Wyoming Leftover Unit tagged out

wildaggie13

This was my first time to apply in a leftover tag unit and I'm sure glad I did. There was suppose to be 600 tag holders in the unit but we never saw one. I guess most pronghorn hunters aren't as crazy as I am to hike 7 miles from the truck and camp out. My wife and I hiked into the unit on Sunday to scout the day before the opener. We found most of the pronghorn 6 miles in and setup camp that evening with a plan to get 2 shot the next morning. She is a school teacher and needed to be back at work Wednesday, so with the 20 hr. drive that morning was all the time we had to hunt. At 7:45am I had her 125 yards from her buck and she dropped him in the chest. As I was cleaning her buck she saw another one running a doe so I got the gun and ran around some hills to cut them off. At 8:15am I had my buck down. I couldn't believe it all worked out so well. After skinning, quartering, and deboning, we went to break camp. She carried most of camp and the rifle as I carried both pronghorn heads, meat, water, and a few camp items. After a long 5 hour hike we made it to the truck and made it back to Texas by Tuesday night!! If you look at the pics you will notice that the terrain looks more like mule deer country than pronghorn. Lots of large hills with deep drains between them. I needed to burn a few calories anyways! Hope everyone else has as much fun as we did on our adventure. I'm already planning next season!

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_2778.jpg
    IMG_2778.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_2786.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 505
Right on buddy, you guys did great on those bucks. Hope that Hille serves you well, sweet little shelter.

Congratulations, sounds and looks like a great trip.

We will be there in a couple days and it sounds like it will look a lot different with a few inches of snow coming!

Outstanding! Is that spandex you’re wearing in the pack out picture!?

Wow you guys did great! Hard work payed off!

Did you guys see many muleys?

Last edited:
Now THAT is a hunt! Nice to have a wife that likes to do that, also. Few people really realize how rough country can hold some nice lopes and little pressure. I have seen them up in the pines, even. That spot will produce antelope and memories for you every year.

haha. It got up to 63 degrees that afternoon so I just wore my merino wool boxers and a merino t shirt. I only packed warm pants bc it was 35 in the mornings. The funny part is when we got to the truck a game warden was there. I shook HER hand and said "Sorry I'm in my underwear"!! haha. She didn't care.

Wow you guys did great! Hard work payed off!

Did you guys see many muleys?

we saw lots of muleys but also saw hunters in the 1-3 mile range from the road. Most of the mule deer were young bucks and does. Probably saw 40 total in day and a half.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back