Wyoming Maps

Hatchie Dawg

Is there a Wyoming equivalent to the CO State NDIS/Hunting Atlas system that shows the public land overlays along with hunt units onto a topo or aerial map? Interested in an antelope hunt.

HD

You can add topo and BLM gis servers to your ArcGis explorer or Google Earth installations, then add the unit bndry files.

University of Wyoming used to host a service like that. It was slick. However, I think they got their funding pulled and it's no more.

Sounds like Bob needs to put on a webinar. I think many here would appreciate that info.

As much knowledge as Bob has on all that stuff, he should actually start his own business and make his hunting money off of it!

Thanks Bob. Lots of help for us non-computer friendly guys!
Now I just got to figure out how to turn this thing on.......

Ok have the topo overlay now. It was easy really. Bob's video made me feel dumb and smart at the same time.

Blm is the same process, you just type in a different link in your Internet web browser. I'll post it shortly . GE has a little trouble with its transparency from what I have seen.
I use arcgis explorer rather then google earth.

At the start of the video, instead of typing in the "services.arcgis" link, copy and past or click this link:

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services

then click on "SMA" part way down the page

then click the "view foorprint in" google earth link (not "view in" link)

everything from this point on is the same as the video for the topo map server

Last edited:
Ok, so here's the deal. I don't have a GPS yet, but will have one before elk season. What I would like to find is a gps that has the capabilities to give you a topo map, and outline the elk areas so I know if this drainage or that drainage is the right drainage and I am not in the wrong area.

BUT, I would also like the idea of being able to have a hard copy map of the exact same thing so if the wonderful technology of a gps fails me, (or batteries go dead or it takes a hard fall), then I have a backup.

Does anyone know if something like this exists?

I've been trying to research this and really have not found what I am looking for. It may be very easy, but I have no idea how to tackle what Wapiti Bob is talking about.

If you purchase the "download version" of huntinggps maps for your state, install that state map on your PC, and then transfer it to your GPS, you will have a copy available in "Basecamp" on your PC and the same map on your GPS. You will need to install Garmin's Basecamp also.
You can print the map from Basecamp PROVIDED you used the download version. The maps that come pre installed on the SD card will load into basecamp when that SD card is plugged into the pc or when the GPS is plugged in but you can't print that map.

Give the guys at huntinggps maps a call and they should be able to answer your questions.

Ok WB, I know you are kinda holding my hand and I do appreciate it, but I have another question. I have the BLM overlays now but I think it is just BLM land. I don't see any Forest Service etc. Is there such an overlay that would show the other public lands?

Thanks for your help
HD

If you're talking about the Google Earth stuff, I have done topo and BLM only so far. I have added state land to mine but it's only for NM and in arcgis. There is probably a state land file somewhere for WY but I have not looked very hard for one. I may call the state office and see what they have.

IIRC it's BLM land that was acquired through the act of that name. As far as I am aware, for hunting it's the same as BLM land, open to your use.

HD,

Not sure if it will help you out or not but we do have a GE overlay for all of WY. It has been updated for 2013 and shows all BLM, USFS, State,Tribal, County, and any other lands right in Google Earth. For the private land it also gives the boundaries for every house/ranch in the state and the landowner name. We also have all of the antelope, deer, and elk unit boundaries on it as well. You can select to turn certain layers on or off as you wish. And you can control the transparency of each layer from 0-100% so you can still easily see the satellite imagery. Might be worth checking out if you want the cost is $40.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/hunt-wyoming-for-google-earth-1368

Good luck in WY this year I'm getting ready to put in my application for antelope as well, fingers crossed.

Matt

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back