Wyoming Non-Resident Quota

Schaaf

Question for people that have been in the application game longer than I have. As a non resident putting in for Wyoming Sheep with very few preference points I am wanting to put in for a unit that gives me the highest odds in the random draw.

Does Wyoming release the upcoming season quota numbers for each unit so you know how many tags are being allocated to residents and non residents, or are you forced to go off of past trends and hope that they don't lower the quota so when they happen to lower the tags you have zero chance if there are no tags headed towards the random draw.

I have been unable to find the information I'm looking for but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Quotas should be out the last week of March for the upcoming public meetings. If it's the same format as what I saw for 2014 they will breakout the res/nr tags per hunt.

So you apply not knowing how many tags are allocated for each unit?

That was what I feared.

substitute "hunt area" for "hunt" above...

Clipboard01_zpsiy7x9qhq.jpg

Last edited:
Schaaf,

The quotas wont be finalized until the April commission meetings.

In the random draw, I would look at units 2, 3, and 5...there will more than likely be a random tag issued in each of those.

This is becoming a real issue with applicants, and unfortunately the GF is not being real receptive of changing the application deadline to a later date.

Its on the radar and myself and a friend from Casper have been hounding the Commission and GF Department about it for a couple years. Making some head-way on it.

It would be nice if the quotas were finalized so that all the information was out there for both R and NR hunters so these types of decisions can be made.

Yeah, it pushes the draw dates back a bit, but IMO, its worth it to have the information up front before you make a decision.

If someone was to put in for Unit 3 and then by some odd chance they decided to have no NR tags in the random draw would you be able to switch Unit 2 or 5 prior to the Modify/Withdraw deadline of April 15th?

Great info, thanks Buzz and Wapiti. I put in for area 2, and will now check the new quota once available.

Keep in mind that if the same units for a high demand species tend to have random tags then merely looking at the most recent draw statistics will not necessarily provide the answer to your question.

If you look at several years of draw statistics then will sometimes see two or three of the lesser quality units shift around in a rubber band effect where the best odds last year will leapfrog 2 or 3 units while another unit, perhaps the hardest to draw of the so-so units, will see a drop this year.

Everyone wants a tag. Fool's Gold is merely jumping on the easiest to draw unit from last year thinking it will be easiest again this year. Might be. Usually is not. But a chance.

If someone was to put in for Unit 3 and then by some odd chance they decided to have no NR tags in the random draw would you be able to switch Unit 2 or 5 prior to the Modify/Withdraw deadline of April 15th?

No you wouldn't be able to do that.

The quotas wont be finalized until after the modify date. The season setting commission meeting is always the one held in Casper, this year its April 21-22.

Typically, there are not many changes to the proposed quotas for sheep, moose, goat, etc. I've seen some changes happen at the Commission meetings however, so its not set in stone.

Good luck in the draw.

So you apply not knowing how many tags are allocated for each unit?

That was what I feared.

I think there's tons of people that do this cuz they dint know where/how to find out the quotas or stats

Back