’ll make a hefty amount of money off the interest on the held tag fees.

NR results will be posted third week of May. This is still before the resident draw which means some tags that NR's would otherwise get, will still end up in the leftover pool where residents may get them. Am I missing something? Are they moving the Resident draw up to May instead of June?

Why not change the application date and draw results to the same time as residents? I liked the early NR elk draw in Wyoming but I understand why it was changed.

I have no issue with the application period being after the bios have had a chance to gauge the herd as winter is winding down. Delaying the draw results more than two weeks from close of application period ends is a sign of an antiquated system. Not having residents and non-resident application and draw dates in sync is a sign of games being played. The slowing economy and burning off of 10+ point totals by previously "point only" applicants will take its toll. $1000 opportunity hunts will be viewed differently when are holding no points and the mortgage is due.

Doesn’t bother me one bit as a non resident. They can hold on to my money, if I don’t draw then it’s off to OTC in Colorado. Only problem it will create for me is my relatively Tight wadded hunting partner probably won’t apply now so I’d be going solo. Oh well!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back