Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming left over tags

billy-bob8

I have wanted to hunt Wyo. antelope for some time and have been putting in for bonus points to draw a quality unit, but I would like to come hunt this fall with an over the counter leftover tag to get the " lay of the land ". Not looking for a world record just a good time hunting with family and friends. what would you guys recomend as a unit that normally has left over tags and reasonable public access? any help would be greatly appreciated

Left over tags and reasonable public land access doesn't really go together.

If you are willing to pay the extra price, you can put in for a hard to draw unit with your first choice and an easy to draw unit with your 2nd choice. There are 2nd choice units that you are almost guaranteed to draw in the special drawing that take 1 or 2 points in the general drawing.

Most if not all leftover reduced tags are doe/fawn with private land hunting only. Don't let that turn you off as there are a lot of WIA on private land . The last 2 years that I have gone I have had no problem in finding areas to hunt.
Robert

That really isn't true because there are a ton of leftover buck tags, although a big percentage are in units with little public land, as well as numerous reduced price doe/fawn tags that are good on public lands. The tags that are sold after the draw are not reduced in price from what was charged in the draw other than the $14 application fee is dropped. Look on the F&G website and see if there are reduced price Type 6 doe/fawn tags for the unit you are waiting to draw a buck tag. Then look in the odds section to see if you need to put in for the draw or if they have leftovers that you can by for $34 in July. If you can buy a couple of those licenses, you could have a very cheap hunt this year and get to know "the lay of the land" like you want to do.

There are lots of units with leftover buck tags in WY every year. My friend and I took a nice buck in the first 30 minutes of a hunt just this past season on a leftover tag after finishing a hunt in MT. early. This was also the last week of antelope season. I would suggest getting a good GPS and huntinggpsmaps.com and do lots of research. There are tons of places out there on BLM,WIA, and other public areas.

I should have added to my first post that I did manage to take a buck on a left over tag last year. The key point to the original post is that there isn't much "reasonable" public land available but there is "some" if you look hard enough.

Study what units have left overs and research those units on Wy. website for WIA and Hunter Management Units.These are private lands open to public hunting;some by draw only to hunt.Best way to hunt IMO.you can hunt every year and get points too

Study what units have left overs and research those units on Wy. website for WIA and Hunter Management Units.These are private lands open to public hunting;some by draw only to hunt.Best way to hunt IMO.you can hunt every year and get points too
Good advice and I agree. My only complaint with the HMA/WIA program in WY is that the available properties and rules don't come out until after the draw. So, if you are putting in for a unit where your only option is one HMA/WIA I'd be a bit cautious as it may or may not be enrolled that year.

Most are reenrolled every year,but if your worried call the game commission office.They know if its been a long standing WIA or HMA

I hunted the past two years off left over tags, first year being unit 29 and last year being unit 30. Unit 29 did not have any left over tags last year, but the year before it had almost 450 tags. We hunted the Thunder Basin public land and only saw 2 other hunters the five days we were there. Saw tons of speed goats and everyone limited out.
Last year my son and I did hunt in two HMA's and limited out. Saw alot more hunters. I did talk a a deputy who had a gps and he saw some on public ground and told me were the public was at. I am for sure getting a GPS this year as my dad and I will be trying to do a mule deer hunt.
Hope this helps. More public in 29, but less in 30. 30 has more left over tags, 29 might not have any.
Good luck:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back