Wyoming Non Resident Elk Tags

Hornsgalore

All,

Does anyone know if you do not get drawn in the 2016 non-resident is there any land owner tags available and where I could find them? Also could you use a land owner tag in a general unit area? Thanks in advance!

I'm 99% sure that in Wyoming land owner tags are not transferable. They do have a few auction tags you could bid on though.

Landowner tags in Wyoming can't be used by anyone other than immediate family. There are a few Governors tags and each Commissioner gets a few that are usually given to conservation organizations that are either auctioned off or put in a raffle.

So, everyone pretty much answered your question about getting a landowner tag.

It sounds to me like your general question is if there are tags available to someone who did not get drawn in the lottery.

The answer is yes. There are lots of leftover tags available every year as well as reduced price cow tags also.

So, if you're looking for a second chance opportunity to still hunt this year, the list of leftover tags will be posted on the WY website. Look at the tags and see if there is a zone you would like to hunt. You can buy a leftover tag without burning your points. Residents get first crack at leftover tags, but there are always plenty of leftovers. I picked up a leftover cow tag last year in a trophy bull unit. We got to see plenty of amazing bulls and still brought home a fat cow for the freezer.

So, everyone pretty much answered your question about getting a landowner tag.

It sounds to me like your general question is if there are tags available to someone who did not get drawn in the lottery.

The answer is yes. There are lots of leftover tags available every year as well as reduced price cow tags also.

So, if you're looking for a second chance opportunity to still hunt this year, the list of leftover tags will be posted on the WY website. Look at the tags and see if there is a zone you would like to hunt. You can buy a leftover tag without burning your points. Residents get first crack at leftover tags, but there are always plenty of leftovers. I picked up a leftover cow tag last year in a trophy bull unit. We got to see plenty of amazing bulls and still brought home a fat cow for the freezer.

Partially correct on the first statement I bolded and incorrect on the second. There aren't that many bull tags left after the draw and they are in some areas that are tough to hunt. Also, when all the leftovers go on sale in July it's on a first come first serve basis online regardless of residency.

Last edited:
Back